The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

There has been both PROS / CONS written about the subject of talking to players / coaches / joking with them.

While I'm not a proponent of hanging around After a game to kiss up to the coaches. I am an avid believer in talking etc. during the game. After the game I simply meet my partner and head for the exits

I guess it boils down to one's personality. Also, this is one area in which age doesn't make a difference. I talk to players whether they are 6 or 60 - it's just me.

Now I am firmly aware when there is a close call or we kick a call, the coach or player whom we thought were our "friends" will come down on us in a heartbeat, but that doesn't stop me from talking to them.

IMO we are not there to be Atilla the Hun . Yes we have to have order out there and not be too loosy goosy but it makes the game more pleasurable when there is more of a friendly atmosphere.

After all besides the rules / mechancis and Game Control aspect of umpiring it should be fun as well otherwise we wouldn't do it in the first place.

So what's your take on talking to players / coaches and do you joke with them as well?

Pete Booth
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

In my area i see a lot of familiar faces, from High School and Legion now playing in college, or summer Semi-pro leagues. So, yeah, i will talk to them. Not a major conversation, but a quick hi, how is it going. During the game i may chat with the right fielder or 2B between innings if i am in the field. Maybe a quick comment to 1B on a play or something. Behind the dish, I am in constant contact with the catcher. There is no harm in this, I do not go out of my way to do this, but it is friendly, brief smalltalk. I see alot of our better umps and more respected umps doing this as well. It gives you a human side, when we are often seen very differently.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Angry

If you talk to one team you better be equally talking to the other. This could make for a lot of combined talking throughout a game.

To talk during a game creates an opportunity for you to be viewed as lacking focus or interest. There are enough hurdles to get over during a game that bringing more unfavorable attention to an umpires character or ability is not a good idea.

If you talk to players on one team only do you think the opponent, especially an out of town team, would feel at a disadvantage.

Our responsibility, sometimes paid, is to be neutral arbiters for however long each game takes. In my opinion we should make EVERY effort to be not appear to show favoritism during each game we umpire.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim Porter Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Porter
Another angle on this:

Humor is a vital game management technique. A well-placed one-liner can defuse a volatile situation better than any other device at our disposal.

And this is one big reason why there is no substitute for on-field experience. Not only must you be careful not to use offensive humor, you've got to be able read and gauge the participants to know what will work and how far you can go. And, heck, some people just aren't funny no matter how hard they try.

Used at the right time, in the right tone, and to the right people, humor is the most powerful game control device known to man.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

I will usually make small talk in between innings with the right fielders (if I'm on bases), or the catchers during breaks in the action. Usually nothing more than, "How's school going, what's your major, where are you from?" Last night they played the Jimi Hendrix "Woodstock" Star-Spangled Banner during the seventh inning stretch. I commented to the RF that Hendrix's rendition should be the OFFICIAL version. RF got a good laugh and concurred.
Old Thu Apr 04, 2002, 09:21pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Be Human.

Part of umpiring or officiating anything, is taking a bit of your personality on the field with you. If you can act in such a way that is your personality, then do that. You have to be true to yourself and what works for you might not work for others.

It is really hard to tell anyone not to talk to players and coaches, you just have to pick your spots and understand what is crossing the line or not. You do not want to carry on multiple conversations unless those conversations have to do with the game at hand. But do talk if you can prevent things or say something that will help you. If the conversation is not going to help you with managing the game, you might want to leave it alone.

Peace
Old Fri Apr 05, 2002, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Catchers, when working the dish, you BET I DO! It is the kids game, and I love to have as much fun as they do. Today , for insatnce, visiting team from NorCal Section for a Spring break non-leaguue game. V's lead off comes up and sez, " hey blue, how's it going?" I respond, " ya got me off work early, GREAT!" Big smile, not so great ball( we got 6 finished with a humonguous score, lotsa pitchers) but we had fun. Top 5 , jv catcher from home team comes in, I remember him from PONY ball a year or so ago. Lousy curve dumps in dirt, wacks him in cup as he is doing his job. Batter steps out, catcher does a great job, but the "WACK" is loud. I sez "cup-check, better yours than mine". Us three had a good laugh! F2 was ok, smiling at that comment.

