The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Angry Another umpire assaulted

Umpire sore after assault at game
BY SUSAN SZALEWSKI
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

A suburban baseball game between 12-year-olds ended with an Omaha umpire knocked to the ground and a parent ticketed on suspicion of misdemeanor assault.

Umpire Charles Andersen said he was "body slammed" to the ground Saturday by an angry parent after two angry coaches had sandwiched him between them, pushing him and bumping him with their bodies.

Andersen said he still had a headache, stiff neck and sore body Monday night from the incident. The injury caused him to miss officiating at baseball games Sunday and work on Monday, he said, but he was able to umpire at a game Monday evening.

During thousands of games over his seven or so years as an umpire, Andersen said, he occasionally has seen the wrath of players, coaches and parents. And he has feared that someday they might go too far. That happened Saturday after the tournament game between the teams from Gretna and Ashland, he said.

Umpires make mistakes, Andersen said, but no one should ever answer with violence. He lamented that four teams of 12-year-olds - two leaving a game and two arriving for the next game - witnessed the bad behavior of adults who are supposed to be role models. "All those players were watching," he said.

The parent and coaches involved in the incident could not be reached Monday night for comment.

Andersen said that some of the players, coaches and fans from the Gretna team had acted disrespectfully toward him and his fellow umpire during the game, and officials were able to handle the problems without ejecting anyone from the game.

When the team's last batter was at the plate, Andersen said, the batter jumped out of the batter's box and questioned the ball-strike count, saying "No, it's a 3-and-1 count."

"Yes, it's a 3-and-1 count," Andersen said he yelled back. And he said he yelled for the boy to get back in the batter's box because the youth did not call time out. The player swung and missed at the next pitch and popped out on the last one.

The confrontation followed immediately after the last play, Andersen said.

He said that after he was knocked to the ground he heard one parent say that it was too bad that he was still alive. "This is how angry people act over a baseball game?" he asked.

Others came to his defense by calling 911 and moving in to protect him, Andersen said.

The game was played at a field near 192nd and West Dodge Road. The boys' baseball leagues and Metro Umpires, an organization that trains and schedules umpires, will likely investigate what happened Saturday, said Denny Jones, chief of Metro Umpires.

"Baseball has its rules, and sanctions will likely be issued," Jones said Monday night. He said he was gathering reports from witnesses.

"Baseball is supposed to be fun for children," Jones said. "A lot of great parenting and coaching is being overshadowed by this."
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Great Parenting

doesn't sound like that happens in THAT League.

Wonder if it's a felony where this happened. It is here in CT.

"911, State your emergency".

"I am an Umpire at blankety-blank baseball field. I have just been assaulted by blankety-blank and need an officer immediately."

I understand why many do NOT do small ball anymore.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

ok and I know some people work 12's 1 man .... but if he had a partner... where was the partner?

Besides all of that... What on earth could make someone get that angry in omaha.... its baseball ... I love the sport .... I love to work the games....but holy cow a game could NEVER make me THAT mad... no one is worth going to jail

For all those who don't know ... Ed Hickox is the MAN

NFHS NCAA PONY ASA ISC USSSA
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 08:53am
Veteran College Umpire

[QUOTE=Huskerblue]

"Baseball has its rules, and sanctions will likely be issued," Jones said Monday night. QUOTE]

Sanctions will likely be issued? How about sanctions AND LEGAL ACTION will likely be issued? Somebody ever "body slams" me on a ballfield, I'm not getting up until the medical team gets me up with the officer(s) standing right there telling the offender(s), "Would you slip into these, please?" (those of you who watch reruns of Nash Bridges will know what that means).

JJ
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
In Texas if it was a coach assaulting the umpire, Class A Assault, a misdemeanor. Actual physical contact and bodily harm would have to ensue, but they go to jail, I'd guess at least $2500 bond.

Now if it was a parent, non participant of the game, then simply threatening the umpire with harm is a Class B misdemeanor, no contact needed, free trip to jail.

for your reference...Texas Penal Code, CH 22, sect 22.01 (c)(2) A or B

and there is no excuse at all for parents getting that stupid.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

Here in Nebraska I believe an assult on any sports official is a class C felony. This includeds parents, fans, coaches and players. Just like my strike zone, I'm not 100% sure.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
During thousands of games over his seven or so years as an umpire,
Thousands? That would mean at least two thousand and kind of implies more. That would require nearly 300 games per year for two thousand and over 400 games per year for the next level of "thousands".

Every year.

In Omaha?
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerblue
During thousands of games over his seven or so years as an umpire, Andersen said, he occasionally has seen the wrath of players, coaches and parents.
Wow, thousands of games in just seven years. He's been a busy boy!
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:11am

Dang it Mr. Umpire, you read my mind!
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Dang it Mr. Umpire, you read my mind!
The only reason I brough it up is if this umpire will bullsh1t about his number of games, what else will he embellish?
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:19am

Yeah, when I read that, my B.S. meter's needle went off the chart.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Maybe he calls softball too?
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

I'm thinking more and more about one of those pocket Tasers in my ballbag.....coach/parent (using that term loosely) comes out, jostling begins, and zzzzzzzzzzzt!

evil cackle
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Story says ticketed for misdemeanor assault. For the suspect to be taken to jail the assault would have had to happen in the presence of a police officer. Suspect may or may not get jail time down the line but unless he is a regular I doubt it.
Old Tue Jul 15, 2008, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMan
I'm thinking more and more about one of those pocket Tasers in my ballbag.....coach/parent (using that term loosely) comes out, jostling begins, and zzzzzzzzzzzt!

evil cackle
How about a 44 Magnum That way we can FINALLY say to a Parent or Coach

MAKE MY DAY

Pete Booth