The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

OBR balk

Just wanted to clarify things for myself, I don't normally work OBR/NCAA OBR rule games but I am going to alot this summer (american legion, men's league)

Balks in FED are dead balls right away, no pitch, no play, etc

In OBR the ball still stays alive correct?
Sit.: Runner on, Pitcher balks, I say "That's a balk" and point towards pitcher, pitcher delivers pitch and batter hits safely.

The ball is in play and batter and runners are entitled for one base correct, anything after that they are liable to be put out

It's simple for a balk on a play to a base, the runner can't be tagged "out", and once the play is "dead" than the runners advance

Can they advance on an overthrown ball more than the one their entitled to, they get the free pass to the advancement base.

Sorry if these seem like simple thing

Any other tips or suggestions or rules, or whatever that may help me understand this correctly I'll greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Eagle,

You are correct that under OBR that a balk is not an immediate dead ball when a pitch is made. Should the batter NOT hit the ball call time and enforce the balk. If the ball is hot and all runners and the batter-runner advance at least one base ignore the balk (This is NOT an award and runners are not 'entitled' to a base).

The batter-runner and runners may advance past one base at their own risk.

Review http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...s/foreword.jsp
Rule 8.05 (m) PENALTY
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 07:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Eagle,

You are correct that under OBR that a balk is not an immediate dead ball when a pitch is made. Should the batter NOT hit the ball call time and enforce the balk.
Agreed, if the pitch is caught. If it's a wild pitch or passed ball, leave the ball live. If all the runners advance a base, ignore the balk for the runners, but acknowledge the balk for the batter (that is, "no pitch'")
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
Agreed, if the pitch is caught. If it's a wild pitch or passed ball, leave the ball live. If all the runners advance a base, ignore the balk for the runners, but acknowledge the balk for the batter (that is, "no pitch'")
And don't forget, like I will admit doing last season, that a walk to the batter works as well. I was PU with R1 (OBR in effect); R1 takes off for 2B and F1 double clutches, then throws ball home (batter had a count of 3 balls and whatever). Both my partner and I yell "that's a balk!" as I forget to track the ball in and make a ball/strike call.

Partner points to R1 and moves him to 2B, everyone sets up for the next pitch when the OC comes out and asks me whether the "balk" pitch was a ball or not. Insert churning stomach feeling here. Fortunately, I remembered that the pitch wasn't close. We awarded batter first base and moved on, no harm done.
Old Wed May 28, 2008, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
If the ball is hot and all runners and the batter-runner advance at least one base ignore the balk (This is NOT an award and runners are not 'entitled' to a base).
So, this rule does not apply for games played in February when the ball is probably freezing cold?
Old Fri May 30, 2008, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_12
Just wanted to clarify things for myself, I don't normally work OBR/NCAA OBR rule games but I am going to alot this summer (american legion, men's league)

Balks in FED are dead balls right away, no pitch, no play, etc

In OBR the ball still stays alive correct?
Sit.: Runner on, Pitcher balks, I say "That's a balk" and point towards pitcher, pitcher delivers pitch and batter hits safely.

The ball is in play and batter and runners are entitled for one base correct, anything after that they are liable to be put out

It's simple for a balk on a play to a base, the runner can't be tagged "out", and once the play is "dead" than the runners advance

Can they advance on an overthrown ball more than the one their entitled to, they get the free pass to the advancement base.

Sorry if these seem like simple thing

Any other tips or suggestions or rules, or whatever that may help me understand this correctly I'll greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Here are some tips for the balk rule from the MLBUM. Good luck my man!

7.8 PENALTY FOR BALK
Under Official Baseball Rule 8.05, the penalty for a balk shall be: The ball is dead (when play stops), and each runner shall advance one base without liability to be put out unless the batter reaches first base on a hit, an error, a base on balls, a hit batter, or otherwise and all other runners advance at least one base, in which case the play proceeds without reference to the balk.

The penalty for a balk provides that if a batter reaches first base safely on a hit or error, base on balls, or otherwise on a pitch on which a balk is called, he shall be entitled to first base only if all other runners have advanced one base or more on the play, in which case the balk is disregarded. If the batter-runner and all other runners do not advance, the balk penalty prevails, the batter must return to the batter's box with the previous count, and runners advance one base as penalty for the balk.

