Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltjp
The site manager was nowhere to be found.
Golly, I am thinking a few times before I work in that tourney again.

Ace
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 02:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I we'll have to disagree, Bob. There's no reason, unless the PU plants roots just outside the batters box, that he doesn't have a much better look at a swipe tag from the backside. The play is right in front of us, and unlike the BU, we don't have a body between ourselves and the tag. And sure, I remember Bob. I enjoyed greatly reading his 700 word dissertations on how to signal a foul tip. But I don't lend much credence to his findings at a LL clinic.

Tim.
I also tend to disagree with Bob on this one too. The PU certainly has a better view of a swipe tag than does a BU that is out of position so that F3 is blocking his view of the tag. The PU has a look that is the equivalent of the BU's "lean and look" at 1st base on a swipe tag. At least he's not looking directly up the fielder's a$s, and should have a relatively unobstructed view of the play.

I only advocate the BU asking for help before making a call, and only from inside the infield. A BU starting in A with no runners on base should be able to get 100% of pulled feet and swipe tags, no excuses. And since the only time a PU trails the BR up the line is when the BU is in A, the PU should theoretically not have to help on the call. But we know that's not really the case in the "real" world (of horrible partners).
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Jul 06, 2008, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It took all my strength but I held my tongue and tolerated all the insults that were tossed my way. The site manager was nowhere to be found. Thinking about it now, I should have called the police.
Reminds me of a summer league game last year, 16-18 year olds, I'm PU. Visiting team from another town is leading by about 13-0 in the bottom of the 3rd and the pitcher just got a ball 4 called and he comes off the front of the mound 2 steps toward me with his arms spread wide saying "where was it?" I turn to the HC and tell him he needs to have a word with his pitcher, so he calls time and goes to the mound. I did not tell him he needed to make a trip, but ok, maybe this will calm him down. Two batters later, same thing except he takes 3 steps toward me instead of 2. I tell HC he needs to have a word with his pitcher, so he calls the pitcher and the catcher over to the foul line and has a discussion while I am writing down 2nd trip in my notepad. They separate and pitcher heads back to the mound and I tell HC he needs to change pitchers due to two trips. "I did not make a trip" he says. "I did not cross the foul line". I tell him its a trip, yadayadayada later and I finally say "last chance coach, change your pitcher" so he hollers to the player at 3B to take the mound, turns his back and says the magic words - "you making all this money you should learn the rules." Bye-bye. I turn toward the mound and the pitcher says "I'm not leaving, you will have to make me leave." Bye-bye. I start walking toward the field supervisor who has cell phone to his ear and is nearing the gate to the field and I hear steps behind me and turn and find another home team player, from the bench, in my face. I don't know what he said because "bye-bye" happened so fast. Now the visiting team bench has cleared, and the whole home team is hollering at the other team. My partner comes up to me and says "I think we should forfeit this game, these guys are out of control". So, we did.

The home team fans are chearing and clapping as we leave the field on the home team side and the visiting team fans are hollering at me and my partner (imagine that). The police arrive (cell phone to the ear was a call to the locals). My partner and I go to our cars and start changing for the 2nd game of a DH, which is more than an hour from game time. After a brief discussion with the field supervisor the police have a discussion with the HC from the visiting team and they all exit the premises.

My partner and I call our assigner to let him know what had happened. He said he had been warned 2 days prior about the visiting team's behaviour, he looked at the schedule for the next game to determine if he needed to provide a warning and when he saw it was me and my partner he knew we would take care of business and didn't bother to tell us.

We worked the second game without a peep from anybody. It was a game between the same home team from the first game and another team from the same town as the visiting team from the first game. Different team, coach, different fans.

The 1st game was only the 2nd I every forfeited.

Oh, I found out later the pitcher I tossed and the HC I tossed were related. Imagine that.
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 08:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_riprock
Shame on you.
My partner and I were on the same page. If it were with someone I worked with prior, I wouldn't have done it lol

-Josh
Old Mon Jul 07, 2008, 11:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I've already dumped one coach and I'm not looking for any more trouble. I ignore it.
There's a difference between you looking for trouble and trouble looking for you. If trouble's heading your way, you need to be proactive and deal with it. If you use the logic that you used here, then the offending team actually has more leeway in its collective ability to be asshats because you are taking a passive, reactive approach to your dealings with it. Hardly fair to the team that's been acting appropriately.

I would go so far as to say that I take the polar opposite approach. If I've tossed someone during a given game, my tolerance for further inappropriate conduct decreases somewhat. What might have been a warning earlier now becomes an ejection. I don't go looking for confrontation, but as one of my favorite first sergeants said once upon a time, "I'm not looking to get a joe in trouble, but if you bend over and drop your pants in front of me..." You can guess the rest of that sentence as to the figurative action to which he was referring. It's the same logic--I'm not getting rabbit ears, looking for boogers, or anything like that, but if a team that has already had some involuntary personnel changes continues to have visible issues, they will be addressed.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
I guess we'll have to disagree, Bob. There's no reason, unless the PU plants roots just outside the batters box, that he doesn't have a much better look at a swipe tag from the backside. The play is right in front of us, and unlike the BU, we don't have a body between ourselves and the tag. And sure, I remember Bob. I enjoyed greatly reading his 700 word dissertations on how to signal a foul tip. But I don't lend much credence to his findings at a LL clinic.

Tim.
I would not agree that PU has a "much better look" simply because of the distance. The only time I think PU can really tell if he tagged him would be if the runner is running through the tag.

If F3 is tagging on the backside of the runner, no way PU can really tell if he tags the BR.

But, as you stated, if PU hustles up the line, he could help on the play if asked by BU with no problems and probably no complaints.

Thanks
David