The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

Thrown ball hits coach's bucket

10U USSSA travel ball, coach is outside dugout calling pitches from a bucket. Batter lines to center and takes second. Wild throw to 2B goes over infielders head, runner heads to third. Throw hits the bucket and bounces back to the catcher who holds the runner at third.

Offensive coach argues that runner should be awarded home. Defensive coach argues the bucket is part of the playing field.

I'm not calling, but my son is playing and I suggest it's coach interference.

Conference, TD is called, and runner remains at third.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 12:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D
10U USSSA travel ball, coach is outside dugout calling pitches from a bucket. Batter lines to center and takes second. Wild throw to 2B goes over infielders head, runner heads to third. Throw hits the bucket and bounces back to the catcher who holds the runner at third.

Offensive coach argues that runner should be awarded home. Defensive coach argues the bucket is part of the playing field.

I am naive to the rules USSSA use but this situation is the fault of the umpire in my opinion. The coach should NEVER be allowed to be on a bucket outside of the dugout *shrug*

Anyways, the ball should immediately be called dead and the umpire has the obligation to award bases as they see fit (ie if the ball did not strike the bucket what would have the players have gained). In this case, the offense is giving the benefit of all doubt (because the defense was at fault).

-Josh
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to danreeves1973
Know you weren't calling but was the bucket being on the field covered as part of ground rules? I've called tournaments at that age level under Dixie League where a bucket at the entrance to the dugout was allowed (district director and tournament director had declared it to be so), a box was drawn, bucket inside it, and it was declared dead ball territory.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
RULE 8.00 – RULES OF PLAY
Playing rules not specifically covered herein shall follow the Official Rules of Baseball (National League) as published by Major League Baseball on mlb.com.

State Directors also have the authority to administer rules within his respective state as deemed appropriate with the approval of the Association’s Executive Vice President of USSSA Baseball.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeves1973
Know you weren't calling but was the bucket being on the field covered as part of ground rules? I've called tournaments at that age level under Dixie League where a bucket at the entrance to the dugout was allowed (district director and tournament director had declared it to be so), a box was drawn, bucket inside it, and it was declared dead ball territory.
We have a HS field the same way. the way it was built it's virtually impossible for the catcher to see into the dugout to get signs. They chalk a ~3'x3' square at the entrance & is considered part of the dugout.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 06:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

signs at the 10 year old level?
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 09:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
It has been a LONG time since I coached competitive 10 year olds, but yes, you have signs. Fast ball, changeup, inside, outside, high, depending on the batter's tendancies. That's about it.
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

In FED if loose equipment outside the dugout interferes with play, the umpire can award outs or bases at his discretion.

In OBR (what I think USSA uses), play on.

Get the buckets inside the dugout
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 05:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran.D

Coaches belong in the dugout, plain and simple.
Buckets are part of the equipment of the team. Equipment belongs in the dugout, plain and simple.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 08:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
1 for fastball
2 for fastball
3 for fastball...

I think you can figure out the other two pitches. I agree johnny, it's ridiculous at this age that ANY coach is taking up time with pitch calls. Back in the day I was doing a little kids tourney and the catcher would delay the game waiting for the pitch call from the coach. I then decided to speed up the game a little. I warned the coach that any further delay would be penalized. This is how the next batter went down: Thrown ball (1-0), "Delay Coach, ball two" (2-0), Thrown Strike (2-1), "Delay...Ball Three!" (3-1), the pitcher then lofted one over the fence on a pitch

The coach learned quickly that I wasn't going to let him take 25-30 seconds to call a pitch, have the pitcher look at the runner on base for another 25-30 seconds, and then pitch the ball. The game was heading for a 2 hour finish at that pace.

I asked the coach after the game what he was doing over there that it took him 25 seconds to call a pitch. He said he was just taking his time so he could think the pitch through. I replied, "What would you think if I took 25 seconds to call every ball/strike? You'd be all over me for taking so long!" He got the point.

-Josh
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 08:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
1 for fastball
2 for fastball
3 for fastball...

I think you can figure out the other two pitches. I agree johnny, it's ridiculous at this age that ANY coach is taking up time with pitch calls. Back in the day I was doing a little kids tourney and the catcher would delay the game waiting for the pitch call from the coach. I then decided to speed up the game a little. I warned the coach that any further delay would be penalized. This is how the next batter went down: Thrown ball (1-0), "Delay Coach, ball two" (2-0), Thrown Strike (2-1), "Delay...Ball Three!" (3-1), the pitcher then lofted one over the fence on a pitch

The coach learned quickly that I wasn't going to let him take 25-30 seconds to call a pitch, have the pitcher look at the runner on base for another 25-30 seconds, and then pitch the ball. The game was heading for a 2 hour finish at that pace.

I asked the coach after the game what he was doing over there that it took him 25 seconds to call a pitch. He said he was just taking his time so he could think the pitch through. I replied, "What would you think if I took 25 seconds to call every ball/strike? You'd be all over me for taking so long!" He got the point.

-Josh
....and when he protested your award of balls on the batter, you would back it up with what rule?
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex
....and when he protested your award of balls on the batter, you would back it up with what rule?
They were using the FED rules for the tourney (6-2-2c)

I don't know if little league rules have that rule but they should. Get the kids moving and then maybe the right fielder will stay interested.

-Josh

Last edited by jdmara; Wed May 28, 2008 at 10:28am.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 01:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danreeves1973

Seems to be a particular problem in the 11 - 14 age, at the point that the pitchers actually might have two or more pitches (fastball and anything else as a change of pace). I cover this in my pregame by stating that "if you are a coach who likes to park your rear on a bucket outside of the dugout, then the bucket better be glued to that rear if you hop up to get out of the way of a live ball. If the ball hits the bucket and you're standing somewhere else, I will call time and your team will be penalized for leaving equipment in the field of play" Got tired of stopping play to tell coaches to get back in the dugout, better things to do. Haven't had anyone complain since I added that to my pregame.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 02:52pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara
"Delay...Ball Three!" (3-1), the pitcher then lofted one over the fence on a pitch
I'm confused too. The pitcher did what???
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I'm confused too. The pitcher did what???
Wow...That was misspoken. The pitcher threw the final pitch over the fence

FYI, we didn't have a problem the rest of the game after that batter

-Josh