Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=GarthB]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth

Your association is paying for the books. There is no free lunch.
I get books every year with my tests and whatnot when I ship off my check to the KSHSAA. No association involved. Maybe it's a state to state deal?
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

The PDF format is new and the links to get there are new, but the rule and case books have been on-line for at least two years now.

The $20 access fee isn't new, either. That fee covers enrollment in the NFHS Officials Association and being a paid member has always been a requirement to access their on-line rule books.

Our state (Ohio) registration fees already include this fee and we are automatically enrolled. It is my understanding that is not the case with every state. If you receive their "Official's Quarterly" magazine in the mail, that means that you have likely already paid this fee and are a member, whether you realize it or not.

Not only must you be a paid member of of the Officials Association, but you must also register with the NFHS web site to gain access.

The versions of the rule and case books that have been available for a few years were not PDF documents that look like the actual printed books. They were in a separate typed format that was searchable and copyable. Some of the sections seemed to "abridged" in that they would leave out some details or wording from the printed books.

The old books were found under a link entitled "On-Line Publications", while the new ones are in something they call the "Resource Library". While the name is new, as is the link and format, these books have been there for us for sometime now. They just didn't seem to be well-publicized as many officials I talk to do not seem to know they exist.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Because of costs (books and postage) IHSA will send rule and case books alternating years. WIAA (Wisc.) includes all books for $10/yr. Plus a nifty newsletter bi-monthly.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas

I get books every year with my tests and whatnot when I ship off my check to the KSHSAA. No association involved. Maybe it's a state to state deal?
As I said, there's no free lunch.
Old Sun Mar 23, 2008, 05:14pm
Official Forum Member

Gentlemen:

Just as a note:

The National Federation of State High Schools gains revenue from publications.

Since the NFHS does not have either National Championships or a National TV contract all operating funds come from member schools, ads or charging for publication.

Just because you pay some type of a registration fee it does not mean that get everything included.

Think of the NFHS as an ala carte dinner.

Some states charge enough for the basic packet that many things are covered HOWEVER some states only make available and therefore charge for only portions of what is available.

Regards,

Tim Christensen

National Federation of State High Schools
Publication Committee

"High School Today"
Old Mon Mar 24, 2008, 01:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarthB
As I said, there's no free lunch.
Understood, but it made it sound like your association dues were covering books. My bad.