The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 10:03am
Official Forum Member

Skunk.....in the infield??

Guess weve all heard of the "skunk in the outfield" strategy. Though Ive never seen in...but has anyone ever seen the play in this video? And it was done in a college game....Not sure about elsewhere around the country, but here in So Cal, if this was tried, someone is getting a pearl in the ribs.
Video is at a bit of a bad angle, but R1 starts running AT the pitcher, then veers back towards 2nd, hoping to distract, so R3 can score..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=87R1YMTpBxk
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Now if were the D manager, I'd ask the PU if the R1 was doing something to make the pitcher balk. If so........
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
Now if were the D manager, I'd ask the PU if the R1 was doing something to make the pitcher balk. If so........
If I were the D manager, I'd be too embarassed of my clueless defense to complain abut anything.

And, if that's a college game, it provides an explanation of how some posters can claim to be college umpires.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 01:32pm
Official Forum Member

In FED rules, there's a small rule:

8-4-2n: Any runner is out when he: runs bases in reverse to confuse opponents or makes a travesty of the game

While I know that judgment of "travesty" is next to impossible, could you say this situation falls into that category?
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yawetag
In FED rules, there's a small rule:

8-4-2n: Any runner is out when he: runs bases in reverse to confuse opponents or makes a travesty of the game

While I know that judgment of "travesty" is next to impossible, could you say this situation falls into that category?
No.
The runner is doing NOTHING which is prohibited by the Rules [unless, maybe - trying to make F1 balk - for which there is a separate and sufficient penalty, and it ain't an out].
Only really stupid umpires even consider the "travesty" rule UNLESS the runner is running bases in reverse.
Don't be a really stupid umpire.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Works for me. I would have assumed the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbfoulds
No.
The runner is doing NOTHING which is prohibited by the Rules [unless, maybe - trying to make F1 balk - for which there is a separate and sufficient penalty, and it ain't an out].
Only really stupid umpires even consider the "travesty" rule UNLESS the runner is running bases in reverse.
Don't be a really stupid umpire.
Old Fri Aug 22, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Theoretically; Eject R1 for charging the mound. Send R3 back because you called time when R1 charged the mound. Prepare for more ejections and a really bad day.

Actuality; I do nothing, the play stands. No rule that I know of to penalize for what they did.