The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:05pm
Official Forum Member

I just got off the phone with CBS Sports

The man on the phone says that they clarified it with the NCAA, he even quoted the rule to me.

Their stance is that he lifted the pivot TWICE and that is why it was a travel--so that little slide that they showed the closeup on is the travel--not the spin and the shot.

I explained the Seth Davis kept saying it was a travel when he lifted his foot to shoot it, and he again explained that was not the travel, it happened before that and they did their homework.

PS-I forgot to tell him that his analysts still don't know the rule. :-)

EDIT-Actually, he even told me they had the NCAA approval/backing

Last edited by Big2Cat; Fri Mar 23, 2007 at 11:20pm.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big2Cat
There stance is that he lifted the pivot TWICE and that is why it was a travel--so that little slide that they showed the closeup on is the travel--not the spin and the shot.
PS-I forgot to tell him that his analysts still don't know the rule. :-)
They lucked out!
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

I didn't see the entire clarification, but did he have possession of the ball with the first "pick up" or was he bobbling it then?
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
I didn't see the entire clarification, but did he have possession of the ball with the first "pick up" or was he bobbling it then?
It was a travel, but the slo-mo where it was definitive was grainy and obviously enlarged. The way the announcers were saying it was travel because of the pivot foot being picked up served as mis-direction to make it easier to miss the travel on the replay.
Old Fri Mar 23, 2007, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJT
It appeared to me that his foot left the floor and returned, by a very tiny amount, after he had gathered the ball.

It still is shameful the way CBS has covered this.

They screamed and screamed about Green "lifting his pivot foot," not just after the game but an hour later. When they figured out they were wrong, they looked for a post hoc justification to avoid looking silly and never admitted their overreaction.

If at the end of the game they had said, "it looked like he may have taken a littly bunny hop with his pivot foot," but that's a tough judgment call, or something like that, fine. But to basically call the officials out and suggest they didn't know the rule is disgusting.

Not because it's unfair for the officials. They're big boys. But it's not fair to the teams -- either one of them -- and their fans.
Old Sat Mar 24, 2007, 08:43am
Courageous When Prudent

You guys really need to work on identifying the mail topic of your essays. I did not see any basketball last night, but based on what I just watched on SportsCenter I'm assuming we are discussing the Georgetown/Vandy game?