View Single Post
Old Sun Apr 07, 2002, 12:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to etbaseball Send a message via Yahoo to etbaseball
Peter -

This is a very interesting and provocative question.

I can honestly say that after 1400 games in seven plus years at levels from Pony (13/14) through college that an umpires must be very carefull when engaging coaches and or players in conversation. I feel it's very important to read the lay of the land. Certain games with tense rivalries or maybe bad blood between the teams can create serious problems if any conversation is misinterperted by players or coaches. I usually will try to steer clear of any banter so that it will be easier to be the enforcer, if and, when it may be necessary.

Other games can offer a completely opposite tone, whereby players, coaches and umpires all know each other so well, and get along famously, that the chatter is constant and even entertaining as well.

I'm reminded of one of the most well know criticisms of officials, usually voice by coaches, that certain umpires are unapproachable. Now here's a situation whereby 'no interaction' can be a deficit, particularly if viewed by participants as "you can't talk to that guy."

Bottom line is that an experienced, knowledgeble and well skilled umpire learns to apply that baseball dictum of 'PAUSE .... READ ....REACT,' even as it may apply to conversations on the field.

Late this afternoon I was on the dish for a championship tournament game. From begining to end I had an open dialogue with both cathers who I've worked many games with. At the same time the dialogue with the coaches and managers was minimal. You just have to be carefull in chosing the right moments and opportunities to be engaging. If done properly it can be helpfull and add to the pleasure of officiating. If done incorrectly it will only bring trouble and difficulty to an official who's just trying to do his job in an impartial and detached manner.

Good judgement should always prevail.