Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Is the BIG Game worth it

Hi all:

Amateur umpiring:

I believe most of us and least when we started umpiring had a goal of doing the BIG game be it a Regional / State HS Final or a College World Series Final.

What I have noticed is the following:

The higher you go the more intense the games are:

The question?

Do you ever ask yourself?

Self is it worth it?

Here's what I mean

I know some Varsity Officials that have asked to "go down" because they are simply fed up with the Varsity coaches. In basketball I know of several who do not want to move up. They prefer the modified game which is 5 quarters (at least in our area) and a continous clock. Hardly any-one in attendance and the game for the most part is a "no-brainer' meaning no intensity etc.

Since you are doing 5 quarters the FEE is roughly $15.00 less than a Varsity FEE but much less headaches.

Same is true for baseball officials. In my area there is a shortage so for the most part modified / Freshman games are done solo. You get a FEE plus 1/2. Therefore there is a roughly a $15.00 from the varsity Fee counting the extra FEE but just like basketball way less headaches.

In Summary have you ever felt that the BIG Game(s) are simply not worth it and I will stay with the less intense games and still earn a decent paycheck for my work.

Pete Booth
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
This definitely happens, IMO. But its really no different then other facets of life that people wish to "move up" in. You get to the point where you are satisfied, and do not wish to be a climber anymore. Job, Girlfriend, Money... you name it.

As for going down the ladder? Again, it happens. But not as much as it should. Particularly with baseball and basketball, being a varsity official should not be a life time job. Even if you are able to stay in shape, there gets to a point where you have seen too much, dealt with too much, and have lost your ability to view the game completely unbiased (at least in the game management realm).

I think some officials realize this and then take a step down for the good of the game. Others just keep whining about it, and become a worse official year after year at the varsity level.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 05:08pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
Hi all:

Amateur umpiring:

I believe most of us and least when we started umpiring had a goal of doing the BIG game be it a Regional / State HS Final or a College World Series Final.

What I have noticed is the following:

The higher you go the more intense the games are:

The question?

Do you ever ask yourself?

Self is it worth it?

Here's what I mean

I know some Varsity Officials that have asked to "go down" because they are simply fed up with the Varsity coaches. In basketball I know of several who do not want to move up. They prefer the modified game which is 5 quarters (at least in our area) and a continous clock. Hardly any-one in attendance and the game for the most part is a "no-brainer' meaning no intensity etc.

Since you are doing 5 quarters the FEE is roughly $15.00 less than a Varsity FEE but much less headaches.

Same is true for baseball officials. In my area there is a shortage so for the most part modified / Freshman games are done solo. You get a FEE plus 1/2. Therefore there is a roughly a $15.00 from the varsity Fee counting the extra FEE but just like basketball way less headaches.

In Summary have you ever felt that the BIG Game(s) are simply not worth it and I will stay with the less intense games and still earn a decent paycheck for my work.

Pete Booth
Personally, no. I am bored silly working JV/Freshman baseball, which is why I've not done a single one in 3 years. And that one was as a last minute fill-in. I've not done a subvarsity basketball game in about that long, either. I would rather stay home.

Part of the joy for me is the atmosphere, but also the pressure and accountability.

EDITED to add: Nothing wrong with working lower level ball, but there are only so many days in April and May and I can work a varsity HS or college game just about every day those months. So why wouldn't I? And I do need a day off once in a while and rather that than working a freshman game with non-existent pitching.

Last edited by Rich; Sun Feb 10, 2008 at 05:26pm.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

It is definitely worth it. I'm a young official and a competitive guy. I treat my officiating like it's any other sport that I play- if you're not working to improve on last year with a 'never satisfied' attitude, then you should quit right there since you won't be worth a damn to your team. I feel the saying applies to both officiating and sports. You either get better or get worse- there is no third direction in my book (sports or officiating).

This may not be true for some others who 'just like being out there' and don't care if they have a bad game or not. They will probably take a lower level game instead of a varsity game so they can get the "easier money." I use playoff and 'big game' selection as one of the many barometers to see where I'm at. This is why I participate on these boards and what not- to get better and learn from great officials since I want to be the best official I can be.

