The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 07:33pm
Official Forum Member

Balk Questions

I have two balk questions I'd like the experienced umpires (not the disgruntled coaches) to help me out on. The first is one of my weaknesses, the second is something I am beginning to see more often.

(1) OBR 8.05 and comment address the step-and-fake to third then wheel, step, and throw to first (B3 and B1 or bases loaded). The comment states that a fake then a quick wheel AND STEP to first a balk because it is "practically impossible to step directly toward first base before the throw to first base". I don't know that I've ever balked a pitcher on the fake-third throw-first play. Is there something I'm missing?

(2) More and more recently, particularly in the U15s and U13s, is a pitcher taking the set position then sliding his pivot foot to the left (using a righty as example) much in the way a pitcher will begin his windup before lifting his left leg to begin his delivery. It seems that technically it is a balk or an illegal pitch but does anyone call it?

Thanks!

p.s. - please keep this a no-trolls zone
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 07:45pm

1) They are not talking about stepping toward third, then wheeling and stepping toward first. They are talking about stepping toward third, and in practically the same motion wheels and throws to first without stepping toward first at all. They just don't want the throw preceeding a step toward first. The common 3rd to 1st play includes 2 steps, and the pitcher must disengage the rubber prior to any fake to first.

The entire paragraph prior to this part of the comment describes what we know as the legal 3rd to 1st move.

2) I've never seen this move as you describe it. Maybe I'm not picturing it right.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 07:55pm
Official Forum Member

Steve -

I knew it would be hard to visualize. Other than Paul Byrd of the Indians no one does a traditional "windup" anymore, with the first step of the free foot going back behind the rubber and a big two-hand pump of the arms over the head. Most pitchers (picture Mussina here) from the windup simply step to the left then stride forward in delivery. But I'm seeing set pitchers take that same step to the left then lift the non-pivot foot in a delivery.

As to the first part, I have seen decent right handed pitchers step and fake to third then wheel and step to first without disengaging. I might be reading 8.05 comment wrong or, God forbid, I'm journying into OOO land which I hope I'm not.
Old Fri Oct 06, 2006, 09:36pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
Steve -

I knew it would be hard to visualize. Other than Paul Byrd of the Indians no one does a traditional "windup" anymore, with the first step of the free foot going back behind the rubber and a big two-hand pump of the arms over the head. Most pitchers (picture Mussina here) from the windup simply step to the left then stride forward in delivery. But I'm seeing set pitchers take that same step to the left then lift the non-pivot foot in a delivery.

As to the first part, I have seen decent right handed pitchers step and fake to third then wheel and step to first without disengaging. I might be reading 8.05 comment wrong or, God forbid, I'm journying into OOO land which I hope I'm not.
May be OOO. My philosophy is not to call balks on the 3 to 1 play unless the pitcher doesn't step to 1st. The true meaning of "disengage" is to step backward off the rubber with the pivot foot prior to any other action. It is impossible to "legally" disengage on the 3 to 1 play. I consider them disengaged if they step toward third, then in a separate move, step toward first, changing the pivot foot position substantially. It is not physically possible not to come off the rubber doing this, even if they end up back on the rubber.

This is how the MLBUM puts it:

(h) A pitcher must step directly toward a base before throwing or feinting to that base, but he is not required to throw (except to first base only) because he steps. It is possible, with runners on first and third, for the pitcher to step toward third and not throw, merely to bluff the
runner back to third; then seeing the runner on first start for second, turn and step toward and
throw to first base. This is legal. However, if, with runners on first and third, the pitcher,
while in contact with the rubber, steps toward third and then immediately and in practically
the same motion "wheels" and throws to first base, it is obviously an attempt to deceive the
runner at first base, and in such a move it is practically impossible to step directly toward
first base before the throw to first base, and such a move shall be ruled a balk. Of course, if
the pitcher steps off the rubber and then makes such a move, it is not a balk.

NOTE: With runners on first and third, if a pitcher fakes a throw to third base and then
throws the ball to first base, arm motion is not required in the fake to third, although a legal
step is required. Also, in the fake to third base, the pitcher must break contact with the rubber
before throwing to first base. If the ball is thrown out of play in the throw to first, the pitcher
would be considered an infielder for the purpose of the award.

As to the other question, what those pitchers are doing should not be part of the set position. They may now pitch off the end of the pitcher's mound, as long as part of the foot is in contact, but they can't step down into it like in the windup.

Last edited by SanDiegoSteve; Fri Oct 06, 2006 at 09:44pm.
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

1. My instruction on the first-to-third play is this: ordinarily, the feint to third takes the pitcher off the rubber (no longer "in contact"). He can then do what he wants: throw to first, feint to first, dance the macarena. Ordinarily, as I say, I would rule that the feint to 3B took F1 off the rubber, and so a balk on this move is rare.

As I readit, the MLBUM quotation above applies to a move that is uninterrupted: starting the feint to 3B and still in contact, the pitcher then throws to 1B without stepping toward 1B. This move is quite rare, and it would be hard to sell a balk on it.

2. A RH pitcher can legally throw to first with the "jump step" or "jab step." I don't follow the OP's original description: don't pitchers in the windup begin by stepping with their FREE foot? Certainly any "one-two" step combo that is slow would not constitute stepping directly toward 1B, and would be a balk.
Old Sat Oct 07, 2006, 10:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
2. A RH pitcher can legally throw to first with the "jump step" or "jab step." I don't follow the OP's original description: don't pitchers in the windup begin by stepping with their FREE foot? Certainly any "one-two" step combo that is slow would not constitute stepping directly toward 1B, and would be a balk.
He's talking about the pivot foot starting on the rubber and then turning 90 degrees moving the foot against the front edge of the rubber, which is the typical way to pitch from the windup. However, he is seeing people use this move from the set position. I've never seen it, but it sounds illegal to me.