The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Another Balk Question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/47074-another-balk-question.html)

Hemibee Sun Aug 10, 2008 03:32am

Another Balk Question

While watching a high school summer league game the following occurred.

Count of 1-2, with a R2. The pitcher did not come set before the pitch, BU called “Balk,” pitch is hit, a chopper to F5 who looks R2 back to second, throws to first but BR beats the throw. BU then places BR at first and R2 at third. DC, BU and PU conference and R2 is moved back to second, BR remains at first. I overheard catcher ask PU what the ruling was and PU told him BR gets first due to hit, R2 goes back to second due to not advancing on hit. Never heard anything from the OC questioning the movement of his players.

I’m new to Umpiring but after 14 years of coaching I would have had a few things to say to the PU & BU if I have the rules correct which I guess they are playing FED rules. Since R2 did not advance on the play shouldn’t the outcome have been R2 to third and BR back to the plate with a 1-2 count?

JRutledge Sun Aug 10, 2008 03:44am

FED rules are simple. A balk is an immediate dead ball and all runners advance one base. There is no "if the runners advance" part of FED Rules. The count would stay the same as there is no pitch on a balk. That is of course if they are playing under FED Rules.

Peace

Ump29 Sun Aug 10, 2008 05:47am

Under OBR the result would be the same (R2 at 3rd and BR with same count) as both BR and and any other runners did not advance at least 1 base on the pitch after the balk.

soundedlikeastrike Sun Aug 17, 2008 02:12pm

"Never heard anything from the OC questioning the movement of his players."

Heck no, now his .097 hitting, # 9 guy, is on 1B, instead of & 2 strikes.

OBR, had R2 advanced "on the throw", I'd a left em R3, R1.

Does NCAA stay live?

bob jenkins Sun Aug 17, 2008 04:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by soundedlikeastrike
"Never heard anything from the OC questioning the movement of his players."

Heck no, now his .097 hitting, # 9 guy, is on 1B, instead of & 2 strikes.

OBR, had R2 advanced "on the throw", I'd a left em R3, R1

That would be correct becuase everyone advanced at least one base on the play.

Quote:

Does NCAA stay live?
This NCAA rule is the same as the OBR rule

RPatrino Sun Aug 17, 2008 06:42pm

FED is the only code where a balk is an automatic dead ball. Makes things interesting for those of us who work the other codes as well.

johnnyg08 Sun Aug 17, 2008 07:17pm

FED is simple, as other posters have said...if you have a balk...everything stops period.

SanDiegoSteve Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:11pm

Oops, I did it again...

I had originally misread the OP, and incorrectly answered the question concerning OBR. I thought that the BR did not advance at least one base.

johnnyg08 Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:22pm

so in this sitch, since the BR reaches but R2 doesn't advance at least one base...do you keep the BR @ 1B,then move R2 to 3b...?? OBR/NCAA interp

dash_riprock Mon Aug 18, 2008 05:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08
so in this sitch, since the BR reaches but R2 doesn't advance at least one base...do you keep the BR @ 1B,then move R2 to 3b...?? OBR/NCAA interp

No. Since R2 didn't advance, the ball is dead and the balk must be enforced. Put the batter back in the box (no pitch) and award R2 3rd base.

johnnyg08 Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:14am

could the coach take the play, leaving it R2 and R1? or is that not an option in this sitch?

Rich Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:26am

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyg08
could the coach take the play, leaving it R2 and R1? or is that not an option in this sitch?

A balk is never, NEVER an option play, although coaches (and unfortunately some umpires) think it is. Catcher's interference IS an option play, which is where I think the confusion lies, for some reason.

UmpJM Mon Aug 18, 2008 04:49pm

As a matter of fact, I believe there are only 3 situations under OBR rules where a manager can choose the result of the play or the penalty. As Rich says, a balk ain't one of them, while Catcher's Interference MAY be one, depending on the result of the play.

JM

Fan10 Mon Aug 18, 2008 09:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by UmpJM (nee CoachJM)
As a matter of fact, I believe there are only 3 situations under OBR rules where a manager can choose the result of the play or the penalty. As Rich says, a balk ain't one of them, while Catcher's Interference MAY be one, depending on the result of the play.

JM

Let me see if I can do this:

1. Catcher's interference and a play follows where the batter does not reach first and all runners don't advance at least one base

2. Pitcher doctors ball and a play follows where the batter does not reach first and all runners don't advance at least one base

3. The fourth out where an appeal play is made on a play where the third out is made and the coach has the option of taking the out that gives them the bigger advantage.

How did I do?

johnnyg08 Mon Aug 18, 2008 09:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichMSN
A balk is never, NEVER an option play, although coaches (and unfortunately some umpires) think it is. Catcher's interference IS an option play, which is where I think the confusion lies, for some reason.

thank you. i'd rather ask and learn on here versus get it wrong on the field.