The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Attached is a link to the story. I heard it on the local news last week, didn't realize it happened over 3 weeks ago, but thought it to be of interest nonetheless.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story...-7415198c.html
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Unfortunate for sure, but let me go another way on this. The parents of the young ref are considering suing the police. WTF? The police were NOT involved in the scuffle, yet let's sue them. For this type of s*** the parents and their lawyer deserve a smack themselves. I hate it when people sue other people or institutions that have absolutely NOTHING to do with what has happened.
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TriggerMN
Unfortunate for sure, but let me go another way on this. The parents of the young ref are considering suing the police. WTF? The police were NOT involved in the scuffle, yet let's sue them. For this type of s*** the parents and their lawyer deserve a smack themselves. I hate it when people sue other people or institutions that have absolutely NOTHING to do with what has happened.
Agreed. I think that it's called the "deep pocket syndrome."
Old Mon Mar 06, 2006, 06:32pm
Official Forum Member

Something similar happened to me in a high school flag football game a couple years ago (it was in the spring) Last play of the first half team A throws a hail mary into the end zone. At the same time a player from team A and a player team B go for the ball. They collide and the pass is incomplete. End of the half. No flag. Player from team B is laying on the ground dazed. His dad came running onto the field screaming at me and shoved me (I caught him out of the corner of my eye just before so I braced myself) The other ref and staff workers got in front of him. He then started berating & cussing us out and I told him watch the language. He says, "oh they've heard it before" to which I said, "yeah I can see where they learn it from" The staff had him kicked out for the night and asked if I wanted to press charges. I declined. I said ban him for the rest of the season put it in the report and the dad was done. His kid was fine and was pissed he didn't catch it.
Old Tue Mar 07, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Interesting....

My young son has just started to play hockey. I haven't played myself since I was very young. It seems to me (and I'm new to it, so don't feel bad if you need to correct me) the the following is true in comparison to basketball:

The coaches of very young hockey players (my son is 6) are generally better prepared to coach than in basketball. There is a whole certification system in place where coaches have to demonstrate that they can teach the skills necessary to play at that level. If they want to coach older kids, they have to demonstrate their ability to coach the more advanced skills. There is no such process (locally, anyway) for youth basketball coaches. (That's not to say they're all inexperienced - some are very good.)

The officiating, on the other hand, seems less tightly regulated than basketball - at least in regard to officials' ages. I have seen some very young officials (particularly reffing 12 year-old games where they are VERY close in age to the players) take a lot of grief from adults. According to the following web page, you only have to be 12 years old, but the other criteria seem pretty stringent (including a rules exam and a skating test):

http://www.usahockey.com/ihoa/main/how_to_join_ih/

I'm not sure how particular the various local organizations are about making sure the refs are certified. 12 years old seems really young to have to put up with vocal adult fans.

[Edited by JoeT on Mar 7th, 2006 at 10:02 AM]