The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average. Display Modes
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 04:44pm
Official Forum Member

Verbal Distraction Interference

First time on this board so please forgive me if I am not following protocols.

Last night I was coaching a Babe-Ruth prep league game (13 - yr olds) and in the last inning of a tight game the opposing team starting engaging in verbal distractions from the dugout as our pitcher was releasing the ball. They would chant progressively louder while he was in his windup and go silent just as the pitcher releases. They did this for every pitch of the inning. There was not one cheer for their batter, just verbal distraction for our pitcher. I must say is was unnerving. I don't know how our pitcher persevered but he was able to pitch through it for the win. I do not allow any of that from my players and was wondering if there was any ruling on this. I looked through the official Babe Ruth rule book and was unable to find anything.

BTW, in LL, I have seen umpires warn a team not to scream as the pitcher is releasing the ball. Same sort of thing, but maybe it was the umpire's discretion to do that.
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
While the situation you describe is not covered in exact detail in OBR rules, if the umpire feels the chatter is designed to cause the pitcher to commit a balk he can certainly put a stop to it. Look at 4.06(a). That's how I deal with it when it becomes an obvious distraction.

Tim.
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 06:08pm
Official Forum Member

One way to handle it, and Ive done it , and it works, it falls under game management. Depending on the age group, level of play, etc...

Me: "Dave (use coachs name), do we really need that today? You guys got a good team, well-coached. Whats next, Hey batter batter?"
Old Mon May 12, 2008, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Easiest way to handle that stuff is to have your pitcher blow a couple batters away. They will pipe down, once they find out it has zero affect on your pitcher. As an umpire, I stay out of this type of thing, unless it's prohibited by that particular rule set.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
What Bob said.

Ace
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 06:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
Easiest way to handle that stuff is to have your pitcher blow a couple batters away. They will pipe down, once they find out it has zero affect on your pitcher. As an umpire, I stay out of this type of thing, unless it's prohibited by that particular rule set.
Agreed!
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Bob I agree but that is the "old way". Unfortunately in today's climate depending upon the teams involved (especially rival teams) we have to put a stop to it.

Pretty soon amateur baseball will start to resemble a golf tournament where by a coach will say "hey Blue he is breathing to loud can you do something"

Things like "Hey batter", hand clapping etc. didn't fase me. As you say once the other team knows that this type of "stuff" does not effect you and you start mowing them down batter after batter, it will stop.

What happened to what was a great game.

Pete Booth
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
In the past, most of this type of stuff was "self policed" by the teams involved. As Pete said, in our current environment we would more than likely get involved as 'preventive' umpiring to make sure events didn't escalate.

I agree, what has happened to our game??

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Tue May 13, 2008, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
I agree, what has happened to our game??
Simple, it's become wussified..................

Tim.
Old Wed May 14, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Many Thanks

Thank you all for your input. I appreciate everyone's opinion. I am ashamed to admit in the heat of the moment the thought of "self-policing" it did cross my mind for a millisecond, but I quickly came back to reality. I just reminded my pitcher that they must be worried about him because they are resorting to those tactics, so start the mowing. In retrospect, the added pressure made him a better pitcher and gave him that much more confidence.