The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

New Pitching Rules - Little League

This year pitchers are to observe (under age 16 rule) that:

(d) Pitchers league age 16 and under must adhere to the following rest requirements:
• If a player pitches 61 or more pitches in a day, three (3) calendar days of rest and a game (see e. below) must
be observed.
• If a player pitches 41 - 60 pitches in a day, two (2) calendar days of rest and a game (see e. below) must be
observed.
• If a player pitches 21 - 40 pitches in a day, one (1) calendar days of rest must be observed.
• If a player pitches 1-20 pitches in a day, no (0) calendar day of rest must be observed.

NOTE: And a game.

Issue being raised at our league is: if the game to be missed falls within the days of rest (pitchers throws 41 Tuesday and has a game Thursday & Friday), that the game within the days of rest counts as the game to be rested as a pitcher. In the example; then the pitcher is eligable for Fridays game.
Personally, I believe that the game that is a rest game must follow the days of rest. ie: Schedule shows games Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. The pitcher throws 41 pitches Tuesday, Can he pitch Friday?

I look at it as; why would and a game be added to the rule in the 2008 rule book; if he couldn't pitch on Thursday anyways; two (2) calendar days of rest rule. No need to add and a game if it doesn't follow the rest day.

Please clear this matter up so our league can have a straight answer.

Craig
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

The important thing to remember is the intention of the rule; to develop more pitchers/ have managers NOT rely on and overuse one or two.

As long as F1 in question receives mandatory days rest and the game, whether during the days rest or after, it's all good.

Remember, it says "and A game", not multiple games. If F1 misses one game during days rest and one after, then it becomes multiple games.

LomUmp
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I fully understand of the reason to implement the rule for saving the kids arm. I am all in favor for that.

What I was wondering is why is the and a game added to the rule. If the rest period has a game within it; then there would be no reason to put and a game, because he/she couldn't pitch anyways.

Craig
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 10:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigwojo
I fully understand of the reason to implement the rule for saving the kids arm. I am all in favor for that.

What I was wondering is why is the and a game added to the rule. If the rest period has a game within it; then there would be no reason to put and a game, because he/she couldn't pitch anyways.

Craig

There just has to be a game between the two times he pitches. It matters not when the game is. The "and a game" part is there to make him take it off even if it is after his rest period.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
Quote:
Schedule shows games Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. The pitcher throws 41 pitches Tuesday, Can he pitch Friday?
I have to handle LL rules knots all de time, mon.

Yes, he may pitch again on Friday.The 1-game rest is to deter skips from using same starter two games in a row. The "game" addendum does not apply if teams are advancing between levels of play (e.g., district to sectional). Then, the proper days' (or day's) rest is the only requirement.

Ace in CT
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
This year pitchers are to observe (under age 16 rule) that:

(d) Pitchers league age 16 and under must adhere to the following rest requirements:
• If a player pitches 61 or more pitches in a day, three (3) calendar days of rest and a game (see e. below) must
be observed.
• If a player pitches 41 - 60 pitches in a day, two (2) calendar days of rest and a game (see e. below) must be
observed.
• If a player pitches 21 - 40 pitches in a day, one (1) calendar days of rest must be observed.
• If a player pitches 1-20 pitches in a day, no (0) calendar day of rest must be observed.

NOTE: And a game.

Issue being raised at our league is: if the game to be missed falls within the days of rest (pitchers throws 41 Tuesday and has a game Thursday & Friday), that the game within the days of rest counts as the game to be rested as a pitcher. In the example; then the pitcher is eligable for Fridays game.
Personally, I believe that the game that is a rest game must follow the days of rest. ie: Schedule shows games Tuesday, Thursday & Friday. The pitcher throws 41 pitches Tuesday, Can he pitch Friday?

I look at it as; why would and a game be added to the rule in the 2008 rule book; if he couldn't pitch on Thursday anyways; two (2) calendar days of rest rule. No need to add and a game if it doesn't follow the rest day.

Please clear this matter up so our league can have a straight answer.

Craig
This partiuclar subject matter has been discussed "ad nauseum" on this Forum which is the best place to go for LL type questions

http://www.eteamz.com/baseball/boards/obrrules/

FWIW LL is notorious for adding / chaning rules without thinking of all the ramifications.

Take your example:Assume F1 had his max pitchcount on Tuesday. Schedule game on Saturday cancelled. The teams next game is the NEXT Saturday. So here we are some 2 weeks later and the "game rest" still has NOT been met so the kid who now has plenty of rest (2 weeks) still cannot pitch. - Go figure

Again IMO, LL did not define what a "game is" and also did not take into account rain-outs / cancelled games etc.

You will also notice that LL did not amend the rule on resumed games. In that section no mention of game rest. If F1 was the pitcher of record in a game that got suspended as long as F1 meets his rest requirement he can still pitch - No mention of game.

My suggestion with these LL rules that are vague is to have you own Local Rule" that everyone understands and abides by.

Even the various LL Regions around the country have their own interpretations of some of these rule changes.

Oh and don't worry the rules will Change again come All Star time.

Pete Booth
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 09:27am
Official Forum Member

Pete - it's a game if at least one inning has been completed - basis 4.10(d).

LL has ruled this on many occasions.

The purpose of skipping a game has nothing, nada, zero to do with rest periods. It is there to force the development of more pitchers.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

As others have stated, the idea is to get more kids participating. We're 3/4 of the way through our season, and I can tell you the rule works. LOTS more kids getting the opportunity to pitch. As an umpire, that can get a bit tedious, but I think it's actually pretty cool. Less 2-1 games, and more 10-8 games. The kids seem to dig it, and the outcome is always in doubt until that last out.

If you pitch over so many you have to skip the next played game. Big deal. I'm seeing the teams with the best teachers winning more this season. If you can get that fifth kid to throw strikes, you have a chance. If you can't, then you whine about the rules.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 11:56am
Official Forum Member

Personally, I think that this should be handled just like FED & NCAA. It is not the umpire's job to deal with this. This belongs to the league BOD and the managers. When I am approached with pitching restriction rules, I give the managers a few minutes to work it out. If they cannot, my partner and I excuse ourselves from the game. Over the years, this has happened only a few times. Usually the managers work this all out for themselves.
Old Sun May 11, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Hey all,

This is a way to think about it that should clear this question up......

Did "Timmy" get the number of days rest required? AND
Did "Timmy" miss one game as a pitcher?

If you answered yes to both them he had 3 days rest and a game. Notice that there is no mention of WHEN the game was missed, pitching-wise.

LomUmp