Aside from stuff in that context, nada... No comments on the other team or other teams players or thier players etc...
Old Fri Apr 05, 2002, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Learning Process

Being able to maintain a professional appearance as an umpire while incorporating your personality into your umpiring is a learning process. From my perspective, it has taken me also three years (about 150 games total) to feel comfortable with my skills and knowledge to be able to relax enough to interact with the game participants. When I do lower level games (Babe Ruth 13s or Frosh games), I am able to interact at a appropriate level. However, when I am doing a Varisty game, I am still need to focus more intently to make sure I do not miss something.

As matter of fact, I got a real wake up call doing a Varisty game. Cruising along as BU in a tight game. Visiting player attempts to steal 2B and I am call him out and return to Pos A. Fans from home team congratulate me on the good call. I make some off hand remark, mentally patting myself on the back. Two batters later, a whacker at first, that if I was focused I would have called out but for some reason I call safe.
Old Fri Apr 05, 2002, 01:27pm
Official Forum Member

Talking

Being a female umpire doing men's, college and varsity games, I get a lot of stares and also hesitancy from coaches and players when I arrive at the ball field. I dress and carry myself professionally, but I try to never come across as a ball-busting _itch. I've had some good ice-breaking humor with catchers during a game when I am out of baseballs and mention it. I've had catchers stand up and loadly announce, "She needs balls," or "She doesn't have any balls!" They then get embarassed and apologize. I respond with "No problem, it's the truth!" or, "I really do need balls." We share a good laugh with the batter, and the I see a shift at that point. I'm usually treated as one of the guys after that.(Is that a compliment?)

Jackie W.
Old Fri Apr 05, 2002, 07:34pm
Official Forum Member

Pete, I agree with you about the personality aspect of talking to players and/or coaches. I personally don't like to stand in any line without striking up a conversation with someone. Just like anything, there are limits to how far one can or should go with conversation. I have had outgoing fans say to me at the start of a game, "Is this gonna be a good game blue?" I might say something like, "For 50 bucks anything is possible." I have rarely had problems with fans. I know that some senior members probably don't like umps talking to fans but if they start up a conversation with me I am not going to ignore them because IMO that may be the start of something negative. I really enjoy umping and a lot of that includes dealing with people.
Old Fri Apr 05, 2002, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Talking about balls....

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackie W.
Being a female umpire doing men's, college and varsity games, I get a lot of stares and also hesitancy from coaches and players when I arrive at the ball field. I dress and carry myself professionally, but I try to never come across as a ball-busting _itch. I've had some good ice-breaking humor with catchers during a game when I am out of baseballs and mention it. I've had catchers stand up and loadly announce, "She needs balls," or "She doesn't have any balls!" They then get embarassed and apologize. I respond with "No problem, it's the truth!" or, "I really do need balls." We share a good laugh with the batter, and the I see a shift at that point. I'm usually treated as one of the guys after that.(Is that a compliment?)

Jackie W.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~

Had a coach about 5 or so years ago ask me ,"Hey blue, how many balls ya got?" I grab my bags and yack back, "Just one." He tosses another in and sez, "Now you're a man." We all had a good laugh!! BTW, nice to see a woman in the ranks......
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
Peter -

This is a very interesting and provocative question.

I can honestly say that after 1400 games in seven plus years at levels from Pony (13/14) through college that an umpires must be very carefull when engaging coaches and or players in conversation. I feel it's very important to read the lay of the land. Certain games with tense rivalries or maybe bad blood between the teams can create serious problems if any conversation is misinterperted by players or coaches. I usually will try to steer clear of any banter so that it will be easier to be the enforcer, if and, when it may be necessary.

Other games can offer a completely opposite tone, whereby players, coaches and umpires all know each other so well, and get along famously, that the chatter is constant and even entertaining as well.

