The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Another Balk Question (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/47074-another-balk-question.html)

yawetag Tue Aug 19, 2008 01:45pm

In NFHS, you can choose the outcome if it's found that a player has an illegal glove and made a play on the ball. I don't know if this is the same in other organizations.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fan10
Let me see if I can do this:

1. Catcher's interference and a play follows where the batter does not reach first and all runners don't advance at least one base

2. Pitcher doctors ball and a play follows where the batter does not reach first and all runners don't advance at least one base

3. The fourth out where an appeal play is made on a play where the third out is made and the coach has the option of taking the out that gives them the bigger advantage.

How did I do?

Gaff Tue Aug 19, 2008 02:08pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag
In NFHS, you can choose the outcome if it's found that a player has an illegal glove and made a play on the ball. I don't know if this is the same in other organizations.

Rule reference please

SanDiegoSteve Tue Aug 19, 2008 02:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaff
Rule reference please

Rule 1-5-3.

yawetag Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:43am

Rule 1-5-7: "If a ball is touched with an illegal glove or mitt...the coach or captain of the team at bat has the choice of taking the result of the play or having the award..."

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaff
Rule reference please

Jim Camp Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:57am

There are only 2 situations the coach has options. Catchers intererance and illegal pitch.

SanDiegoSteve Wed Aug 20, 2008 02:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by yawetag
Rule 1-5-7: "If a ball is touched with an illegal glove or mitt...the coach or captain of the team at bat has the choice of taking the result of the play or having the award..."

I only have a 2005 book, and it's 1-5-3 in mine. Same rule.

Steven Tyler Wed Aug 20, 2008 02:25am

No penalty for use of an illegal glove. It is simply removed from the game. This was a rule change for 2008.

bob jenkins Wed Aug 20, 2008 08:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
No penalty for use of an illegal glove. It is simply removed from the game. This was a rule change for 2008.

I thought that was just for the "white on a pitchers glove" rule. Other illegal gloves (too large, for example) still had the penalty.

yawetag Wed Aug 20, 2008 09:42am

Steven, are you referring to NFHS? If so, then I have to disagree. I have the 2008 book, which I quoted from directly.

Looking at the 2009 Rules changes, I see nothing for illegal gloves for fielders, just pitchers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven Tyler

Steven Tyler Wed Aug 20, 2008 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I thought that was just for the "white on a pitchers glove" rule. Other illegal gloves (too large, for example) still had the penalty.

Good catch. NFHS rules.

Legal length top to bottom-14".
Legal width of palm-8".
Legal width of webbing-5".

Catcher's glove may be any size.