The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 12:46pm
In Time Out

Roger before Congress

Anybody else watching the Congressional hearing with Roger Clemens? He's coming off very badly. What an idiot.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 01:18pm
Official Forum Member

A liar being interrogated by liars. Gripping.

The "evidence" is piling up that Roger Clemens did use the juice, but these Congressmen should be ashamed of themselves for wasting everyone's time and taxpayer money with this grandstanding.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

I wonder whether Jefferson, Hamilton, Franklin, Adams, et al. ever foresaw the day when United States senators would be questioning athletes about what they had ingested or injected.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
RC wins Round 1

I watched the whole hearing, and while RC had some problems at times, The Rep. from Indiana took McNamee apart. He did not have to appear today, and keep in mind he faces perjury charges if it is proven he lied under oath. The bottom line I feel here is credibility. Brian McNamee testified he has lied to police and when questioned by authorities before. He is a disgrace.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 04:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
but these Congressmen should be ashamed of themselves for wasting everyone's time and taxpayer money with this grandstanding.
Agreed, The Economy is in shambles, Foreclosers at a very high rate. People out of work and Congress is getting involved in something that is not their business.

But that's the world we live in. It's all about ME and Congress feels they can get some exposure and maybe help them get votes.

FWIW, Roger should blame himself and all the members of the players union. There was no policy and eventually this was going to happen.

My problem with this whole thing is this:

Either name ALL who have done the "juice" or none. We all know there were way more than 80 players who took the stuff. More like 700-800

IMO, Seileg is a coward. He should have simply said to Congress IN THE BEGINNING - It's MY bad, and then laid out his new policy and moved forward - End of Story similar to what the late Pete Rosell did when football had a rampant problem with steroid abuse in football.

Commisioner Rosell did not give names etc. He simply set a policy and moved forward NOT backward.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 06:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
IMO, Seileg is a coward. ...
Agreed. Selig is not fit for the office of Commissioner. He has no clue what "in the best interest of baseball" even means.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 06:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42
I watched the whole hearing, and while RC had some problems at times, The Rep. from Indiana took McNamee apart. He did not have to appear today, and keep in mind he faces perjury charges if it is proven he lied under oath. The bottom line I feel here is credibility. Brian McNamee testified he has lied to police and when questioned by authorities before. He is a disgrace.
Couldn't disgaree more. Roger is desparate and failing.

Remember, Congress also has the transcripts of Andy Pettite agreeing with McNamee, or is he lying, too? I guess everybody but Roger could be lying....but I doubt it.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:07am
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
IMO, Seileg is a coward. He should have simply said to Congress IN THE BEGINNING - It's MY bad, and then laid out his new policy and moved forward - End of Story similar to what the late Pete Rosell did when football had a rampant problem with steroid abuse in football.
Commisioner Rosell did not give names etc. He simply set a policy and moved forward NOT backward.
Pete Booth
Unfortunately, the good old US of A is all about dirty laundry. And seeing that somebody gets blamed, and then tarred and feathered. Why look forward when looking backward is so entertaining?

JJ
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cub42
McNamee's scum.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

y is everyone all over clemens but not bonds?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:41am
Official Forum Member

I couldn't care either way. All this steroids crap is interfering with the game of baseball. Too bad the media couldn't focus on pitchers and catchers reporting to spring training.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 12:43am
Official Forum Member

it won't be long before they have a tournament for this on fantazsports.com. i swear they have a tournament for everything. its crazy.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 01:18am
Official Forum Member

I found the questioning by Dan Burton to be hilarious. His characterization of McNamee, while seemingly correct, is clouded by the fact that he has a ton of skeletons in his closet also. People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Clemens came across either purposefully unsosphisticated or just plain dumb as he rambled on and answered questions. I just can't understand why he would keep McNamee around after McNamee injected Debbie Clemens and Roger got completely ticked off about it. But then again, I have no comprehension of why athletes surround themselves with the people they do.

Lawrence
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 02:46am
Official Forum Member

A disgraceful wasted over intrusion by people who ALLEGEDLY (or at least should) have better things to do.

A bunch of blow hards wanting to get their faces on TV and names in the press so they drag in Roger Clemens..

Personally, I dont care one way or the other.. if he broke the law.. thats not a Senate issue.

Did he and the others taint baseball?? Well.. know what? That's not a senate issue either. That is a MLB and their fans issue.

This is a pathetic fiasco on the part of congress.
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 07:13am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
Personally, I dont care one way or the other.. if he broke the law.. thats not a Senate issue.

Did he and the others taint baseball?? Well.. know what? That's not a senate issue either. That is a MLB and their fans issue.
Breaking the law isn't a Senate issue?

The usage of illegal drugs isn't a Senate issue?

Yer funny......
Closed Thread