The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Correct. Under NFHS Rules the only way a fielder could be in non-confromance with the rule would be to have both feet in foul territory. If the player was in foul ground then the umpire could not legally put a ball into play.
I'll go you one better, Tim. Under OBR, because all 9 fielders (well, the catcher excepted, technically) must be on the field of play--meaning within fair territory for everyone other than the catcher--in order to make the ball live again, there can be no "balk" if a fielder is in foul territory because the ball could not have legally become live again. If the umpire inadvertently makes it live, this is disregarded because he cannot by rule put the ball back into play until the fielders are within fair territory.

Example: To start the inning the plate umpire signals "Play!" The pitch is thrown for a ball when suddenly it is noticed that the right fielder is running toward right fielder. Apparently he had been asleep at the wheel when the inning started and someone told him to get his arse out onto the field. Ruling: Negate the pitch of a ball and start the inning over; F9 wasn't in fair territory to properly begin the inning.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 12:07pm
Official Forum Member

One of those notorious and yet rare (legal) "do-overs".
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 01:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
FED 1-1-4?

If you read Tee's last line literally, the penalty listed for 1-1-4 will not come into play.

"At the time of the pitch all fielders shall be on fair ground except for the catcher...."

As the umpire...make it so.

Last edited by GarthB; Mon Apr 07, 2008 at 02:05pm.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Hell on earth

One possible version of HELL and eternal damnation is where in the afterlife you are an umpire of 9 year olds where the kids not only pitch.. but there are BALKS. I guess that makes heaven Coach pitch. Good grief.

Me, I'll gladly take the flames and scourging. I'm sure THAT's where the guy is who came up with the idea of having balk rules for 9 year olds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElPanadero
Can you call a balk on a 3rd baseman?

Here's the situtation: bases loaded in the bottom of the extra inning of a 5-5 Mustang game (9 & 10 year olds). .
Old Mon Apr 07, 2008, 05:23pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebran
One possible version of HELL and eternal damnation is where in the afterlife you are an umpire of 9 year olds where the kids not only pitch.. but there are BALKS.
I worked Little League when they still had a balk rule. That sounds about right.