The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
" . . . will aslo do this as the BU if I have a partner who doesn't have good game management skills."

Let me quote the Oregon Athletic Officials Association "2008 Two Umpire Mechanics Training Manual":

"As plate umpire your OWN the pitcher and catcher . . . you are the only umpire that manages that portion of the game."

And then we continue in another section:

"As Base Umpire keep AWAY from the mound . . . the plate umpire OWNS and MANAGES both the pitcher and catcher . . . all you should worry about with a pitcher is balks and illegal pitches."

If you EVER inserted yourself as you have stated above you would not only be "dinged" on your evaluation you would most likely be assigned to frosh games.

Regards,
Tim, I find this interesting. I imagine your organization must have better training in game management than around here. Unfortunately, I've had the mis-fortune a number of times of working with partners behind the plate that allows the teams do as they like b/t half innings where it feels like 2-3 minutes if not more, this adds up to a game being much longer than necessary. Your org would let the BU(s) dye out there in this situation, that would make me more frustrated knowing I cant do anything about it.

I try to be sublte when doing this. When I feel its getting close to a min I jog back to A. I'll wait a bit, then if it they're still warming up and my partner has't done anything, I'll move up the line a bit and give he pitcher a little 'okay, lets get this game going.' It usually works well. Then usually b/t the next half innings I would try to get together with my partner and ask them to keep the game moving.

As for being asigned frosh (I assume JV) games. This is where I typically have this issue when they assign the younger guys with the geezers to help them break through.

BTW do you have a PDF of the training manual I would like to check it out?

Cheers
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

"BTW do you have a PDF of the training manual I would like to check it out?"

Since the manual is 133 pages it is a little large for a PDF e-mail.

Regards,
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

WinRar it then attach it. That will work fine.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 06:38pm
Veteran College Umpire

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMP25
You mean you don't use a sun dial, John?
Reminds me of the summer game when the batter came up to bat wearing his watch. I asked him to take it off and he said, "I'm timing myself around the bases". The catcher then said, "You need a calendar for that".

JJ
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
Lightbulb Game Timing

We use the stopwatch as a tool to measure our game management skills in the college game. It is also to track the time a game is delayed by weather issues. However the main reason for keeping the game time usually has to do with which Crew member gets his plate job finished first.
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy22
minor league umpires use stopwatches for pace of game, they allow 2 to 2:20 between innings.

last year in the league that i worked we could not start an inning before 2 minutes because of radio and or local tv
What leagues please ?
Old Wed Jan 23, 2008, 11:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceGator8
Virtually all of the sub high school ball we do has a time limit. All of us have a watch or some other timing device in our pocket or ball bag. Since I have to carry my phone at all times (real job) I just use the timer on my phone. No, I do not take calls during games.
You carry your phone at all times due to real job, but you do not take calls during games... Your job requires you to carry a phone, but not answer it? Uh, I confused?
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:48am
Official Forum Member

For timed games I use the Honig K45 lec tronic indicator.

Hint though; don't use the timer, 1.) cause at about the 3 minute mark it'll start giving one minute warning beeps and then, when times up holy stuff! I thought it was a fire alarm and nearly cleared the stands, luckily no one was hurt. 2. I inadvertently turned it off once, good thing it has a clock.
It's fine, but no noise.

Summer collegiate ball, had us give em a 1:30, prior to pitcher warms ups, then a minute or 8, we made it 8 if they wanted em. For radio, and rolling of dice, shooting shirts, raffles etc..good stuff. Ya didn't want balls flying around with kids, seniors and the like out there anyway. Covered in pre-game, no problems.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

http://northwoodsleague.com/Home.asp
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batboy22
Northwoods, an independent league is not part of professional Minor League Baseball. Whatever they do is not necessarily reflective of the "minor leagues."

Last edited by GarthB; Thu Jan 24, 2008 at 11:27am.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:16pm
Stop staring at me swan.

Northwoods is not affiliated with MLB...one might think of them as a league slightly more profitable than the XFL.
Old Thu Jan 24, 2008, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

the northwoods league is completely independent of milb and mlb i was just stating that in the northwoods league we use stopwatches to allow for radio and sometimes local tv. i do however know several minor league umpires and they use stopwatches to get innings started after 2 minutes
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 12:11am
Official Forum Member

I had one of those Honigs indicators, with the clock built in, and used it to prank a not so bright catcher. While reseting in between innings, this dull F2 asked me what it was. I told him it was a new radar strike indicator. If it beeps, it's a strike. SOOOOO, during the ensuing inning, I pressed a button and made it BEEP for every strike. Sure enough, on a close one that I called a ball the manager blurted out something, and my new best friend said back "Coach, it didn't beep, so it wasn't a strike". Classic.
Old Fri Jan 25, 2008, 04:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
You carry your phone at all times due to real job, but you do not take calls during games... Your job requires you to carry a phone, but not answer it? Uh, I confused?
If a server crashes or another problem occurs I'm notified automatically or otherwise by text. If necessary I can then take steps to get the problem fixed. Usually this can be done via a quick text to a subordinate. I work in the payment processing industry and in this situation I'm in charge and the buck stops with me. If things don't get back up quickly then the commerce of our clients grinds to a halt.

It is possible that sometime I'll get a call but this hasn't happened. Also the texts rarely come. I think I got one last season. That doesn't change the fact that I must carry my phone just in case.

Last edited by IceGator8; Fri Jan 25, 2008 at 04:53pm.
Old Fri Feb 01, 2008, 01:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylejt
I had one of those Honigs indicators, with the clock built in, and used it to prank a not so bright catcher. While reseting in between innings, this dull F2 asked me what it was. I told him it was a new radar strike indicator. If it beeps, it's a strike. SOOOOO, during the ensuing inning, I pressed a button and made it BEEP for every strike. Sure enough, on a close one that I called a ball the manager blurted out something, and my new best friend said back "Coach, it didn't beep, so it wasn't a strike". Classic.
It's good to see that fantasy is still trying its best to pass for reality!

Countdown timer is my stopwatch.