The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 10:33am
Official Forum Member

School question

If I could break the flow of postings from The New England Journal of Medicine for a moment....

I've put down a deposit for the Evans 5-week pro school in January. My question is a little different than what others have asked here and another forum, though.

I'm 43 in July, so I harbor no illusions I would get tapped for The Show, or even the first step of many that lead there. And having said THAT, I also wouldn't be presumptuous enough to say I'd have the skill to be selected if my age WEREN'T a factor. I'm going so I can a) get better, b) immerse myself in training, c) enjoy myself (in non-baseball stuff, too), and d) stay out of winter for 5 weeks. (Look, Hampton Roads doesn't have real winter - I get that - but after 6 1/2 years in the Outback, ANY cold weather feels miserable.)

So my question is: are there guys like me there? Not the ones that are definitely pro-ball material, or ones that could be pro-ball material with some more seasoning, or those that THINK they're pro-ball material, but just aren't. I mean, guys that know they're not heading for Yankee Stadium without a ticket, who want get better at the level they're at, and may aspire to college/summer league ball at some point (or whatever my association here takes on)? More importantly, are there enough of that type so that I won't feel isolated?

I want to learn from the best out there, since the opportunity is presenting itself, and am willing to pay for that teaching. But I also don't want to be the one AV nerd amongst all the stud athletes, either.

If there's anyone that's been to the pro schools, from any perspective, that would like to address what I wrote, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 10:45am
Is this a legal title?

If you're serious about immersing yourself in training, that's all you'll have time for.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:03am
Veteran College Umpire

Yes, there are guys there who have no aspirations of becoming a pro umpire. Some just want to be better "local" umpires. Some have been sent by a local association to learn what they can to share back home. Umpire schools are for umpires to learn to be better umpires. Only the BEST get a shot at pro ball.
Go, have a good time, but don't expect a vacation by any stretch of your imagination. You'll be working hard, and you'll come back in better physical condition than you think. Matter of fact, if you aren't in shape now, NOW is a good time to get a head start on school. Work the legs - you'll be on your feet a LOT!

JJ
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:10am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Yes, there are guys there who have no aspirations of becoming a pro umpire. Some just want to be better "local" umpires. Some have been sent by a local association to learn what they can to share back home. Umpire schools are for umpires to learn to be better umpires. Only the BEST get a shot at pro ball.
Go, have a good time, but don't expect a vacation by any stretch of your imagination. You'll be working hard, and you'll come back in better physical condition than you think. Matter of fact, if you aren't in shape now, NOW is a good time to get a head start on school. Work the legs - you'll be on your feet a LOT!

JJ
So if the OP is one of the best he'll get a shot at pro ball?

I doubt it if he's 43.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieUmp
So my question is: are there guys like me there? ... I mean, guys that know they're not heading for Yankee Stadium without a ticket, who want get better at the level they're at, and may aspire to college/summer league ball at some point

Thanks!
Yes, there will be guys like you. But I have one point of advice. The 5-week pro school teaches folks how to become PROFESSIONAL umpires, to work in a PROFESSIONAL games, played by PROFESSIONAL players, using PROFESSIONAL rules. Although, the instructors might mention some of the differences in rules and mechanics between prod and FED, or NCAA at weekend clinics you might have attended around the country, they have no time or interest in doing that at the "big-school."

I suggest that you forget whatever you know about umpiring and immerse yourself in the mechanics and rules that they will teach you there. Never bring up or ask about any difference between prod and FED, or NCAA while you are there. The instructors won't know about them, nor will they care.

Once, you get home, you can get those differences striaghtened out on your own.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN
So if the OP is one of the best he'll get a shot at pro ball?

I doubt it if he's 43.
And no bookie would take that bet. As I said, looking at it objectively - not trying to talk myself up OR down - I harbor no illusion that I would make the short list, and even get a look, much less an actual offer. And if the numbers in MiLB are such that they'd reach that far down to me - say, a meteorite hit their annual meeting site, for instance - I'm no longer interested in working for poverty line wages; I've got enough financial obligations to be uncomfortable with that level of income. Would I like to? Sure. But there's too much reality in between me and that dream - reality of all types.

I'm just curious if it will be decently enjoyable. In Australia, in 2003, I went to Adelaide for their national school, which was an eight-day school, and it taught 2-man mechanics from the red book. (Although I've learned this year with my new association that either things have changed, or the Aussies simply do some things differently.) That school was a nice mix, but then again, there were no job offers involved; there's no pro system there, and you were going to umpire "back home." If you were good enough, and part of the system enough, you could get picked to do national school-age tournaments or represent Australia abroad, but that was it.

