The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Injury on Awarded Bases

Surely some of us saw the story on ESPN regarding a softball player who injured herself on a 4 base award. The umpires told the coach that nobody could help her and no substitute could be made.

FED makes an exception to this by saying a substitute can be made in order to complete an award. OBR does not make this exception, saying that substitutes must be made during dead-balls.

A ball over the fence is not a live-ball. So can we allow a substitute to finish an award? FED clearly says we can, OBR says nothing. NCAA?

I'm not privy to any material other than OBR online and FED book while at school... enlighten me.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

All codes, including (according to other posts I've read) NCAA softball, allow a substitute runner to complete the award.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Thanks Bob... the reason I asked was because I could not find a specific rule in OBR or NCAA like I could in FED. Yet, it seemed to be implied in the wording of OBR 3.03...
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 10:44am
rei

Just a comment about that situation. I think it is even MORE of an amazing show of sportmanship concidering that a loss for Central Washington could mean they were out of the post season.

I sort of got choked up when reading about this.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

I believe the immediate preceding runner could have picked her up and carried her to the plate, as long as that runner touched the plate first, and was not passed by the B/R.

I recall an old (wives?) tale of a run being scored by a dead man. During a live ball, a runner collapsed and died between 3rd and home, and a trailing runner picked him up, carried him home and dropped him on the plate.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Thanks Bob... the reason I asked was because I could not find a specific rule in OBR or NCAA like I could in FED. Yet, it seemed to be implied in the wording of OBR 3.03...
OBR: 5.10(c)(1)

NCAA BB: 6-5-d AR

NCAA SB: 8-5-3-2
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 02:19pm
Official Forum Member

I think what was going on was that the girl who hit the HR wanted to be credited with it...which wouldn't happen if they put a runner in for her.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

Well, the problem was the umpires incorrectly ruling that the home run would become a single, and a substitute would be placed at first. Thus two runs would have scored instead of three. It was clarified later that they could have substituted and it still would have been a home run, as has already been explained here.

http://www.newhouse.com/opponents-ca...und-bases.html
Old Tue May 06, 2008, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

The legend grows:

Today on my school's student news program, the story was reported as the homerun being, "a game-winning homerun".