The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 1.63 average. Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 06:41pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up New Umpire Stuff

I got some umpire's stuff yesterday and am finally ready to look like a pro. Two pairs of REAL umpire's pants; one for plate and one for base. They will need to be hemmed as they are sold a bit longer. Also got a fitted cap so I won't have the stupid plastic adjusters. Lineup card holder. Navy ballbag as I was using a black ballbag to go with the navy shirt before. Umpire number. A couple bottles of some really nice shoe polish. And an awsome patented black leather belt which very few people have. One less thing to hold me back from university ball.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

nice work!! now you are on your way
It's sad when you're at a baseball game and realize that you'll never have the money, status or talent that the guys on the field take for granted. And it gets even worse when the grounds crew gives way to the players.
Old Sat Dec 08, 2007, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hickman
Garth..... take a breath and go easy on him

LMAOOOO.......
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 12:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaump6
One less thing to hold me back from university ball.
I can see the future; in it, you're going to be very sorry you put this one on a tee for your many detractors.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 03:11am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonInKansas
I can see the future; in it, you're going to be very sorry you put this one on a tee for your many detractors.
FORE!!!!!

Right down the middle of the fairway. Next to my ball.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

"Where'd that one go?"

"in the lumberyard."

D
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I got some umpire's stuff yesterday and am finally ready to look like a pro. Two pairs of REAL umpire's pants; one for plate and one for base. They will need to be hemmed as they are sold a bit longer. Also got a fitted cap so I won't have the stupid plastic adjusters. Lineup card holder. Navy ballbag as I was using a black ballbag to go with the navy shirt before. Umpire number. A couple bottles of some really nice shoe polish. And an awsome patented black leather belt which very few people have. One less thing to hold me back from university ball.
Looking right gets you to the first pitch. After that you're on your own... Besure you know what you're doing down to the last rule and mechanic. A Patent leather belt will do you no good if you're out of position to make a call.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

where did you get all of your stuff?
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 10:41am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel
Looking right gets you to the first pitch.
Only if you have an incompetent assignor......

Not looking pretty can be quickly and easily fixed. Competency for the level to be assigned is a whole different matter. If you have an assignor that just isn't desperate for bodies, he won't assign anyone to see that "first pitch" until he's confident that the person is ready to see that first pitch. Being properly dressed is a miniscule amount of what is needed to be ready.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

First, in defense of our young Canadian friend...

In the past, posters would wack him upside the head whenever he would post about his game day appearance. His admitted unprofessional sartorial practices garnered him the disdain of many and lectures of the importance of a proper uniform from others.

Now that he has taken steps to correct one of his "problems", posters either ignore the improvement of give it such short shrift that it appears near meaningless. No wonder the kid is confused.

Canada....congratulations on your new uniform. It will indeed help to look the part and, as you said, it represents one less thing you have to deal with in your journey to better games.

But, and you knew there was a "but", it represents only one less thing on that journey.

For your next step, do not call your assignor and say, as you basically said here, "Hey, I got me a new uniform, now give me some good games."

Let your assignor and peers discover your new "look". And let that discovery be based on the improvements you have made in how you umpire in your new uniform. The shiny belt and shiny shoes will look so much better when you are in the proper position to make a call. The well fitted pants will fit even better when you demonstrate good judgement in dealing with coaches. The new cap (God, I really can't believe you've been wearing an adjustable cap) will look better when it sits on a head that knows the rules and proper interpretations.

And the whole package will be seen in a better light here on the internet when its owner begins to accept the experience and help offered by trained umpires rather than arguing every time he is corrected and blaming his failures on others and whining about his age. As I've pointed out so many times, many umpires begin their professional careers at your age. Instead of complaining, they get training.

Brutally brief, Canada: Let this new umpire uniform be the beginning of a new umpire, and not slapping lipstick on a pig.

Good luck.

Last edited by GarthB; Sun Dec 09, 2007 at 01:18pm.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 04:04pm
Veteran College Umpire

"His admitted unprofessional sartorial practices.."

sartorial? I can't find that in my J/R, PBUC, OBR, LL, MiLB, FED, MAD, RD - ANYWHERE! HEP!

JJ
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 04:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to UmpJM
Cool

JJ,

Quote:
Sartorial

2. Of or relating to clothing, or style or manner of dress.

JM
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Now go out and attend a clinc of two and your on your way. With the uniform you can fool them for at least the first pitch, after that, good luck.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Interesting! We'll see if the recipe makes soup or dishwater.
Old Sun Dec 09, 2007, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the comments guys. And I don't plan on telling anyone about my new uniform, rather I'll let them see it for themselves. I hate to say it but I'll probably be one of the few people in my city and surrounding cities that is dressed professionally.