Thread: discrimination
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

Jackie: I assume that you have fulfilled all the requirements that your College Board expects of any umpire
(evaluation, testing, experience, etc.). You have been assigned games by your College Assignor because you are qualified to do the job. It's time for your Assignor (or Board President or someone of authority) to "go to bat for you," let ALL the coaches know that HE assigns umps, not them, and they better shut up, or put up. Unfortunately, like racism, most of these types of guys will never have a change of heart, but I hope you don't let that stop you. Like any prejudice, it hurts to be shunned, or not excepted, and you will face the extra grief and be scrutinized far more harshly than the men. On the other hand, women who umpire baseball go the extra mile to study rules, perfect mechanics, and become excellent, as they aim to reduce any reasons for criticism.

I know you don't want to persue a legal battle, and get your way just because the guys are "forced " to employ by a judge's mandate. You just want to work games. I am not a lawyer, but I think you have a clear cut case of discrimination. And if you HAVE to take that route, be sure to get a nice financial award along the way for your troubles. Good Luck.