The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member

Two Balk Questions-OBR

1. R1, pitcher pivots to throw to 1st, slips and is falling down but still "throws"/attempts to throw to 1st. Ball trickles towards 1st base but doesn't even make it to the cut out. Balk?

2. R1, RHP pitcher balks by "opening the gate" to throw to 1st. Overthrows first, R1 advances around bases to home and scores. Still a live ball becuase of play being made. How far can he advance, and when does he become liable for being putout.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 07:45pm

1. No

2. He advances until he stops or is put out by the defense. He is liable to be put out at any point after he touches his awarded base (second) and attempts further advancement and is not touching a base, until he touches home, just like at any other time. There is no limitation on the number of bases he can advance, he just does so at his own risk. Rule 8.05(c) APPROVED RULING #1.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 07:49pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12
1. R1, pitcher pivots to throw to 1st, slips and is falling down but still "throws"/attempts to throw to 1st. Ball trickles towards 1st base but doesn't even make it to the cut out. Balk?

2. R1, RHP pitcher balks by "opening the gate" to throw to 1st. Overthrows first, R1 advances around bases to home and scores. Still a live ball because of play being made. How far can he advance, and when does he become liable for being putout.
What is "opening the gate"? If he throws to first, how has the pitcher balked?
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
What is "opening the gate"? If he throws to first, how has the pitcher balked?
Pitch lifts front foot, as to going to home and swings all the way around to throw to first. Doesn't not move back foot either to step off or to make a turn. Just swings all the way around to throw.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12
Pitch lifts front foot, as to going to home and swings all the way around to throw to first. Doesn't not move back foot either to step off or to make a turn. Just swings all the way around to throw.

As long as the "swing" is done in a fluid and continuous motion, and the pivot foot gains distance and direction to first, this isn't a balk. Although, I can't envision it being done without an ACL tear.

Tim.
Old Sun Jul 27, 2008, 09:02pm

I don't know about all this "opening the gate" BS, but my answer was for a balk on the pitcher whlie overthrowing to a base, in this case, first base.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
As long as the "swing" is done in a fluid and continuous motion, and the pivot foot gains distance and direction to first, this isn't a balk. Although, I can't envision it being done without an ACL tear.

Tim.
It's a balk because of "lifts foot as going to home (sic)". As I read it, the lift was toward the "balance point" before F1 turned and threw to first.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

A is not a balk; B is a balk. The second that his cleats on his left foot leave the dirt he has to go to the plate. It's a move normally associated with a delivery.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Huh,

Quote:
"The second that his cleats on his left foot leave the dirt he has to go to the plate."
Please explain this statement . . . it has me a little confused.

Regards,
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

I'm just some umpire, who was commenting on the situation of a right-handed pitcher making a move to first base. I don't know how you missed that part. The cleats leave the dirt reference was a simple symbol of the foot leaving the ground. And when a right-handed pitcher picks up his left (front) foot, and then does not deliver a pitch, but instead turns and throws to first, it is a balk. Why the confusion? And how is it not a balk?

Last edited by bob jenkins; Tue Jul 29, 2008 at 08:34am.
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Umpire Guy
I'm just some umpire, who was commenting on the situation of a right-handed pitcher making a move to first base. I don't know how you missed that part. The cleats leave the dirt reference was a simple symbol of the foot leaving the ground. And when a right-handed pitcher picks up his left (front) foot, and then does not deliver a pitch, but instead turns and throws to first, it is a balk. Why the confusion? And how is it not a balk?
No, we umpire according to the rules, and according to the rules, you are wrong.

Three things the rules state that any pitcher can do (From the rubber):

1. Pitch
2. Disengage
3. Step and throw to a base.

Please explain how he can perform #3 without lifting his foot off the ground.

Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

He lifted his front foot and then threw to first. OK? I'm sorry that you guys decided to make a debate about the one part of this topic that not debatable ... whether scenario B is a balk.

Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.A. Umpire Guy
Wow.

He lifted his front foot and then threw to first.

So?
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

Ok,

Question to La Umpire Guy:

Let's keep it simple:

Are you saying that a right handed pitcher must disengage, do a jump-turn or do a jab step when attempting a pick-off at first base?

Even more elemental:

Are you saying a right handed pitcher cannot throw to first base, on a pipckoff attempt, from the set position when in contact with the pitcher's plate?

Regards,
Old Mon Jul 28, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

This is just for the gentlemen here, like chuckfan1:

I will defer that in order to perform a legal pop move, the left foot leaves the ground and a delivery is not made. But it leaves the ground at the same time as the right foot. So, if the left foot leaves the ground first, or without the right, and there is not a delivery to the plate, it's a balk.

When Lou Brock stole a base, against most pitchers, including all those with a wide stance, he used the backs of the pitchers' knee joints as his trigger move. If he's stealing, as soon as the back of the left knee begins to bend, he bolts. This actually occurs an instant before the foot begins to lift. The same goes for the right knee being the first to move on a step-off move, alerting him to go back.

So if you think about it, even if the front leg begins to wiggle and a delivery is not made to the plate, it's a balk.