The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Is "By the book" the way to call this one? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/44612-book-way-call-one.html)

CO ump Thu May 22, 2008 03:43pm

Is "By the book" the way to call this one?

B1 bails out on a pitch heading right at him shoulder high. You clearly see front foot toes down 100% out of the box as the pitch strikes the bat.
What's your call?

Welpe Thu May 22, 2008 03:47pm

I think his heel might've been on the line. Foul!

RPatrino Thu May 22, 2008 03:59pm

What box? I see no lines.

umpjayfire Thu May 22, 2008 04:09pm

foul...we've all heard, "don't take the sh---ty end of the stick"

David B Thu May 22, 2008 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CO ump
B1 bails out on a pitch heading right at him shoulder high. You clearly see front foot toes down 100% out of the box as the pitch strikes the bat.
What's your call?

First you're not going to be able to see that, secondly, call it as if he were still in the box.

Keep it simple

Thanks
DAvid

dash_riprock Thu May 22, 2008 05:48pm

And if the DC comes out looking for an out (never mind the odds of that happening), I'm going to get help from my partner, and probably determine that the pitch hit the batter and put him on 1st.

jicecone Thu May 22, 2008 08:57pm

Quote:

What's your call?

The rules say the batter has to hit the ball while out of the box. I would think intent would be necessary. In this case the ball hit the bat. Not covered sorry. Go with the foul ball, its clearly covered.

JR12 Fri May 23, 2008 05:46am

If his foot is touching the line, he's "in the box".

6.03 The batter’s legal position shall be with both feet within the batter’s box.
APPROVED RULING: The lines defining the box are within the batter’s box.

6.06 A batter is out for illegal action when—
(a) He hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter’s box.

mick Fri May 23, 2008 06:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR12
6.06 A batter is out for illegal action when—
(a) He hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter’s box.

This happened to me [in C] last night on a fouled bunt attempt.
Batter stepped between Catcher and the plate.
PU didn't see it.
I didn't reach for the call.
Should I have call the batter out?
Thanks.

bob jenkins Fri May 23, 2008 06:48am

Quote:

What's your call?

I think either J/R or JEA has spscific instructions to not call the out. If they don't, they should.

(You "always" need to go to the intent of the rule.)

CO ump Fri May 23, 2008 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins
I think either J/R or JEA has spscific instructions to not call the out. If they don't, they should.

(You "always" need to go to the intent of the rule.)

I'm in agreement as to not call this but as devils advocate:

When the batter bailed he also had no intent on swinging. Yet when the ball hit the bat we all agree it's a foul.
In this situation why is intent ignored for one rule and applied for another?

LakeErieUmp Fri May 23, 2008 08:43am

Because the ball had to go someplace. It didn't hit him so there's no HBP. It didn't go past him so it's not a ball. The only thing left is hit the bat thus foul ball which holds no penalty whatsoever (except in slow pitch which isn't baseballe anyway)

Huskerblue Fri May 23, 2008 09:25am

So what if the ball somehow ends up being a fair ball?

LakeErieUmp Fri May 23, 2008 09:31am

It didn't. It also didn't go over the fence, get eaten by a rhinoceros, or turn into gold.
IF however you want to talk about a different situation with the ball landing between the lines the previous posters are spot-on with their observations that the batter's feet were touching the line. Fair ball.
p.s. - better run!

JR12 Fri May 23, 2008 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by LakeErieUmp
It didn't. It also didn't go over the fence, get eaten by a rhinoceros, or turn into gold.
IF however you want to talk about a different situation with the ball landing between the lines the previous posters are spot-on with their observations that the batter's feet were touching the line. Fair ball.
p.s. - better run!

LOL!!!!!