This is different for some who are grizzled vets that have accomplished very much in their career. In this case, I say that if you are umpiring at a level in which you are ABLE to work a 'big game', but you CHOOSE TO give way to a newer rising official in the name of being a mentor and giving them the experience in big games, then I say that's fine since you are improving the quality of your chapter by doing this by getting the young guys experience. This is ok doing it a few times, but not so much as to totally compromise your schedule.

But to answer Pete's scenario of giving up Varsity games to do JV and younger games for possibly more pay and less intensity- I would never personally do this (at least in this stage in my career. Year #4 coming up). I want to be in the highest league that matches my skill level. If i'm good enough to work low level non conference varsity games, I will work as much of those as I can. If I can work a championship, I will definitely work that. If I'm only good enough to do 9th grade games, I will work those.

But the point I'm trying to make is- I'm not going to trade off a more competitive game just to make it "easier" on myself.

This would be like Tom Brady going and playing in the CFL since there isn't as much pressure as being on an 18-1 NFL team and it's a little easier on him, IMO.

Last edited by bossman72; Sun Feb 10, 2008 at 05:13pm.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 07:11pm
Official Forum Member

Pete --

IMO, Taking the lower level game over the higher level gme is one of the signs of someone who is "just in it for the money."
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 07:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Call me what ever you like, but I cannot stand working lower level games. I love working the big games (in baseball that can be an oxymoron) or the game where something is on the line. Those are much more fun than working a game where the outcome means nothing. And in many cases I would rather travel and lose money to work that kind of game then stay in the back yard and work two terrible teams with nothing at stake.

Peace
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 07:34pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
Call me what ever you like, but I cannot stand working lower level games. I love working the big games (in baseball that can be an oxymoron) or the game where something is on the line. Those are much more fun than working a game where the outcome means nothing. And in many cases I would rather travel and lose money to work that kind of game then stay in the back yard and work two terrible teams with nothing at stake.

Peace
Why the knock on baseball, Jeff? There are just as many baseball games with something on the line as basketball. Is it the lack of a crowd and atmosphere that makes it seem less important? The slower pace?
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 07:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
We just got our new game fee schedule at our 'all day' meeting on Saturday. Most leagues are paying $53 for Varsity/JV 2 man games. They are paying between $75-83 for ONE MAN JV/Freshman games. I'd be interested to see who asks for those games. I suppose if you dislike the intensity of varsity baseball you could opt to work down.

I've done a few 'big games' in my career, and yes, I do get off on the pressure. If you are scared you might have to punch out the batter for the final out of a one run championship game, then you should find another hobby.

Play-off baseball around here only pays $5 more then a regular season game, so no, it's not about the money. They do reserve a parking place for us though, but they don't pay for gas. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, I drove about 4 hours one way for one of my semi-final NCS games this past year. Trust me, it was well worth the drive.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

Generally, I repeat, Generally, I have found that the amount of controversy, abuse, bench jockeying and holy-then-god coach attitudes allowed during a contest are directly proprotional to your ability officiate your contests.

If you allow it in your games, it will come back to haunt you. Then you start second guessing yourself and everything your doing. Next thing you know, it becomes everyone elses fault, (coaches, parents, player, AD's, etc) execpt your own, and you are probably the cause of your failure but , don't want to admit it. It is easier to say I want the lower level games because of the coaches or players, than because I can't handle it.

I can respect the official that realizes the limits of their officiating ability and backs off the more competetive contests however, usually this is not the case though and many have higher expectations than their ability really is.

Personally, I have found that officiating a higher competitive game is easier because you can expect plays to be made because the skill level is higher. Therefore you can generally, excerise the correct mechanics to make the correct call and not worry AS MUCH about the unexpected. Pitchers are more around the strike zone and catchers make sure you see the strike zone, outs are more routine on ordinary plays and the game is played more in line with the rules because the teams and coaches are more knowledgable of rules. Of course there are exceptions to this, but for the most part it is true.

