The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 09:45am
Official Forum Member

Interference over Foul Territory

This particular play describes the interpretation of when interference occurs by a runner. There is often confusion about the placement of the runners, especially the batter-runner. When a particular situation is ambiguous in the OBR, there are often differing opinions as to how to interpret the rules. This is one of those instances. It was recently brought up in the MiLB Winter Rules Test. Each year, this test serves as a sounding board for umpire supervisors and evaluators as to how the rule is to be enforced on the field. When different people interpret the same rule, it is sometimes split amongst the different schools, and between the Major Leagues and Minor Leagues. We hope to begin offering some insight into these interpretations from our view. This particular situation brought up by the Winter Rules Test actually occurred in a Major League game with umpire Joe West this past season. We agree with his interpretation.
This is not the play in the MiLB rules test, but with the same principle.

Play: R3, no outs, 1-1 count. The batter hits a pop up around third base, right over the foul line. As R3 attempts to return to third he runs into the third baseman.

You can find our interpretation and explanation at http://www.websitetoolbox.com/mb/umpschool.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

The ruling the Wendelstedt School gives—R3 out for INT and BR awarded 1B—is consistent with the letter of the OBR book, and with the tenet that the ball is dead and has become simply an undifferentiated batted ball, neither fair nor foul. But as we all know, the letter of the book is often trumped by interpretation or instructions on how to call a particular play. The 2006 BRD, for example, says that R3 is out and the ball is treated as a foul. (The BRD cites significant differences in the way OBR, NCAA, and Fed would rule on the various possible INTs with ball or fielder when the ball is over foul territory.)

It is interesting that NCAA, ASA, and Fed softball have refined their definition of foul ball with an added stipulation: NCAA: "A legally batted ball that while both the ball and runner are in foul territory, the runner interferes with a defensive player's attempt to field a batted ball." ASA/Fed: "A batted ball that while over foul territory, a runner interferes with a defensive player attempting to field a batted ball."

[Unrelated Quiz: How many grammatical or syntactical errors can you find in the NCAA and ASA/Fed definitions?]
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 12:23pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule

[Unrelated Quiz: How many grammatical or syntactical errors can you find in the NCAA and ASA/Fed definitions?]
as far as FED is concerned, none. FED has it's own language where nothing matters.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

And,

TC wrote:

" . . . as far as FED is concerned, none. FED has it's own language where nothing matters."

In a conversation Sunday with a consultant that helps write NFHS Rules Books I was informed that it is "common knowlege" at the Indianapolis Offices that the Baseball Rules Book is the most poorly written rules book of all they provide.

The bottom line "reason" was the most interesting part of the conversation.

Regards,
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

FED has its own language where nothing matters.

I'll have to agree with you there, though some other codes are a mess, too. I don't know whether Bob Kanaby is still officially the publisher of the NFHS rule book, but he was when I was doing Fed. I always thought it ironic that the Fed book was so sloppily written, since Bob was principal of the high school where I taught English in the early 1970s, and he emphasized that we should teach the kids to use the language correctly.

. . . and that reason was . . . (?)
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 01:33pm
Stop staring at me swan.

so what would the FED ruling be in a case like this?
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member

so what would the FED ruling be in a case like this?

2006 BRD Play 154-307: R3, 0 out: B1 lifts a pop foul fly down the 3B line, where: (a) R3 prevents F5 from catching the fly; or (b) the 3B coach prevents the catch. Ruling: In (a) FED: B1 is out and R3 remains on base. NCAA and OBR: R3 is out and, if B1 has fewer than 2 strikes, a strike is called. In (b), B1 is out at all levels.

Note, however, that the OBR ruling here contradicts the Wendelstedt School ruling (R3 out and B1 awarded 1B).
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
TC wrote:

" . . . as far as FED is concerned, none. FED has it's own language where nothing matters."

In a conversation Sunday with a consultant that helps write NFHS Rules Books I was informed that it is "common knowlege" at the Indianapolis Offices that the Baseball Rules Book is the most poorly written rules book of all they provide.

Regards,
i never said anthing about the OBR book. i'll be in boarding group A if anyone is looking for volunteers to say it's poorly written.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C

Regards,

IMO, I think the reason they have such poor grammar and run-on sentences is so they can cut down on the number of pages they have to print, which will save them some money.

I would rather have a rule book that is spaced out properly with the rules clearly worded than have a crammed up rule book that saves me $4.

Now, I don't really believe 100% that's why they have terrible wording, but that's the only thing I can think of...
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendelstedt School
When a particular situation is ambiguous in the OBR, there are often differing opinions as to how to interpret the rules.
Which begs the age old question

When are the Official Rules of baseball going to be re-written to "take-out" these ambiguities?

Joe West could just as easily have ruled B1 out and keep R3 at third base.

Big difference for the Offense. In one instance they still have R3 in the other they only have B1.

Pete Booth
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 04:48pm
Stop staring at me swan.

I find it hard to believe that the worst that could happened in FED...that they get to keep the runner on base...in essence, to avoid a game ending double play with your nine hitter...the runner could literally tackle the F5 for the leadoff hitter/top of the lineup a chance to win the game with the winning run on 3rd/1st/or if they walk him...load 'em up w/ two outs.

Could that happend...or if intentional could you call the batter out and runner...something along the lines of willful and deliberate?

Last edited by johnnyg08; Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 07:57pm.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

IMO, I think the reason they have such poor grammar and run-on sentences is so they can cut down on the number of pages they have to print, which will save them some money.

I doubt that's the reason. Writing always shrinks with good editing. When I edit an article for a medical journal, the text usually shrinks 10 to 15 percent. In other words, 10 pages shrink to 9 or even 8½.

I would rather have a rule book that is spaced out properly with the rules clearly worded than have a crammed up rule book that saves me $4.

I agree 100%.

the runner could literally tackle the F5

That would be willful and deliberate interference and a double play.

Last edited by greymule; Wed Feb 13, 2008 at 05:26pm.
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greymule
I doubt that's the reason. Writing always shrinks with good editing. When I edit an article for a medical journal, the text usually shrinks 10 to 15 percent. In other words, 10 pages shrink to 9 or even 8½.

Well, that's a medical journal which IMO is a totally different writing style. The rule book is written more like a power point presentation- with "bullets" of information.

What I'm saying is that they are making less "bullets" and not spacing the rules properly and condensing the "bullets" into long run-on sentences which are (poorly) broken up with semi-colons.

A prime example of this would be 8-4-2g in your FED book
Old Wed Feb 13, 2008, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

I see what you mean about the bullets. But look at this:

NCAA wording: "A legally batted ball that while both the ball and runner are in foul territory, the runner interferes with a defensive player's attempt to field a batted ball." (28 words)

Edited wording: "A legally batted ball that is over foul territory when a runner interferes with an attempt to field it." (19 words)

Only a defensive player can field a ball, so we can dispense with the obvious "a defensive player's." Now why the original stipulates that the runner has to be in foul territory is beyond me. If the ball is over foul territory, the fielder is straddling the line, and the interfering runner is on the fair side of the line, would we call the play any differently?
Old Thu Feb 14, 2008, 01:46am
In Time Out

Send a message via AIM to fitump56 Send a message via MSN to fitump56 Send a message via Yahoo to fitump56 Send a message via Skype™ to fitump56
[quote=PeteBooth]
Quote:

Which begs the age old question

When are the Official Rules of baseball going to be re-written to "take-out" these ambiguities?
Pete Booth
Your choice, Pete:

a) No time before the Rapture
b) Before the Rapture
c) Right before the Rapture

MLB has a vested interest in not writing a definitive set of rules.