The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Buying yourself (and your partner) trouble

Worked an MSBL game last night on the bases. My partner is around fifty and has been officiating for quite a while. Unfortunately his mechanics have deteriorated to the point where his strike zone is suffering.

In the second inning he calls a high strike three. Batter and bench are all over him. Batter is openly hostile arguing toe to toe at the plate. Bench is going nuts. Plate ump allows the arguing. When I hear, "that's horse#$%" come from the bench I draw the line and tell them to knock it off. Being that I was the base ump I didn't want to be the one ejecting for arguing balls and strikes. However, had I been behind the plate I would have ejected the batter for sure and quite possibly the person in the dugout screaming about horse excrement.

Things simmer down a bit but three innings later a similar call sets the batter and his team off again. This time my partner finally gets around to warning them. Again, the arguing should have warranted an ejection.

Bottom of the ninth and the same team is trying to even up the score. Batter goes 0-2. Third pitch is a check swing. Partner comes to me and I signal out. All hell breaks loose. Batter comes down the line and I chuck him. Father of one of the players sitting behind home plate comes unglued (these players are all over 25) and starts screaming profanities and plate ump finally gets off his duff and tosses him. In the meantime I'm dealing with the bench threatening that one of them is next to go if they can't figure out how to be quiet. The result of another ejection would be a forfeit as they only had nine players left.

Anyway, the team calms down and ties the game. We go two more innings in this four hour marathon with the other team winning by one.

One of the problems with this league is that the same group of umps work the games year in and year out and become chummy with the teams. This makes it rough for some of the umps to dispense punishment when it's warranted. I believe that this is the case with what happened in the game. Plate ump, in an effort to be all things to all people, compromised his ability to do some of the less than pleasant functions of his job. His inability to nut it up in the second inning caused the huge problem in the bottom of the ninth and made it so I had to do his job for him.

What have we learned from this incident?

1. While it's ok for umps to be friendly with the teams this warm relationship should not compromise your ability to do your job.

2. By being too lax in your responsibiities you make it tough on the next group of officials who have a more normal view on rule enforcement and do not give the same lattitude.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

I also do MSBL on Sundays in Las Vegas. I know alot of the players from doing there games from LL, HS, some that went to college. Then MSBL. They know that I have no problem ejecting them. When they argue balls and strikes and other judgement calls I offer them a umpire uniform to help us. I have also been known to tell them that they only play 1 game a week and that if I called a tight zone there games would go 5 hrs. They few times I might have a tight zone they will tell me Jim open that zone up.
Old Wed Aug 13, 2008, 05:38pm
Veteran College Umpire

[QUOTE=IceGator8]One of the problems with this league is that the same group of umps work the games year in and year out and become chummy with the teams. This makes it rough for some of the umps to dispense punishment when it's warranted. I believe that this is the case with what happened in the game. Plate ump, in an effort to be all things to all people, compromised his ability to do some of the less than pleasant functions of his job. His inability to nut it up in the second inning caused the huge problem in the bottom of the ninth and made it so I had to do his job for him.

1. While it's ok for umps to be friendly with the teams this warm relationship should not compromise your ability to do your job.[QUOTE]

They aren't called rats for no reason. There is nothing to gain by being their "buddy" during the game. We're there to be impartial, and you can't be "buddies" with ANYONE and be impartial.

JJ
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Do not umpire MSBL games.

They are by far the worst no matter if you call a great game or not. They are cry babys.

Pete Booth
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:04am
rei

"Guys, I am not going to listen to you argues balls and strikes today. If you want to play today, keep quiet and play ball" always seems to work. When it doesn't, the first ejection usually takes care of the rest.

I agree that MSBL tends to be a bit whiney, but it is still game management that gets you through it looking good. If you can't manage it, you probably shouldn't be doing that "level" of ball until you learn how to manage it.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:06am
rei

I have plenty of "friends" and "buddies" that play MSBL too. I have tossed a few of them and we have a good laugh about it when we see each other away from the field.

It is starting to look like some of you around here can't handle ANY critical comments towards you.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGator8
1. While it's ok for umps to be friendly with the teams
Not really. Familiarity = contempt.

I have had this same issue before...old(er) partner, been umping since the earth cooled, EVERYbody knows/loves the old man, but he's been at it too long and when the game starts they run all over him and he can't/won't defend himself.

When it got bad I started ejecting on his behalf and cleaned up his mess, just to regain some semblance of control over matters. That's a 'team' aspect of umpiring, when your partner's failure reaches the point of threatening the game. It's a near last resort but if you gotta, you gotta....

Last edited by LMan; Thu Aug 14, 2008 at 11:37am.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:35am

I was never too crazy about MSBL and NABA games, as the players were usually former minor and major leaguers who still thought they were the greatest thing to ever come down the pike. I had these guys on short leashes as far as taking any BS.

I did really like working the Mexican-American adult leagues, however. They still whined and argued, but they always had some great Mexican food and cold cervezas after the games. You could be friendly with them and still throw them out of games when needed. Like rei said, we'd have a good laugh about it later over beer and other nice bennies . I would never allow what the umpire in the OP allowed to happen.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:37am

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
No, familiarity breeds contempt. I always wear my Familiarity Condom .
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
No, familiarity breeds contempt. I always wear my Familiarity Condom .
Pfft, this is the IntardWeb age...... we use symbols now
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 12:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rei

It is starting to look like some of you around here can't handle ANY critical comments towards you.
Trust me, these players were over the line. My partner should have taken care of it.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 03:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to umpduck11
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan

I have had this same issue before...old(er) partner, been umping since the earth cooled, EVERYbody knows/loves the old man, but he's been at it too long and when the game starts they run all over him and he can't/won't defend himself.
Are you SURE you don't live in Birmingham ? 'Cause I'd swear I know this gentleman.....
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by umpduck11
Are you SURE you don't live in Birmingham ? 'Cause I'd swear I know this gentleman.....
I think we all know him.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
I won't do MSBL anymore, for all the reasons sighted above.

I do agree with Steve, the Mexican league games I have done have been fantastic. The level of play is pretty good, all the pitchers want to be the next Fernando Valenzuela. And, the after game picnic was a thing of beauty, I must say.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Thu Aug 14, 2008, 07:20pm
rei

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGator8
Trust me, these players were over the line. My partner should have taken care of it.
My comment was not directed at you per se.