The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching a womens NCAA fastpitch game on TV the other night and have a question about a play.
R1 on 1st.. Pitch is delivered.. catcher catches ball and tries to pick off R1 who has taken a big lead...throw is wild and rolls into the dead ball territory where the media has set up cameras and tri-pods.
Umpires award R1 2nd base.
I thought that they should have awarded her 3rd. Is the NCAA rule different than FED rule 8-4-g?
Old Sun Apr 13, 2003, 08:24pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA play,if a batted or thrown ball accidentally hits nongame personnel,the ball remains live.It is not interference if the individual tries to evade the ball or is not aware that the ball is coming.Effect: The umpire shall award the appropriate compensation(ie extra bases)that in his or her opinion,would have resulted had interference not taken place.(Rule 9-11)I hope this answers your question as I didnt see the play in question. Jeff
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 12:35am
Official Forum Member

Did the ball actually enter DBT?
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

Like MO99 Stated.

In NCAA play,if a batted or thrown ball accidentally hits nongame personnel,the ball remains live.It is not interference if the individual tries to evade the ball or is not aware that the ball is coming.Effect: The umpire shall award the appropriate compensation(ie extra bases)that in his or her opinion,would have resulted had interference not taken place.(Rule 9-11)

See page 96

Now then, it also states that Authorized media may be in foul territory but must be ready to move quickly........Monopods are allowed, but Tripods are not.

I didn't see the play, but just because the media was on the field, doesn't mean they were in DBT.
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
Like MO99 Stated.

In NCAA play,if a batted or thrown ball accidentally hits nongame personnel,the ball remains live.It is not interference if the individual tries to evade the ball or is not aware that the ball is coming.Effect: The umpire shall award the appropriate compensation(ie extra bases)that in his or her opinion,would have resulted had interference not taken place.(Rule 9-11)

See page 96

Now then, it also states that Authorized media may be in foul territory but must be ready to move quickly........Monopods are allowed, but Tripods are not.

I didn't see the play, but just because the media was on the field, doesn't mean they were in DBT.
That statement is correct. However, remove the reference of the media from the original post. The scenario stated it went into DBT. Unless NCAA has a specific rule to kill a play for media in play, I would think that if the umpire killed the play, the media was set-up in DBT.

Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 09:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oatmealqueen
I was watching a womens NCAA fastpitch game on TV the other night and have a question about a play.
R1 on 1st.. Pitch is delivered.. catcher catches ball and tries to pick off R1 who has taken a big lead...throw is wild and rolls into the dead ball territory where the media has set up cameras and tri-pods.
Umpires award R1 2nd base.
I thought that they should have awarded her 3rd. Is the NCAA rule different than FED rule 8-4-g?
I took that as an implication that DBT had been setup for the media. That may or may not have been true. I was just quoting the rule from the rulebook. If DBT had been previously outlined in the pre-game, then I can not imagine a NCAA Ump getting the play wrong....Further, I can not imagine a NCAA Coach not coming completely unglued at a gross mis-application of the rules.

Once again, I did not see the game. I can only base my comment(s) regarding coaches/umpires on the conferences we work.

Who was playing and what conference?????
Old Mon Apr 14, 2003, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

I took that as an implication that DBT had been setup for the media.

Sorry I'm really tired right now and shouldn't be typing. ......I ment to say that the original post implied that since the media was in a specific area that DBT had to exist...That may or may not be true......

Once again I apologize for mis-typing
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 07:19am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
SB - Rules differences list

Is there a list online of NCAA vs. NFHS FP rules differences (like the NFHS vs. ASA list)? If so, where?
Old Tue Apr 15, 2003, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Not any more......This was pulled from http://www.cactusumpires.com.

College Stuff Top
2003 NCAA - ASA - Federation Rules Differences

This document discusses the major differences in softball rules between High School Federation, ASA (female adult and JO), and NCAA. Each listing has the rule references for the 2003 rulebooks. Many umpires go to this document first when they have a question and the rules references point them quickly to the actual rule. Presented in an easy-to-read format with a complete table of contents.

Compiling what amounts to a book in itself is a huge time investment for John Bennett - the guy we have come to depend upon for giving us this superb publication. Besides the time involved, it also takes a chunk out of John's pocket to print and distribute it. He can no longer afford to support all of us in this area. Beginning 2003, if you want this "fabulous cheat-sheet" you will need to order and pay for a copy. Because integrity is integral to being an umpire, it is assumed that no umpire purchasing the publication will make copies for friends.

$7.00 (includes the document and shipping)

(Please, do not request an electronic copy.)

Your Handbook will be mailed within 2 days of receipt of check.

To order your copy of the "The Umpire Handbook of Softball Rules Differences, Version 4 for the 2003 season, please send check (payable to John Bennett) to:

John Bennett
6263 Via Ribazo
Anaheim, CA 92807
714-637-4769
[email protected]