A runner who misses the first base to which he is advancing and who is called out on appeal shall be considered as having advanced one base for the purpose of this rule.

When a balk is made on a pitch that is a fourth ball it shall be ruled the same as when the batter hits a balk pitch and is safe on a hit or error, provided all runners advance at least one base on the play. Therefore, with a runner on first, first and second, or first, second and third, when a balk is called on the fourth ball, the batter goes to first base and all runners advance at least one base. If they attempt to advance more than one base, they do so at their own risk.

However, if first base is not occupied and all other runners do not advance at least one base on the play, the balk penalty prevails: The ball is dead; the batter returns to the batter's box and assumes the same ball and strike count as before the balk pitch; and all runners are allowed to advance one base as penalty for the balk.

Note that in cases where a pitcher balks and throws wild, either to a base or to home plate, a runner may advance beyond the base to which he entitled at his own risk. See item (8) in Section 7.9.

7.9 CALLING "TIME" AFTER A BALK
The penalty for balk allows the play to proceed without reference to the balk if the batter and all runners advance one base on the pitch following the balk (i.e., the actual pitch and/or action caused by the batter hitting the ball). The umpire shall not call "Time" until play stops following the balk. The question therefore arises as to when the umpire is to call "Time" to kill the ball after calling a balk. The following cases should help explain when play is considered "stopped" and a what moment the umpire should call "Time" following the call of balk:

(1) If the pitcher balks and does not throw the ball, call "That's a balk; Time!" and enforce the
balk.

(2) If the balk is followed by a batted ball, leave the ball in play until it is apparent that the batter and all runners will not advance one base. At that moment, call "Time" and enforce the balk. If, however, the batter reaches first base and all runners advance at least one base on play following the balk, play proceeds without reference to the balk.
EXAMPLES:
(a) If a batted ball follows the balk and results in a fly ball that is caught, call "Time" the moment the fly ball is caught. Then enforce the balk.
(b) If a batted ball follows the balk and results in a ground-out on a previous runner at the base to which he would be entitled because of the balk, call "Time" the moment the out is made. Then enforce the balk.

(3) If the balk is followed by a pitch that is caught by the catcher, call "Time" the moment the catcher catches the ball. Then enforce the balk. (Note exception in ball four situations covered in item (5) below.)

(4) If the balk is followed by a pick-off throw to a base that is caught by a fielder, call "Time" the moment the fielder catches the ball. Then enforce the balk.

(5) If the balk is followed by ball four delivered to the batter and is caught by the catcher, call "Time" and enforce the balk unless all runners advance one base because of ball four. In that situation, play proceeds without reference to the balk.

(6) If the balk is followed by a pitch that strikes the batter, call "Time" the moment the pitch strikes the batter. Then enforce the balk unless the hit batter forces all other runners to advance one base, in which case play proceeds without reference to the balk.

(7) If the balk is followed by a wild throw to a base, the Approved Ruling of Official Baseball Rule 8.05 provides that the runner may advance beyond the base to which he is entitled at his own risk. In that situation the umpire shall call the balk in the usual manner but shall not call "Time" until all play has ceased (runners have stopped trying to advance and a fielder is in possession of the ball in the infield).

(8) If the balk is followed by a wild pitch, the Approved Ruling of Official Baseball Rule 8.05 provides that the runner may advance beyond the base to which he is entitled at his own risk. In that situation, the umpire shall call the balk in the usual manner but shall not call "Time" until all play has ceased (runners have stopped trying to advance and an fielder is in possession of the ball in the infield).

Note that even if the runner advances to or beyond the base to which he is entitled because of a wild pitch following a balk, the balk is still "acknowledged." That is, the pitch is nullified and the batter will resume the at-bat with the count that existed when the balk occurred unless:
(a) The wild pitch was ball four on which all runners advanced one base; or
(b) The wild pitch was strike three on which the batter and all other runners advanced one base.

In both situations (a) and (b) above, play proceeds without reference to the balk, because all
runners (including the batter-runner) advanced one base on the pitch following the balk.