The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 10:28am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
It didn't. It also didn't go over the fence, get eaten by a rhinoceros, or turn into gold.
IF however you want to talk about a different situation with the ball landing between the lines the previous posters are spot-on with their observations that the batter's feet were touching the line. Fair ball.
p.s. - better run!
Hmm baseballs turning into gold. I think I need to find some games in your area!
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
I had the same situation where the ball hit the bat and then did a slow dribble down the third base line. I pointed the ball fair when it stopped and the batter took off for first. The F5 threw the ball into DBT and the batter was awarded 2nd.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
Hmm baseballs turning into gold. I think I need to find some games in your area!
No kidding. And I'm not dropping the balls on the plate, tossing them toward the dugout, or in any other way returning said gold balls at the end of the game.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
I'm in agreement as to not call this but as devils advocate:

When the batter bailed he also had no intent on swinging. Yet when the ball hit the bat we all agree it's a foul.
In this situation why is intent ignored for one rule and applied for another?
I don't believe it is ignored, it is just not explained one way or the other in the rules. I believe it states that the batter is out if he hits the ball while (depending on the code) standing out of the box. Therefore intent seems to be a reasonable method to resolve that which is not interpreted for us.

In the case of a foul ball, it pretty black and white. Did it hit the bat or not?
Intent means nothing here.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskerblue
So what if the ball somehow ends up being a fair ball?
Point the ball fair, play on. The batter can't be called out for contacting the ball outside the box if he is trying to avoid a pitched ball.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 04:43pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Point the ball fair, play on. The batter can't be called out for contacting the ball outside the box if he is trying to avoid a pitched ball.
I think by a strict reading the rule you could call the batter out. I don't think it is keeping with the philosophy of the rule though.
Old Fri May 23, 2008, 06:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Vigorously point to fair territory.

Bob
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

I believe the spirit of the rule is that the batter is gaining an advantage by stepping outside of the box. In this case, the batter is clearly not gaining an advantage by 'hitting the ejector seat button' and bailing. Crazy play, foul/fair ball depending on where the ball lands.

-Josh
Old Tue May 27, 2008, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
I don't believe it is ignored, it is just not explained one way or the other in the rules. I believe it states that the batter is out if he hits the ball while (depending on the code) standing out of the box. Therefore intent seems to be a reasonable method to resolve that which is not interpreted for us.

In the case of a foul ball, it pretty black and white. Did it hit the bat or not?
Intent means nothing here.
Just as where the batter on a fewer-than-2-strike count bails on a pitch 5 feet inside, yet it strikes the bat on the batter's shoulder and wala! he turned a sure ball into a strike. Stuff happens.
Old Thu May 29, 2008, 04:32pm
Official Forum Member

start running

Quote:
Thats a live ball and have seen it happen. The defense usually catches on before the batter even stands up and batter gets thrown out at first.