The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
Unfortunately I do not have a great basis for comparison with my neighbours to the south, because I've only umpired there on a couple occasions. I do get the picture that you guys pay better and have more baseball leagues, but that's about all I can tell.
We certainly have more leagues, and I can't talk at all about pay. I know I get paid better here in the US than I did while working games in one of your fellow Commonwealth countries (Australia).

But it just seems - from what you've mentioned, and what "ExCop" has discussed on [OTHER FORUM NAME DELETED] - that some of the leagues up there are like a circus, game-in, game-out, with the way players and coaches act.

It's probably not a Canadian thing, but it sometimes seems like it. As if, when the players finally get weather enough to get out on the fields, they go slightly insane.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Perhaps our neighboring Canucks get upset on the ballfield because of their Navy...

DISCLAIMER: One day I am going to defect to Canada. I do like them. Just trying to lighten up somebody's Monday.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Just one small problem: that boat's logo is from the US Coast Guard.

Nice pop gun though. What is that, 50mm?
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 03:16pm
Official Forum Member

Why the trolling motor? The recoil from that weapon will provide all the propulsion that little dingy needs!
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
ahh Byron, you caught me red-handed.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know if disorderly conduct is unique to baseball in Canada. Many umpires on here have mentioned adult rec leagues being leagues to avoid due to bad behaviour. It's sad that the older age range of baseball players (18+) tends to give the sport its worst reputation.

I agree with HokieUmp's point that being able to finally set foot on a diamond makes people go insane. The umpires may be a source of catharsis for people who do not have the athletic ability to play winter sports such as hockey. People also tend to take negative feelings from work with them to the ballgame.

I say that my team does not give umpires much trouble. Our manager has thrown the helmet a couple times, and I have warned him that he could get tossed for it, but other than that you won't hear more than a peep from us.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 06:31pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron

Nice pop gun though. What is that, 50mm?
It is a Browning M2 .50 Heavy machinegun. It first saw use in WWI and it is still in use by the US military, almost exclusively as a vehicle mounted weapon.
Old Mon Apr 21, 2008, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member

This is why I never do adult baby-sitti...... errr, baseball !!!!

Arnie

You can't fix stupid - Ron White
Old Tue Apr 22, 2008, 05:59am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to charliej47 Send a message via MSN to charliej47 Send a message via Yahoo to charliej47
Talking

I have not umpired an adult game in six years because of the conduct of the players. The last league I worked had a one minute time limit on ejects. The plays was to leave the field within one minute or the game was over. He had to be out of sight before the game could re-start.