The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 15, 2008, 11:48pm
Official Forum Member

Great posts regarding the Fed OBS rule. I understand why Fed has the new rule but don't like the way it is supposed to be inforced in some instances. I have had a few this year that I don't like to award but have to due to the new rule. Ex; R1 gets back safely to 1B on a pick move by F1 but F3 has his size 15 foot across the leading edge of the bag prior to possession of the ball. In the years past, no problem, he was safe. Under new rule, R1 is supposed to be awarded 2nd. Is this what Fed wanted to achieve with this rule?
Old Sun Mar 16, 2008, 12:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard
Great posts regarding the Fed OBS rule. I understand why Fed has the new rule but don't like the way it is supposed to be inforced in some instances. I have had a few this year that I don't like to award but have to due to the new rule. Ex; R1 gets back safely to 1B on a pick move by F1 but F3 has his size 15 foot across the leading edge of the bag prior to possession of the ball. In the years past, no problem, he was safe. Under new rule, R1 is supposed to be awarded 2nd. Is this what Fed wanted to achieve with this rule?
Yep. It doesn't matter if the runner worked his way around the obstruction, penalize the illegal act.

This no different than F4 blocking access to second on a steal and R1 working his way to the base before getting tagged.

Or, a criminal breaks into a house and discovers nothing worth stealing and leaves. He's still arrested for the initial act.

The "no harm, no foul" theory doesn't appy.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 05:23pm
Official Forum Member

what do you think of this one

R1. Batter hits a double in the gap. R1, while rounding third base, is obstructed by the third baseman, and is caught in a run-down when the outfielder throws home. Meanwhile, the batter-runner has come all the way around to third base during the rundown and is standing on third base when R1 goes back safely into third. Two runners standing on third base. What is the call?
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra2955

Quote:
R1. Batter hits a double in the gap. R1, while rounding third base, is obstructed by the third baseman, and is caught in a run-down when the outfielder throws home. Meanwhile, the batter-runner has come all the way around to third base during the rundown and is standing on third base when R1 goes back safely into third. Two runners standing on third base. What is the call?
The call in FED and NCAA assuming playing action has ended meaning the trail runner does not try and retreat backwards is:

1. TIME
2. R1 is awarded home
3. You did not mention anything about the BR except that he is standing on third so BR stays there.

Under OBR when R1 got caught in a run down it is Type A OBS so as soon as R1 was caught in a run-down the call would be

1. TIME
2. R1 awarded home
3. Umpire judgement as to where to place the BR. You did not say where the BR was at the moment R1 got caught in a run-down.

Pete Booth
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 08:52pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:

Score the run, BR= 3B.

Next.
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 09:41pm
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klokard
R1 gets back safely to 1B on a pick move by F1 but F3 has his size 15 foot across the leading edge of the bag prior to possession of the ball................
HALT!

I have OBS and I'm moving the R to B2.

Coach: "How can you make that call?
Me: "Don't want to have me make that call, tell your F1 to allow free access to first."
Old Mon Mar 17, 2008, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Hi guys,

Lap I know I am late on this, but last year FED put a case book play in that says directly what others are telling you, if the BR is not attempting to go to 2B, "the obstruction is ignored."
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 07:35am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Define more clearly what you mean by "while rounding" -- where the obstruction occurred.

If the obstruction was after R1 reached third, then I agree with Pete and FitUmp.

If the oabstruction was prior to R1 reaching third, and you think R1 would have scored absent the obstruction, then I agree with Pete and FitUmp.

If, however, the obstruction was prior to R1 reaching third and you were only protecting R1 to third, then the play stands. Since two runners are on the same base the trail runner (BR in this instance) is out when tagged.
Old Tue Mar 18, 2008, 01:28pm
Official Forum Member

My Bad kind of vague

R1 has past third. BR and R1 are both on third when tag occurs. Again both runners are tagged.
Hope this clears it up