The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Catcher throws to 3B

I coach little league ball (11 years old). This is an issue that comes up every game.

Runner on 2B - stealing 3B

Originally - I taught my catchers to step behind the batter (Right handed batter) for any pitch over the plate or inside. If the pitch takes him out then step forward and throw. However, even on inside pitches batters have a natural tendancy to step back and look at the play which puts them right in the path of the catcher as he steps back. Batter is still in batter's box so I know he is entitled to the box - but batter inadvertantly blocks throw to 3B.

Any ruling on that specifically?
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 606
A batter is out for illegal action when,
(c) He interferes with the catcher’s fielding or throwing by stepping out of the batter’s box or making any other movement that hinders the catcher’s play at home base. EXCEPTION: Batter is not out if any runner attempting to advance is put out, or if runner trying to score is called out for batter’s interference.
Rule 6.06(c) Comment: If the batter interferes with the catcher, the plate umpire shall call “interference.” The batter is out and the ball dead. No player may advance on such interference (offensive interference) and all runners must return to the last base that was, in the judgment of the umpire, legally touched at the time of the interference.
If, however, the catcher makes a play and the runner attempting to advance is put out, it is to be assumed there was no actual interference and that runner is out--not the batter. Any other runners on the base at the time may advance as the ruling is that there is no actual interference if a runner is retired. In that case play proceeds just as if no violation had been called.

So if batter moves into the catchers way, he interferes and the runner is not retired he's out. Batters should be taught to stand still and make the catcher throw in front or behind them.

Last edited by JR12; Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 12:09pm.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelbling
I coach little league ball (11 years old). This is an issue that comes up every game.

Runner on 2B - stealing 3B

Originally - I taught my catchers to step behind the batter (Right handed batter) for any pitch over the plate or inside. If the pitch takes him out then step forward and throw. However, even on inside pitches batters have a natural tendancy to step back and look at the play which puts them right in the path of the catcher as he steps back. Batter is still in batter's box so I know he is entitled to the box - but batter inadvertantly blocks throw to 3B.

Inadvertently or not if a batter steps back into the path of F2 and hinders his attempt to retire a runner, he's interfered and is to be ruled out. Unless with less than two outs and a runner attempting to score from third - the runner is out. The batter shouldn't be called for interference if he remains still in the box, but being in the box itself doesn't absolve him from making additional movements that hinder the play.

Tim.

Last edited by BigUmp56; Thu Jul 03, 2008 at 12:16pm.
Old Thu Jul 03, 2008, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelbling
I coach little league ball (11 years old). Batter is still in batter's box so I know he is entitled to the box - but batter inadvertantly blocks throw to 3B.

The batters box is not a safe haven. The batter is only protected to the extent of not interfering, (action witch hinders or prevents the catcher), with the attempt to make a play on the runner.

You may wish to look up 6.06c coupled with the definition of interference in 2.0