The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

First Game

Doing my first game on tuesday night 3-18, I think that I have all of the rules down in my head and where I need to be on most of the plays.

Any tips or help?
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DwBrown1970
Doing my first game on tuesday night 3-18, I think that I have all of the rules down in my head and where I need to be on most of the plays.

Any tips or help?
Don't take your eye off the baseball, especially when the ball is live.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:42pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:

Any tips or help?

Forget that you ever said that.

Reminds me of what my CFI said when I went to solo for my private pilot license.

"Don't crash".

God, he was soooooooooo right.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any tips or help?
Don't give up! Work hard and most all remember, "Nobody comes to games to watch you umpire."

Good Luck
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Work hard and HAVE FUN.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Don't dwell on any mistakes while the game is still going. Focus instead on possible next plays.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
All good advice above.

1) Always know where the ball is (sometimes you will have to look away to glance for runners touching, possible OBS). Just know where the ball is at all times and where it could potentially go. Trust typical baseball instincts.

2) TIMING TIMING TIMING. Don't get jumpy. See the play, see it again in your head, call it. This goes for balls / strikes, safe/outs, fair/foul. Nobody is going to give you grief if you wait a beat to make a call. Take your time, it will save you a lot of trouble throughout your umpiring career.

3) Be confident. On your ball field, there are two rules that you must agree with in your own psyche. a) You're always right b) If you're wrong, see rule a. After the game, you can admit fault in your own head. But don't do it during the game. Convince yourself every call was the right one. Display that confidence to game participants if questioned.

10 games in, come back and post how you've been doing. 10 games in will be a good time to set up some goals for the season that can be re-evaulated in October or November. Without goals, we don't know where we should be going

I'd say these 3 tips should give you an enjoyable start. Umpiring doesn't look difficult or sound difficult, but it is. The pursuit of perfection is most enjoyable, but probably not attainable. Which is what makes umpiring one of my passions. I hope it becomes one for you too, and you continue to want to learn about umpiring.

Cheers mate!
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 01:00am
Official Forum Member

If you think you're a beat slow, you're probably a beat too fast. Almost every rookie umpire thinks they have to make every call right away, and it can bite you on the ***. And then you'll look silly calling the BR out at first when the ball dribbles out of F3's glove.

Not that I've ever done that.......
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56

Forget that you ever said that.

Reminds me of what my CFI said when I went to solo for my private pilot license.

"Don't crash".

God, he was soooooooooo right.
Did your plane end up in the lake?
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 01:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Any tips or help?

Don't suck.

Wadda you guys, brand new to this umpire stuff?

p.s. expect your partner(s) to punch you square in the chest protector just before giving you my advise.

Last edited by kylejt; Tue Mar 18, 2008 at 01:36am.