The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 06, 2002, 12:25am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation

I worked a Junior Varsity game tonight behind the plate (one man game). I had a runner on first. A pitch got away from the catcher. I felt I did a good job of clearing, and thought the ball had gone back to the screen. Alas, the ball had rolled just a few (3-4) feet away, and, unbeknownst to me, had settled at my feet. The catcher located the ball before I did and reached down to pick it up. The runner on first delayed, then broke for second. The catcher just got his hand on the ball when I inadvertently kicked it out of his grasp. Runner advances to second.

At this point, I realized what I had done. The catcher would have easily had a play on the delayed attempt at second. I ruled I had interfered with the catcher's throw. I sent the runner back to first. The offensive manager asked for clarification but did not argue. Next batter grounds out to end the inning. The manager approached me between the inning and said he felt I incorrectly ruled the play as interference with the throw. He said the catcher wasn't yet throwing the ball.

I came home after the game and reviewed all of my baseball rule books, and references. I understand the catcher hadn't yet initiated the throw in that his arm wasn't cocked back or anything like that.

Ideas? My sense is I missed this one.

Thank You.

Tony

Old Sat Apr 06, 2002, 12:56am
Official Forum Member

Yes you did. You are part of the playing field. You try to get out of the way, but if you can't...then play goes on.

Did you identify yourself as a ground rule before the game, meaning that if the ball hit you it is dead/interference?
(just joking)

You are not liable
Old Sat Apr 06, 2002, 08:17am
Official Forum Member

To avoid the situation, watch the catcher as he goes to chase the ball and avoid him---don't look for the ball. Reverse pivot to the opposite direction that he comes out. You don't need to "locate the ball" before him. It's more important you steer clear of him. He can't throw anyone out until he has the ball, so what is occurring with the ball has little reference until he gets it. Once certain you are well clear of him, find the ball to assure it's not gone through a gap in the fence, etc. Usually once clear of F2 and the ball, I'll start moving up the 3B line for an improved angle on the call at 2B.

I don't believe catchers throw from down at your foot. I'd not think you interfered with his throwing action, but you were there to judge it, not me. If you interfered with his attempt to field the ball, then it's not interference by the umpire.

Just my opinion,

Freix

Old Tue Apr 09, 2002, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to IndianaUmpRef
Sorry about your luck Tony. Its something we all wish doesn't happen to us. I agree with the pther posters though. You are part of the playing field - no interference. I would feel terrible, as I am sure you did. It happens to the best of us, I am positive of that.

Zach