The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

How about this scenrio? Bases loaded with same situation but F2's throw to 3rd hit B1's bat and deflects into dugout. How many runners score? This actually happened in a game.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:44pm
Official Forum Member

If it's INT, none. If not, 2.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:54pm
Stop staring at me swan.

if the hitter is doing his job, you can't penalize him for the ball accidentally hitting his bat. dash riprock is correct.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 12:58pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I read the interps toward the bottom on page 1...there are some good points, but with this type of sitch, it's probably best to see the play in a video clip or something...just because the batter leaves the box...we can't be that black and white and say that because a ball hits him, we have INT...

It could be...but it might be nothing...the discussion now is important because we'll see this stuff and we need to be prepared by knowing the rules and the what we'd do if...
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 02:14pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by rngrck
How about this scenrio? Bases loaded with same situation but F2's throw to 3rd hit B1's bat and deflects into dugout. How many runners score? This actually happened in a game.
You left out a key ingredient. Day or night game.........
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Darned if I didn't have two such plays last year:

1. Abel on 2B, Baker on 1B, 1 out. Batter (the pitcher) fouls off two bunt attempts on outside pitches. On the next pitch, the batter crowds the plate as he squares to try a 2-strike bunt, and Abel is off on the pitch. F1 smokes the inside corner for strike 3 and the batter gets off balance as he flinches on the close pitch. F2, standing practically up against the batter, pumps once with the batter in the way, causing the batter to flinch again and reflexively raise his hands (bat in left hand) about shoulder high. Now F2 throws to 3B too late, and the ball ticks the bat (without any perceptible deflection). Safe at 3B.

F2 asks me whether that should have been INT on the batter. I said no, since the batter didn't intentionally interfere. I admit, though, that because the batter's flinch caused his hands to rise, I've run that play through my mind many times since.

2. In another strange one, with Abel on 3B and 0 outs, the RH batter took ball 3 outside and then stepped backwards out of the box to adjust his grip on the bat. I'm expecting F2 to throw the ball back to the pitcher, but instead he suddenly tries a snap throw to 3B to pick off Abel. The ball hits the batter's helmet and caroms into the stands.

Abel ran home, but I sent him back and let play resume. I know that it has to be either interference on the batter (steps out the box and interferes with a play) or simply a ball thrown into DBT. However, I figured that since the throw came after the batter stepped out—later than the usual timing we think of for such a play—I couldn't call the batter out. I also couldn't award Abel home, since the batter shouldn't have been out of the box. The offensive coach asked about the ruling but to my surprise accepted my explanation. Again, I've ruminated over that play ever since.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

OK, well:

1. Intent is not necessary for BI, so telling F2 that the batter did not intentionally interfere doesn't answer his question. If the batter does something that interferes with the throw (and from your sitch it sounds as if he did), then we've got BI. Especially if he has stepped out over the plate (which is unclear from your account).

2. An excellent reason to enforce 6.02(d).
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 05:03pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
Darned if I didn't have two such plays last year:

1. Abel on 2B, Baker on 1B, 1 out. Batter (the pitcher) fouls off two bunt attempts on outside pitches. On the next pitch, the batter crowds the plate as he squares to try a 2-strike bunt, and Abel is off on the pitch. F1 smokes the inside corner for strike 3 and the batter gets off balance as he flinches on the close pitch. F2, standing practically up against the batter, pumps once with the batter in the way, causing the batter to flinch again and reflexively raise his hands (bat in left hand) about shoulder high. Now F2 throws to 3B too late, and the ball ticks the bat (without any perceptible deflection). Safe at 3B.

F2 asks me whether that should have been INT on the batter. I said no, since the batter didn't intentionally interfere. I admit, though, that because the batter's flinch caused his hands to rise, I've run that play through my mind many times since.

2. In another strange one, with Abel on 3B and 0 outs, the RH batter took ball 3 outside and then stepped backwards out of the box to adjust his grip on the bat. I'm expecting F2 to throw the ball back to the pitcher, but instead he suddenly tries a snap throw to 3B to pick off Abel. The ball hits the batter's helmet and caroms into the stands.

Abel ran home, but I sent him back and let play resume. I know that it has to be either interference on the batter (steps out the box and interferes with a play) or simply a ball thrown into DBT. However, I figured that since the throw came after the batter stepped out—later than the usual timing we think of for such a play—I couldn't call the batter out. I also couldn't award Abel home, since the batter shouldn't have been out of the box. The offensive coach asked about the ruling but to my surprise accepted my explanation. Again, I've ruminated over that play ever since.

Wow, two crazy things in a year...I think INT is a pretty obvious call here...intent is a common myth w/ regard to BI or no BI...

As for the 2nd sitch...what a crazy scenario...would calling "nothing" have been okay here? Honestly, I'm not saying I would've gotten it right last year...but because you typed it on here...I'm now running through the scenario in my mind so I get it right if it happens this year. 6.02(b) could be applied here...but maybe not. You might have nothing on this type of play.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 05:36pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I worked BU last year when my PU called BI on a steal of 3rd, a snap throw by F2 that hit his bat while in the box. We talked about it afterward and I just couldn't bring myself to calling BI on that sitch w/o a willful and deliberate act by the batter. He stuck to his call though.
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler
You left out a key ingredient. Day or night game.........
Another key ingredient..............was it sunny or overcast
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 06:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron
OK, well:

2. An excellent reason to enforce 6.02(d).
Doesn't that depend upon which league this situation takes place?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

"2. In another strange one, with Abel on 3B and 0 outs, the RH batter took ball 3 outside and then stepped backwards out of the box to adjust his grip on the bat. I'm expecting F2 to throw the ball back to the pitcher, but instead he suddenly tries a snap throw to 3B to pick off Abel. The ball hits the batter's helmet and caroms into the stands."

If this was NFHS shouldn't you have considered the batter shouldn't have been at that location because the speed up rule does not allow the batter to step out of the box in this situation.

Batter wasn't supposed to be there ...... interference?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 06:30pm
Stop staring at me swan.

very true...there would be no argument there. Does FED still have the "one foot in the box" rule?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 06:30pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe
Doesn't that depend upon which league this situation takes place?
Turf, grass, or skin?
Old Tue Feb 19, 2008, 07:21pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyg08
Turf, grass, or skin?
Is "league" a new synonym for "playing surface"? When did this change occur?