The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B
As far as mangers, Randolph showed a lot of class in this situation.
As a Met fan, that was Willie being his own apathetic self.

I didn't see the game, but heard it on the radio, and I was getting annoyed with how many times the Mets announcers (who I love) were going on and on about the missed call, even as the Mets were winning 5-2. From what I heard them say about Mike Reilly going to the crew "immediately", it sounded like he lost it, knew he had to make a call, no matter what it was, and dealt with it with his crew. Obviously this is all 100% speculation, but was the ball that close to being foul? And did Reilly really go "immediately" to the crew for help, or did Jeter/Damon really have to talk him into it?
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 06:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets

I didn't see the game, but heard it on the radio, and I was getting annoyed with how many times the Mets announcers (who I love) were going on and on about the missed call, even as the Mets were winning 5-2. From what I heard them say about Mike Reilly going to the crew "immediately", it sounded like he lost it, knew he had to make a call, no matter what it was, and dealt with it with his crew. Obviously this is all 100% speculation, but was the ball that close to being foul? And did Reilly really go "immediately" to the crew for help, or did Jeter/Damon really have to talk him into it?
Willie was barking a lot from the dugout. One of the coaches got tossed.

Yes the ball was that close. It grazed the "foul" side of the foul pole a couple of inches above the fence.

Jeter made on very quick remark to Reilly and Reilly then immediately signaled the other crew members for a conference.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 07:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Willie was barking a lot from the dugout. One of the coaches got tossed.
From what I heard/read, Manuel got tossed after he kept jawing at Davidson after Bob told Willie to "Shut up", according to the ESPN mic.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Did anyone catch the ESPN guys' comments during tonight's Cubs @ Astros game? They showed the replay of the fair/foul ball several times and said that the umpires' final call of foul WAS, in fact, the correct one. Something about how the ball hit in foul territory first.

Weird.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Did anyone catch the ESPN guys' comments during tonight's Cubs @ Astros game? They showed the replay of the fair/foul ball several times and said that the umpires' final call of foul WAS, in fact, the correct one. Something about how the ball hit in foul territory first.

Weird.
They also said that the HR was a "real" HR because it hit the yellow line.

MLB has a universal ground rule that the yellow line is in play.
Old Mon May 19, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Didn't see the Yanks game... but wanted to throw in a point I heard from my friend.

The foul pole at Yankee Stadium is about a foot behind the wall, if not more. Then of course, on the wall, there is a vertical white line that extends to the ground.

I guess in one of the camera angles, because of the foot gap between line and wall, it appeared as though the pole and the line were not actually on the same vertical plane. Of course, most reasonably minded people could figure out why this could happen, but lets not forget our old friends Joe Morgan and Jon Miller.

They went on and on about how all these years the foul pole has been in the wrong place... probably until the producer told them to shut up.

Classic Morgan....
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 06:46am
Official Forum Member

i think the problem here is two fold, first reilly "thought" the ball was a homerun, second, davidson "knew" the ball was foul. now we know those two statements were wrong but in reilly's defence he went with the guy who "knew" what happened.

steve
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 08:09am
Official Forum Member

from my MiLB buddy

add 2 more umpires to each crew....
34 new big league umpires...
27 plate jobs per year instead of 40 per guy...
the old guys could hang on even longer....
less chance of injury ..
better look at these nutcutters...
cost only about 150K per team (hell raise beer 50 cents)
more AAA fill-ins would get a chance...
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I didn't see it that way at all. He was actually showing why he was a good player, he knew the call was made, he knew there was nothing going to change it.

He made his point very clearly, he talked with both umpires involved and he returned to the dugout and kept barking even more after he saw the replay and knew it was a blown call.

I consider that a class act compared to a Pinella who who have acted a fool.

Thanks
David
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjayfire
from my MiLB buddy

add 2 more umpires to each crew....
34 new big league umpires...
27 plate jobs per year instead of 40 per guy...
the old guys could hang on even longer....
less chance of injury ..
better look at these nutcutters...
cost only about 150K per team (hell raise beer 50 cents)
more AAA fill-ins would get a chance...
Does this mean 6 per game, with umpires down the LF and RF lines?

I'd be more in favor of an idea some have thrown around, with a 5th added to each crew who rotates to the booth as the "Replay Umpire" the day after a plate job.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does this mean 6 per game, with umpires down the LF and RF lines?

I'd be more in favor of an idea some have thrown around, with a 5th added to each crew who rotates to the booth as the "Replay Umpire" the day after a plate job.
yup...6 per game....that'll work...if somebody would pay for it
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 06:07pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I think sometimes this is where "asking for help" isn't always better and doesn't always help you "get it right" if Davidson didn't know for sure...they should've stuck with the call on the field...he obviously didn't know for sure because he got it wrong and U3 was probably 200 feet closer to the call with no other responsibilities.
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 06:36pm
Official Forum Member

very good point

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
I think sometimes this is where "asking for help" isn't always better and doesn't always help you "get it right" if Davidson didn't know for sure...they should've stuck with the call on the field...he obviously didn't know for sure because he got it wrong and U3 was probably 200 feet closer to the call with no other responsibilities.
Exactly. I've watched too many games lately and its really gotten bad in HS ball where coaches almost expect you to ask for help.

In a recent playoff game, coach wanted me to ask for help on a pulled foot and I'm in U1. On top of that throw is high and pulls F3 toward RF which means PU couldn't see it anyway because he pulls his foot away from him.

As I move to U2 coach goes to PU and asks him to make a call. PU and I had talked about it before the game so he tells coach its my call and ends discussion, but how many times do we see umpires getting together and then making the "wrong" call.

Sure it might be a tough call, but in the Mets game, Reilly had it right to start with.

I can't remember who says it best, but sometimes we just have to umpire!

Thanks
David
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 06:59pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I've told a coach before when he's asked me to ask for help at the FED level on a swipe tag play at the plate...coach, I'm 100% sure I got the call right...my partner is 100 feet away from me watching other stuff, there's no way he had a better angle than me. I'm not asking him. (we were only 2 man)...I agree with you...sometimes we just have to umpire. we know our mechanics, many coaches do not. if your partner does not have the angle, or a better angle, don't ask...it's just going to cause more problems...
Old Tue May 20, 2008, 07:54pm
Stop staring at me swan.

that being said, there is a time where asking for help can be a good thing.