Thread: discrimination
View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 15, 2002, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Here's the situation:

I was scheduled to a Div. II college double-header on Sunday. When the home team coach inquired as to who the umpires were, he stated that "No woman was going to work on his ballfields"! He also commented that if my partner brought me down to these games, that he would no longer receive contracts from this school. He then tried to recover by saying that if nothing else, wait and bring me in for a non-conference game. The opposing team coach witnessed this the day before, as well as others. We went anyway, and were highly complimented by the opposing team coaches and also one of the asst. coaches of the home team. The sad thing is this coach is also the A.D. for this school. For anyone wondering, I did not get into baseball umpiring to cross any gender lines or prove any point. I just love the game. I am getting tired of the discrimation that's out there. I was told that I could contact NASO about pursuing any legal aspects. Do I take a stand or just live with the fact that I'm going to run into this type of mentality?

Jackie