The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 16, 2008, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

What's more important?

The low strike or the outside strike? The high strike doesn't really exist. If I feel I am having trouble w/an outside strike thrower, I work higher. GD is great over the catcher and taking care of both sides of the dish. Then I have to really "work" on low pitches. IOW, I put more thought into those calls. Of course, I still blow a call (based on crowd feedback) every now and then. I value that opinion as a reminder to stay alert back there and not "glare" at pitches by watching the ball into the glove.

If I feel I am having trouble w/a low strike throwers, I move inside. I am not looking over the catcher. I am looking right past the catcher. I find myself working lower and nailing the low strikes. Then I have to adjust to an outside pitch. Usually, by reading the catcher, staying calm and expecting a strike, these things begin to improve your mental "response" to particular types of pitches. More info is processed and things begin to slow down as details become sharper.