The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

nobody called timeout!!!

Federation. Runners on 2nd and 1st. Two man crew. Plate ump takes his mask off , turns hus rump to the pitcher and proceeds to whisk off the plate. Runner on 2nd calmly strolls over to 3rd base as iff to talk to the coach. When he gets there he stays on the bag. Defensive coach screems that he has to go back to 2nd because plate ump had his back turned so time was automatically out. Umps allow runner to remain. what do you think?
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD
Federation. Runners on 2nd and 1st. Two man crew. Plate ump takes his mask off , turns hus rump to the pitcher and proceeds to whisk off the plate. Runner on 2nd calmly strolls over to 3rd base as iff to talk to the coach. When he gets there he stays on the bag. Defensive coach screems that he has to go back to 2nd because plate ump had his back turned so time was automatically out. Umps allow runner to remain. what do you think?
With runners on I always call timeout if the plate requires cleaning. It doesn't take all that long to put the ball back in play and saves a lot of unnecessary grief.

Rita
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 10:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD
Since most umpires would call time to dust the plate, I think you have a couple Smitty's to allow this to stand.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 10:58pm
Official Forum Member

Offense request time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD
What I think?
Coaches say the darndest things.
Live ball!
Two man crew.
BU in C position.
Offense doesn't request time.
Defense doesn't request time.
Neither ump grants time.
Coach should coach.

Last edited by SAump; Fri May 09, 2008 at 11:21pm.
Old Fri May 09, 2008, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Since most umpires would call time to dust the plate, I think you have a couple Smitty's to allow this to stand.
You've got it backwards, change 'Smitty's' and 'most umpires' and it would be correct.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 01:35am
Official Forum Member

"Of course I called time. You just didn't hear me. Everybody back."

If you allow runners to advance while you're cleaning the dish, you're a Gomer. (You're a Gomer for not calling time in the first place, but not covering yourself is even worse)
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 02:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
if you are amongst the group pointing fingers and calling people names you should keep in mind that when you point that finger there are 3 fingers pointing back at yourself. time should not be called to clean the plate. the less times you call time during the game, the better. runners advancing on the basepaths (other than those coming home, of course) during times like this are of little concern to me, as the PU, in anything other than a 1 man game. if they want to advance, more power to them. my partner will keep an eye on them.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 04:42am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
"Of course I called time. You just didn't hear me. Everybody back."

If you allow runners to advance while you're cleaning the dish, you're a Gomer. (You're a Gomer for not calling time in the first place, but not covering yourself is even worse)
I guess I'm a Gomer, then, whatever the hell that means. Leave it live. The base umpire can handle any call that needs to be made without my help.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 07:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
When I am on bases with experienced pards, PU never calls a strong "time" for dish whisking. If I see any runner getting antsy, I hold up one palm, about chest-high, turn and face the runner, silently.

Have never had a sitch like this where any advance was allowed.

IMHO, BU was snoozing.

Ace in CT
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
time should not be called to clean the plate. the less times you call time during the game, the better. runners advancing on the basepaths (other than those coming home, of course) during times like this are of little concern to me, as the PU, in anything other than a 1 man game. if they want to advance, more power to them. my partner will keep an eye on them.
I never knew it to be handled any differently until I read some of the earlier posts in this thread. I have to wonder why they don't trust their partners.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRD
If I see my partner going to dust off the plate, I am going to make sure that nothing, NOTHING happens on the bases! Where the hell was this guy's partner? Then to allow the play to stand? Yeah, just a couple of Smitties here!
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
show me ONE umpire manual that says to call time when cleaning the plate. i wish you luck.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 12:37pm
Official Forum Member

Why would you put the officiating crew in a predicament that is just aiming for trouble? Is not the PU the UIC for that game? No way am I not calling time to dust off the plate. Preventive umpiring 101.

When I coached, we would instruct our players that if you are on third and did not hear "time" when the PU dusted the plate, take off. You would be surprised how many different officials didn't understand what was going on and how many times we scored because the officials didn't control the game.

Take control of your game and prevent this before it happens. If your ego prevents you from doing this because you believe its your partners job, then remember when he looks bad and blows it, you both look bad.

I'm being pro-active and preventing it. "TIME"
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbybanaduck
show me ONE umpire manual that says to call time when cleaning the plate. i wish you luck.
Show me one that says you can't.
Old Sat May 10, 2008, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Step away from the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone
Why would you put the officiating crew in a predicament that is just aiming for trouble? Is not the PU the UIC for that game? No way am I not calling time to dust off the plate. Preventive umpiring 101.

When I coached, we would instruct our players that if you are on third and did not hear "time" when the PU dusted the plate, take off. You would be surprised how many different officials didn't understand what was going on and how many times we scored because the officials didn't control the game.

Take control of your game and prevent this before it happens. If your ego prevents you from doing this because you believe its your partners job, then remember when he looks bad and blows it, you both look bad.

I'm being pro-active and preventing it. "TIME"
Who has the ball? The defense.
Did the offense actually request time to talk to the runner? No.
Would the OC scream the same comment if a tag were applied to his runner for coming over to talk?
I can hear it now, "I wanted to talk to the runner while the PU was whisking the plate."
What would you instruct a fielder to do when a runner ventured too far from the base?
Perhaps the defense should have been watching the runner too.
Never once discouraged a pitcher/fielder initiated pickoff move.
But then a team can always find ways to blame the PU.
Come-on blue!

Last edited by SAump; Sat May 10, 2008 at 01:34pm.
Closed Thread