The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 09:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reed
Rule 2.00 (Interference) Comment: In the event the batter-runner has not reached first base, all runners shall return to the base last occupied at the time of the pitch.

So in the OP, B/R is interfering by being out of the running lane, and the inteference happens before B/R reached first.

And as I mentioned, in the event of an "Intervening Play," one source says other runners except for R3 return to time of interference bases, another source says time of pitch.
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 11:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Ump25,

Which reference says "time of pitch" following an "intervening play"?

Not arguing, just curious. I don't recall seeing that one.

JM
Old Wed Apr 02, 2008, 11:57pm
Official Forum Member

The Jaksa/Roder manual stipulates it's a return to TOP base while the MLB Umpire Manual says it's a return to TOI bases when the Intervening Play occurs.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

It's important to remember that the runners'-lane rule refers to the runner's interference with F3 taking the throw, not the fielder throwing. If the throw isn't perfect, therfore, the umpire's analysis should focus on whether F3 could have caught the ball if the runner weren't violating. Thus, unless the throw is so bad that no reasonable fielder could have caught it the umpire should resolve doubt on the side of calling interference. Especially in upper-level games where the fielder's athletcism permits them to field most of what comes at them.

For baseball officials that also officiate football, an good analogy is to a deep official's analysis of whether a pass is uncatchable to permit the waiving off of a DPI flag. College-level players are good enough to catch many a bad pass, so the pro and D-1 philosophy is to resolve doubt on the side of catchable.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
The Jaksa/Roder manual stipulates it's a return to TOP base while the MLB Umpire Manual says it's a return to TOI bases when the Intervening Play occurs.
My 2008 J/R says TOI.

"If a runner from third has acquired home plate despite a play against him, and then interference occurs by the batter-runner before he reaches first base, the run is allowed to score, unless the interference was the third out. All runners not out on such a play are awarded the last base touched before the time of the interference. The play at the plate is called the "intervening play."
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 10:01pm
Official Forum Member

Well, my J/R says TOP.

Personally, I don't care which it is so long as there's ONE correct answer. I've used the TOI when an Intervening Play occurs for logical reasons. If R3 is allowed to score, returning to TOP bases would then mean R3's run is to be negated, which it's not.
Old Thu Apr 03, 2008, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
Well, my J/R says TOP.

Personally, I don't care which it is so long as there's ONE correct answer. I've used the TOI when an Intervening Play occurs for logical reasons. If R3 is allowed to score, returning to TOP bases would then mean R3's run is to be negated, which it's not.
R3 scores in this case, unless the interference is the 3rd out. It's the other runners, if they exist, affected by TOI ruling.

My 2004 J/R says "TOP base, with the following exceptions" and the intervening play is an exception. The 2008 edition specifically indicates TOI for the intervening play exception.

So if you don't care as long as there is ONE correct answer go with TOI, since 2008 J/R indicates such, and more importantly the MLBUM agrees.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 12:29am
Official Forum Member

DG, I agree that TOI is the newer and better answer.

But so you know that UMP25 isn't making stuff up, my copy of the 2004 J/R explicitly says TOP in example 11(a). I suppose it says TOI now.
Old Fri Apr 04, 2008, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
So if you don't care as long as there is ONE correct answer go with TOI, since 2008 J/R indicates such, and more importantly the MLBUM agrees.
Which is what I've done, for logical reasons, as I mentioned above. Fortunately, though, I have yet to have this specific play occur. I DID, however, have a Running Lane Interference call that ended the first game of the doubleheader I had last Saturday. Home team was trailing 4-1 with runners on base and two outs in the last inning. I had to bang out the batter-runner for R.L.I., which ended the game. Not a pretty site. It made the plate meeting for game two that much more enjoyable. Not.