The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 04:50pm
Official Forum Member

What? No phone numbers?

I find it interesting when home town newspapers report on state tournament games and the article includes opinion on the umpiring. A couple of articles I read not only included the name of the umpire involved in the 'questionable call' but also their home town. I'm surprised they didn't include a phone number so the fans could call the ump at home. It sure seems like the papers are opening a can of worms that isn't necessary. Opinions?
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 05:18pm

My opinion is that these newspaper writers should stick to journalism and leave the umpiring to the umpires, and quit pretending they know the first thing about it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 05:51pm
Administrator

First true story:

Years ago, when our sons still weren't even in school yet, I officiated a boys' H.S. varsity basketball game on a Saturday in a small town about 75 miles from hour home. I whacked the Visitor's Head Coach mid-way through the second quarter and I made it a point that he understood what he did to get whacked and that he had lost the coaching box for the remainder of the game; he deserved getting whacked and probably should have been whacked a la Tony Soprano, but that is another story.

By the time my partner and I had showered, dressed, stopped for dinner, etc. it was about 12:30am when I finally walked into our bedroom. Everybody was asleep, including the dog and cats when the telephone rang. It was the Visitor's Head Coach on the telephone wanting a detailed reason for the technical foul I had given him. He had gone through his school's copy of the OhioHSAA Officials Directory to look up my telephone number. I told him the following things in this order: 1) I will be calling your principal on Monday morning to tell him why I was filing an OhioHSAA game report on his boys' varsity basketball coach, and 2) Drop dead. I then hung up.

Second true story:

Four or five years ago while officiating a boys' high school jr. varsity basketball game (on a Saturday night after officiating a men's jr. college game in the afternoon, so I was already in game mode before I had got to the game), my partner whacked the visitor's JV head coach in the second quarter. I whacked him in the fourth quarter and game him his 'E-Ride Ticket' to the lockerroom.

That Monday night while I am out officiating a girls' H.S. basketball game, the JV coach's dad calls me at home, MTD, Jr., took the call, to tell me that he was going to sue me on behalf of his son for libel for filing a false game report, evidently I lied when I told the truth on the game report as to why I whacked him. ROFLMAO when Mark, Jr. told me about the call.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Jul 24, 2008, 07:16pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Mark: those people my friends and I call a 'piece of work'. Remember that it takes all kinds.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
I've been written up--once.

During game a picklle occurred between HP and 3B. I was BU, so I took the tag on R3 diving back into 3B. Good, early tag, but I waited. Sure 'nuff, the rock rolls up F6's arm. By the time he controls the sphere, R3 is back on the pad. I call "safe" and give the bobble sign. Yes, to fans and popcorn vendors this runner looked flat "out." I had a unique view and thought my extra mechanic (which I am loath to effect) helped tell the story. Just some small chirping by def. Rodent, though.

Local paper scribe writes that "Umpire Ace Holleran made a controversial call that changed the game for Snotport National..." etc.

Losing skip said (roughly) "It's tough to win when a call like that takes you our of the inning."

I called the paper and got the sports editor on the phone. It's a medium metro daily with a couple hundred thousand readers. He said, "I thought I'd be hearing from you."

I didn't go ripsh!t, but explained the entire play.

"Uh oh," said the editor. Then I made the point that I happened to be available for quite some time after the game; why didn't the writer ask me about the play?

You can't win.

Ace
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 10:31am
Stop staring at me swan.

because nobody cares about what the umpire has to say...esp if they got a story about a controversial call...if the paper talks to you and realizes that is was not only the correct call, but nothing even close to controversial, they no longer have a story.
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I've been asked questions from reporters before. My answer is always the same:

"Game's over gentlemen. Nothing more to see here!"

We are not gagged by our association but we are asked to be extremely careful about what we say. Well, seeing as how the 4th Estate has a great difficulty in printing the truth, why bother saying anything to them?
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Here in Oregon during the high school season the Oregon School Activities Association has in place a "gag rule" for coaches, administrators, and officials.

No comments can be made by anyone concerning controversial decisions in sporting and fine arts contests.

Regards,

See my upcoming article in "High School Today":

"Who's the Winner and Who's the Loser When People Can't Talk"
Old Fri Jul 25, 2008, 11:46am
Stop staring at me swan.

MN is the same way once you get to the State Tournament as an official