I'm reminded of one of the most well know criticisms of officials, usually voice by coaches, that certain umpires are unapproachable. Now here's a situation whereby 'no interaction' can be a deficit, particularly if viewed by participants as "you can't talk to that guy."

Bottom line is that an experienced, knowledgeble and well skilled umpire learns to apply that baseball dictum of 'PAUSE .... READ ....REACT,' even as it may apply to conversations on the field.

Late this afternoon I was on the dish for a championship tournament game. From begining to end I had an open dialogue with both cathers who I've worked many games with. At the same time the dialogue with the coaches and managers was minimal. You just have to be carefull in chosing the right moments and opportunities to be engaging. If done properly it can be helpfull and add to the pleasure of officiating. If done incorrectly it will only bring trouble and difficulty to an official who's just trying to do his job in an impartial and detached manner.

Good judgement should always prevail.

Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Question Good topic Pete

Pete,

I handle this in a couple of different fashions. First, if I am the the Plate Umpire, then yes I make a point to talk to the hitters and both catchers throughout the game. For me, it helps to ligthen the mood at the plate, paint the picture that I am approachable if you have a question, and also it helps to develop the atmosphere for the game.

When I am the Base Umpire, I may talk with the pitcher if he has a question, or talk to the some of the infielders of there is a pause, or may just quickly talk with first baseman from time to time.

For the coaches, I try to be as open as I can possibly be with them in the communication department when it comes to question or concerns about that game, but I do not make a habit nor an agenda itme to talk to them at any great length. If you do, you heading down the road of disaster.

I always tell fellow officials this, when it comes down to talking to players and coaches-listen....read....react in that order, and then when you react use common sense.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 09:38pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to johnSandlin Send a message via Yahoo to johnSandlin
Jackie,

I have found doing the samething you do from time to time works also. Sometimes when reacting, all it takes is saying back to the person that made original comment, something along the lines of what they said to begin with. Everyone gets a kick out of it. Shares a good laugh and go on with the game. BTW, I think it is neat that you are working mens baseball!! Keep up the good work.

John
Old Wed Apr 10, 2002, 12:49am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up good point

Quote:
Originally posted by etbaseball
Peter -

This is a very interesting and provocative question.

I can honestly say that after 1400 games in seven plus years at levels from Pony (13/14) through college that an umpires must be very carefull when engaging coaches and or players in conversation. I feel it's very important to read the lay of the land. Certain games with tense rivalries or maybe bad blood between the teams can create serious problems if any conversation is misinterperted by players or coaches. I usually will try to steer clear of any banter so that it will be easier to be the enforcer, if and, when it may be necessary.

Other games can offer a completely opposite tone, whereby players, coaches and umpires all know each other so well, and get along famously, that the chatter is constant and even entertaining as well.

I'm reminded of one of the most well know criticisms of officials, usually voice by coaches, that certain umpires are unapproachable. Now here's a situation whereby 'no interaction' can be a deficit, particularly if viewed by participants as "you can't talk to that guy."

Bottom line is that an experienced, knowledgeble and well skilled umpire learns to apply that baseball dictum of 'PAUSE .... READ ....REACT,' even as it may apply to conversations on the field.

Late this afternoon I was on the dish for a championship tournament game. From begining to end I had an open dialogue with both cathers who I've worked many games with. At the same time the dialogue with the coaches and managers was minimal. You just have to be carefull in chosing the right moments and opportunities to be engaging. If done properly it can be helpfull and add to the pleasure of officiating. If done incorrectly it will only bring trouble and difficulty to an official who's just trying to do his job in an impartial and detached manner.

Good judgement should always prevail.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
Ed, catchers are, in my opinion, our best friend and liason with the managerial staff. Good ones help us and poor ones screw thier teams. Take the kid from PG, Trevor, ya know the kid chasing the CIF homerun title, He let another F2 know that he was wrong in yanking a pitch to make me look like a fool, I was like, "right on!" I feel letting the catcher know what is going on(read pissing the ump off) is a good tool to keep all participants in the game and having fun. When Skipper is asking F2 "where was that?", good catchers know the right answer, even when we kick one! But, alas, good judgement shall prevail...........chris