Except for the fact that I probably feel worst about making a mistake during a contest than the teams, I definetly enjoy the challange of knowing that a game was farly played because I officiated it, and the higher the level, the more the reward. And yes, I do enjoy receiving a good days pay for a good days work.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
Why the knock on baseball, Jeff? There are just as many baseball games with something on the line as basketball. Is it the lack of a crowd and atmosphere that makes it seem less important? The slower pace?
The fewer people watching, the less the scrutiny.

You live in Big Ten country like I do. It is not about the nature of the sport or the pace. But do you really equate Big Ten Football with Big Ten Baseball?

Peace
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 08:50pm
Official Forum Member

I see it as a personal choice.

For most of us, we don't really see ourselves as others see us. It takes a very experienced and mature individual to have a solid, realistic view of themselves and their own abilities. I constantly seek feedback from those I trust. (i.e. more experienced than I at the matter in which I seek advice.) I love the big games and big crowds and better competition. I have no problem making a call that may be perceived as controversial. Called third strike, fair/foul on the line, no catch/catch on a diving outfielder, balk with go ahead run on third-whatever. I have made them all and do not regret or re-play a one of these calls. I will ask my partner for help on a call if I did not see it. Ultimately, IF it is my call to make, I will make it based upon my own knowledge, positioning and judgment. The bigger the better I say for me personally. For some, they do not need to be in the big games. Experience is only one factor. Ability, attitude, disposition and demeanor are several others. My two cents.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

I personally prefer to work the big game. I like to see the plays being made, the pitchers painting the plate, etc. I even enjoy having the coach come discuss a call - note I said discuss. I feel they have a job to do, that includes defending their team. I find that I have fewer issues with the coaches teh higher the level of play. However, the "meaningless" games get NO discussion about the calls - that's VERY nice. I'd rather be out there with the intensity of the big game. It may be left over from my playing days, but I just love that rush.

I have no problem doing lower level games, I hope I never feel that "I'm too good for that." But if you gave me a choice, I'm doing the big game - pay doesn't matter. To me the "easy money" doesn't come from the slow, error filled games - that's HARD work, even with a partner. I want to get as far as I can get with my ability, and being selected to do the big games is an indicator that my ability is improving and has been noticed.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 11:07pm
Official Forum Member

Goals

When I started, I started at a late age and worked HS games only, and my goal was to become more profiicient at the rules, because I was also coaching, at lower levels where my sons were playing. I had no aspirations to move up above HS.

Now they are grown and I realize it is too late to aspire to greater heights than working HS games, and some lower college games.

That being said, if I was only assigned JV games I would quit. I don't mind working an occassional JV game and in fact worked 5 last year as part of JV/V double headers and 1 as a late fill in.

But I WANT to work the big games and I WANT to work the plate for the big games. I don't do this for the money, although I would not do it for free. I would not work lower level ball for higher pay.

My second HS game last year was a plate game for me, the final score was 1-0. The winning pitcher pitched a 1-hitter and the losing pitcher a 3-hitter, both pitched complete games. The winning pitcher later signed to pitch for a major D1 school. You don't find this kind of game working JV ball.

Last edited by DG; Sun Feb 10, 2008 at 11:18pm.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 11:54am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
We just got our new game fee schedule at our 'all day' meeting on Saturday. Most leagues are paying $53 for Varsity/JV 2 man games. They are paying between $75-83 for ONE MAN JV/Freshman games. I'd be interested to see who asks for those games. I suppose if you dislike the intensity of varsity baseball you could opt to work down.
Are you with the CCUA by chance?

I love working the big games, be it the atmosphere, the higher quality of ball or the greater challenge to my skills, I'm always trying to advance within my abilities.

The money is a nice secondary benefit.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 02:10pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RPatrino Send a message via Yahoo to RPatrino
Welpe, I work for NEB (North East Bay) as well as MCON (Mid County). I do know a great many of the guys that work with CCUA, though.

-----------------------
We are stewards of baseball. Our customers aren't schools or coaches or conferences. Our customer is the game itself.