The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 02:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question Question from a basketball ref

While flipping channels today, I saw part of the game between the Nationals and the Scrubs (I'm a White Sox fan ). I know that a runner can go past first base and if he doesn't turn toward second, he can return safely to first. One of the Cub players beat out a ground ball by sliding into first and he actually went past it with his slide (he touched first properly on the way past it). Does the rule still apply that he can return safely to the base even though he slid rather than ran past the base? Is the rule different at different levels? Thanks guys.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

No problem with "sliding" past first as opposed to running. You also bought into one of the myths of baseball--turning to second. The rule is he has to advance towards second. Doesn't matter which way he turns, so long as he comes mostly directly back to first. But if he rounds first or moves towards second with any intent, even just checking his options, now he's fair game. Level, or baseball vs. softball doesn't matter.

BTW--GO CUBBIES!

Last edited by [email protected]; Sun Apr 27, 2008 at 02:14pm.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 05:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Mark - regarding returning to the base.

An attempt towards 2nd is often interpretted as taking a step toward advancement. The important thing is the runner's intent for that split second. The best way to judge his intent is to watch his first step. A runner who sees an overthrow will often times jab step towards 2nd (instinct). That is an attempt at advancement.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 05:56pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up

Thanks, guys. If you ever have any basketball rules questions, just post them on the basketball forum and we'll try our best to make something up.
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 10:03pm
Archaic Power Monger

Mark can a coach call a time out?
Old Sun Apr 27, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett
Thanks, guys. If you ever have any basketball rules questions, just post them on the basketball forum and we'll try our best to make something up.

I'll ask here.. When did the jump stop become 'not travelling', and why?
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 06:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
I'll ask here.. When did the jump stop become 'not travelling', and why?
I'm not Padgett, but I know the answer: when and because it failed to meet the definition of traveling.

Next question?
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 07:01am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
I'm not Padgett, but I know the answer: when and because it failed to meet the definition of traveling.
For the record, the rules language re: traveling hasn't changed in the last fifty years either.

Two situations:
1) if a player catches the ball with both feet off the floor while moving or dribbling and he then lands on one foot, he can legally jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both feet.
2) If a player catches the ball with one foot on the floor while moving or dribbling, he can legally jump off that foot and land on both feet simultaneously.
In both situations, the player can't legally pivot using either foot after landing.

Of course, if Rich is referring to the NBA, I can't help him. I don't have a clue what comprises traveling in that league. Or what comprises a foul. Or what comprises palming. Etc., etc.
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 07:38am
Official Forum Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
For the record, the rules language re: traveling hasn't changed in the last fifty years either.

Two situations:
1) if a player catches the ball with both feet off the floor while moving or dribbling and he then lands on one foot, he can legally jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both feet.
2) If a player catches the ball with one foot on the floor while moving or dribbling, he can legally jump off that foot and land on both feet simultaneously.
In both situations, the player can't legally pivot using either foot after landing.

Of course, if Rich is referring to the NBA, I can't help him. I don't have a clue what comprises traveling in that league. Or what comprises a foul. Or what comprises palming. Etc., etc.
Yeah, just watching Lebron yesterday and he traveled at least five times and it was just ignored.

Tell the kids don't watch ...
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

(I'm a White Sox fan )

Don't apologize. It takes all kinds. And there are too few of your kind.

Bob
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 02:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee

Two situations:

Does anyone? I've counted three, for, and even FIVE steps, with no whistle.

Bob
Old Mon Apr 28, 2008, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
When did the jump stop become 'not travelling', and why?
What about carrying the ball, I remember when players dribbled the ball from the top. Now it seems like most of the players catch the dribble from the bottom and carry the ball turning it 180 degrees before sending it back down.

I've lost all interest in the NBA, haven't watched more than 5 minuets since David Robinson retired. Now I'll watch my 'Heels play all day long. I love NCAA basketball it almost seems like a different sport from the NBA.
Old Wed Apr 30, 2008, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Regarding the slide at 1B

Not only a step to 2B places the runner in jeopardy of being tagged out. A B/R who advances to 1B succesfully, and then returns to the home plate side of 1B can be tagged out. So, a B/R who slides into 1B and stands up on the home plate side of 1B w/out remaining in contact w/base can be tagged out. NCAA 8-5-j-AR3.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Not only a step to 2B places the runner in jeopardy of being tagged out. A B/R who advances to 1B succesfully, and then returns to the home plate side of 1B can be tagged out. So, a B/R who slides into 1B and stands up on the home plate side of 1B w/out remaining in contact w/base can be tagged out. NCAA 8-5-j-AR3.
Ditto for any BR awarded 1B from a walk. If the jog past the bag, they may be tagged out.
Old Thu May 01, 2008, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Fritz... only under some rule codes can a batter be called out for over running 1st on a walk.

I've never spoken to anyone who has actually seen it happen anyways...