The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
The bolded areas show the mistake that was made in this case. The PU should have done the same thing a pro umpire does when he requests more baseballs from the dugout. The umpire will signal the number of balls he wants from the bench, then wait until after the next pitch or play to have the ball boy run them out to him. He does not hold up the game with the pitcher on his plate and ready to go, which wastes time and interupts the flow.

This was poor game management. The PU should have held up his hand like a stop sign toward the coach who was getting his attention, and said something to the effect of, "next play, Skip," or "Hang on to 'em." Then after the next pitch or play, had the bench player trot out the baseballs. The pitcher should not have been put in that position to start with, as he was ready, and the ball was alive and in play.
I agree.
I never said proper mechanics were used, but that doesn't answer the Q
Would you enforce the balk?
Old Fri May 02, 2008, 04:15pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
I agree.
I never said proper mechanics were used, but that doesn't answer the Q
Would you enforce the balk?
What balk? I don't have a balk. Same as if the batter steps out of the box out of frustration of the unnecessary delay. He didn't ask for Time before stepping out, but there was an obvious umpire-created delay on the field, so it's nothing. Same here. Pivot foot, non-pivot foot, who cares? The bottom line is that he was ready to pitch, and Chucklehead working the dish decided to throw off everyone's timing so he could add some balls to his bag. Whoopie.

Now, if everyone is in position and ready to go, and then he steps off with his non-pivot foot, by all means balk it.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sat May 03, 2008, 11:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
What balk? I don't have a balk. Same as if the batter steps out of the box out of frustration of the unnecessary delay. He didn't ask for Time before stepping out, but there was an obvious umpire-created delay on the field, so it's nothing. Same here. Pivot foot, non-pivot foot, who cares? The bottom line is that he was ready to pitch, and Chucklehead working the dish decided to throw off everyone's timing so he could add some balls to his bag. Whoopie.

Now, if everyone is in position and ready to go, and then he steps off with his non-pivot foot, by all means balk it.
Thank you.

Although some may think your answer is crap I agree as you do, that sometimes the best interest of the game supercedes the rules.

Then going back to the OP, IMO, deny the appeal, eject the PA and play ball.
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 01:13am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Ump
dash,

There has been precedent set in MiLB and you also cant forget the infamous "Three Blind Mice" ejection...

I'd use the term as liberally as possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by socalblue1
Nope - Golden League is an Indie & NOT affiliated with MiLB, which is why they got away with a stupid stunt like having the PA clown work an inning as an umpire.

here's your milb precedent if you are still wanting one. scroll down about halfway and look for "ejected" as the header on the left. mmmmm. boiling point.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.c...2742/index.htm
Old Mon May 05, 2008, 02:47am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO ump
Thank you.

Although some may think your answer is crap I agree as you do, that sometimes the best interest of the game supercedes the rules.
I also wouldn't go so far as to say that my solution supersedes any rules, it just makes sense to do it that way. The ball in this case was not ready for play, so no harm, no foul.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon May 05, 2008 at 07:31am.