The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 03:08am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncump7
Do you guys tell the batter to move or just hope he does? I usually say "out of the way, batter" and say it again louder if he does't move. Most of the time he is in my way when I am trying to move to make a call. I'm thinking if he doesn't move, he has opened himself up to a possible interference call.
Or you pressure him onto moving into the path causing interference. Baby ball, yeah, I can see this, anything other, let them play.
Old Thu Feb 21, 2008, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
In a semipro game in 1969, the plate ump shoved me pretty hard back toward the 3B dugout, saying, "You gotta get outta here!" as a double steal was developing. (The runner was put out at home on the throw from F6.)

I didn't think much of the shove, since I was worried that I had missed a sign (but I had not). I wish I could remember the exact circumstances, since I knew to get out of the way without being shoved. However, I do remember not thinking that the ump had done anything wrong.
It makes sense that you remember thinking that the umpire had not done anything wrong. That umpire might saved you from causing interference. That umpire was lucky. What would you manager have said if the umpire accidentally shovle you in front of the guy trying to score and gave the catcher a better oppotunity tag him out?

Like many minor mistakes that umpires often make on the field, we get away with it 99% of the time. It is that "once a season" situation that can bight you in the ***.

Another example is the umpire punches out strike three by turning to the side. Clinic everywhere teach that we should keep our eyes forward, because of that "once a season" chance we will miss a play that might immediatle follow the strike out. Many umpires turn to the side for years and nothing happens, then when it does they wonder how they missed it.