Thanks for the answers so far.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to bobbybanaduck
at some point in the first few days of school jimmy will ask the group at the end of the day to break into two groups; those that are interested in pro jobs, and those that aren't intersted. in my experience, the first time he asks this there are only a couple of guys that identify themselves as not being candidates for pro ball. if you are interested even in the slightest, stay with the big group. whichever group you choose, your training will not differ. i think he does this just to make a point that will be evidenced a few weeks down the road.

sometime in week 3 or early 4 he will ask again and you will see a difference in the number of guys that move to the non-candidate side. that is the time to make that decision, as that is when the evaluating begins. there is truth to what he says about the evaluation process. the instructors don't start discussing who to send until the last week and a half of school.

with all that being said, the answer to your question in the OP is yes. there are always guys there that are not interested in pro ball and are just there to improve. from my history of teaching there, those guys were some of the best to work with. they garner a lot of respect for making such a huge commitment to being there to improve themselves as umpires.

finally, if you decide that you want to pursue a job in pro ball, don't let the naysayers bring you down. if you demonstrate you are good enough, the instructors will send you to PBUC. getting out of PBUC, however, is another story altogether...
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
..... (Although I've learned this year with my new association that either things have changed, or the Aussies simply do some things differently.) .....
I have heard that they run the bases clockwise in Austrailia, is that true?
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_Siegel
I have heard that they run the bases clockwise in Austrailia, is that true?
You're thinking of the toilets.
Old Fri Nov 30, 2007, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

If you want to go to become a good umpire, then by all means go. You will be working hard throughout the school. Don't plan on going to go have fun down in the sun, you won't have time! Not if you truly want to improve and learn to be a good umpire. If you have all your work done, Sunday would be your only day to go about sight-seeing. I was 48 when I went, the oldest "old guy" was 68, so go forth young man, and take advantage of a great learinig experience.

Oh yeah, and start training NOW! Your thank those of us stressing this when you return.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 01:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
Sounds like daily stretching and exercise is followed by rigorous training and no "down" time.
Pretty much heard the same thing about military basic training many moons ago.
Wouldn't want to repeat that at my age with MLB umpires and pay for it.

I don't mind paying for umpire instruction, but I would like to save money on the "personal trainer" aspect of it.
I don't mind getting yelled at, standing around a lot, or running when absolutely necessary; but I just don't overindulge in the practice when it is no longer necessary. I wouldn't go out there "to get into better shape." Round is already a good enough shape.
Is there a more friendly, "non-combative" MLB umpire rules and mechanic clinic out there? Is there a FED or NCAA equivalent?
You sound like the perfect candidate for Lance's Baseball Umpire and Screen Door Repair School. If you can't make it to his trailer park, it's available by correspondence.

No need to be in good enough shape to officiate. Just good enough to get to the mail box.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is there a more friendly, "non-combative" MLB umpire rules and mechanic clinic out there?
Yes. They are called weekend clinics.

The "big-shcools" are designed to train professional umpires. Teaching the umpire candidates to be mentally tough is a critical skill. Most rookie professional umpires are in their early 20's with no experience at all on the professional level. These young umpires are going to step onto a professional field where the managers and coaches may have more years of professional experience then the umpire has been alive. These coaches and managers know all the tricks, and all the ways to press the right buttons to piss off the umpires. If they don't get tough at umpire school they'll get eaten alive on the job.

If you want to get training without the mental challenges of professional school then go to the weekend clinics like The Southern Umpires Camp, or one of Jim Evans' Classics.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 05:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
IfSo my question is: are there guys like me there? Not the ones that are definitely pro-ball material, or ones that could be pro-ball material with some more seasoning, or those that THINK they're pro-ball material, but just aren't. I mean, guys that know they're not heading for Yankee Stadium without a ticket, who want get better at the level they're at, and may aspire to college/summer league ball at some point (or whatever my association here takes on)? More importantly, are there enough of that type so that I won't feel isolated?

I want to learn from the best out there, since the opportunity is presenting itself, and am willing to pay for that teaching. But I also don't want to be the one AV nerd amongst all the stud athletes, either.

If there's anyone that's been to the pro schools, from any perspective, that would like to address what I wrote, please feel free to chime in.

Thanks!
I was in my late 30's when I attended. I went to be a better umpire and had no desire for a job.

I became a better umpire and worked occasionally as a fill in in long season A.

If you have the time and resources to go, go.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 10:24pm
Official Forum Member

5 weeks is a bit much for someone 43 and not interested in a pro job. The cost and and time away from work (assuming you work) will make this very expensive.

Take a weekend clinic, or 4-5 day clinic like Evans has and you will be a better "local" umpire.

If you are wealthy enough you don't need to work, and are interested in a physical and mental challenge, then take basic law enforcement training (BLET), or join a branch of the armed services (Army, Navy, etc.), if they will have you at 43.
Old Sat Dec 01, 2007, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Sounds like daily stretching and exercise is followed by rigorous training and no "down" time.
Pretty much heard the same thing about military basic training many moons ago.
Wouldn't want to repeat that at my age with MLB umpires and pay for it.

I don't mind paying for umpire instruction, but I would like to save money on the "personal trainer" aspect of it.
I don't mind getting yelled at, standing around a lot, or running when absolutely necessary; but I just don't overindulge in the practice when it is no longer necessary. I wouldn't go out there "to get into better shape." Round is already a good enough shape.
Is there a more friendly, "non-combative" MLB umpire rules and mechanic clinic out there? Is there a FED or NCAA equivalent?

You do what you can do. If you can't do the drills and or run 90', don't. You're not going there for a job, so you won't have to compete with any other student, other than yourself. If you dont currently stretch before you work a game now, you should. If you have any intent of working a 90' diamond, there is running involved. Again you don't have to, however don't expect to move up if you don't. If you're against doing drills and puttng forth an honest effort, I would suggest you save your money and find a weekend clinic close to home.

Last edited by justanotherblue; Sun Dec 02, 2007 at 08:31pm.