The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Little League Major
Batter hits ball and as he leaves the box, throws the bat which hits catcher.
Is this considered interfering with the catcher and causes the batter-runner to be out?
This seems to be one of those things that everyone knows the answer to but is not covered in the rules (no reference to thrown bat)

[Edited by BMGregory on May 9th, 2003 at 03:05 PM]
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BMGregory
Little League Major
Is this considered interfering with the catcher and causes the batter-runner to be out?
This seems to be one of those things that everyone knows the answer to but is not covered in the rules (no reference to thrown bat)

Based on what I've read on other boards, LL has an interp that this is NOT an out (unless the catcher was trying to field the ball, of course), but that the player could be ejected (or, more likely, warned first).

THat's the general implementation in youth ball -- althopugh some leagues do call this an out.

Old Fri May 09, 2003, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

Everyone will tell you they know the answer but it has always come down to somebody not showing the young player how to handle a bat after hitting the ball. I don't remember dealing with this in any league above LL.

Some leagues will make up rules about this because we love making rules about everything. I have found that once someone instructs a player how to handle the bat after hitting the ball it, the problem goes away.

NOW, if your talking about intentionally throwing a bat? We are dealing with a unsafe condition, that will certainally bring about an ejection. You don't need a rule for that one.

I have seen catchers and even umpires (Eg:myself) trip on a bat left around the plate. I think your giving the young player too much credit to do that intentionally for interference. Most likely, no one has shown him the right way.

Would I put it past some coaches to even suggest that a player try something like that? Not at all.
Old Fri May 09, 2003, 11:17pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally posted by BMGregory
Little League Major

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~`
I work PONY, obr. There is no OBR rule, however local rules. Intentional thrown bat(out of disgust, etc..) eject. Some call the BR out, some don't, (he usually is though). Accidental.. had one tonite. Batter hits ball to F6, flings bat into f2's legs(he's still squatting), BR gets hosed, F2 sez" he threw the bat", I sez" I got it". OUR rule is, TEAM warning, next one is out, runners return to TOP.

My warning is, " Team "a", catcher got it with a bat, CONTROL your equiptment!"

Now, as far as a kid dropping bat and catcher stepping on it, I got a big nuthing. Me stepping on it, stupid me. Kid bunts and I can see a deliberate attempt to screw up F2 with the bat, NOW we got INT....JMHO