The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

off-topic, but did anyone see this in the side panel of any of the other umpiring videos on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdL0FEp3zhE
i thought that was kind of funny
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 10:53pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitump56
The play is live. If you interrupt potential defensive actions, or offensive reactions, with an ejection, and I'm either coach, you got a real problem coming.

Me. Regardless of the the idiot pitcher who most certainly needed an ejection. At the appropriate time.

This is an ole Memphis/Atlanta baseball stunt. LHP, LHB, he's in for one B, let P get tossed inappropriately, who cares if he sits. Get everyone riled up including PU and have him become the cener of attention, emotions up, team up.

Not saying this was the case in the video but sophisticated baseball game managers know this manuever by heart. So you learn to make ejections at the right time, in the right way.
If you are the coach that comes out, I doubt I would have any real problem. I would simply dump you right away also. I would not let it bother me to dump the pitcher, watch the remaining action until it was all over, then call Time (not a "T" technical foul), then calmly dump the manager when he comes out. I don't know any good umpires that would "get riled up" when ejecting someone. That's why we get paid the big bucks, to stay calm while others are losing it. I get downright peaceful just before I pull the trigger intentionally in order to keep my cool.

I don't know who taught you that the ball must be dead in order to eject someone, but they lied to you. Ejections during live action are quite commonplace and done at all levels of baseball.

You seem to think we are all a bunch of hayseeds who have never worked any classy, sophisticated baseball before, but you are certainly mistaken on that account.
Matthew 15:14, 1 Corinthians 1:23-25
Old Fri Nov 02, 2007, 11:21pm
In Time Out

Talking This Rock don't Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by briancurtin
off-topic, but did anyone see this in the side panel of any of the other umpiring videos on youtube? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdL0FEp3zhE
i thought that was kind of funny

It could have been worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI_v3k43pVo&NR=1
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 06:28am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BigUmp56 Send a message via Yahoo to BigUmp56
Quote:
The play is live. If you interrupt potential defensive actions, or offensive reactions, with an ejection, and I'm either coach, you got a real problem coming.

There's nothing to interrupt while issuing the ejection and watching continuing action at the same time. The only problem I see with one of the coaches coming out to ***** about the timing of the ejection is the additional pen to paper time I'll have to endure while writing my ejection report. That shouldn't take more than a minute of my time and less than a tenth of a cent for ink, so I won't be too torn up about it.................

Tim.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 07:08am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
F1, gone then or later? On tantrum start? With no "T"? you just screwed the pooch, you've been had. Then you toss the coach after you chased his pitcher down? You forced his hand, he had to come out on you, you're chasing his teenaged pitcher down like some crazed ape.

Who knows what you'll do next, you've already blown the ejection.
If you couldn't eject during playing action, hen they wouldn't have the statement in the rules about the ejection not becoming effective until the end of playing action.

Eject when the action occurs.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 08:03am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
F1, gone then or later? On tantrum start? With no "T"? you just screwed the pooch, you've been had. Then you toss the coach after you chased his pitcher down? You forced his hand, he had to come out on you, you're chasing his teenaged pitcher down like some crazed ape.

Who knows what you'll do next, you've already blown the ejection.
Who needs time? He came down to the plate ranting and raving. He'd be gone before reaching me. Teenager, adult, whatever. Ejection is effective at the end of playing action. Besides, in high enough level baseball, I'm happy to call time after a walk before watching everyone advance a base.

The manager would get one question: Who's the sub? If anything other than a substitute was given, the manager would go, too. I don't accept a manager tolerating or encouraging that kind of behavior from players.

Dear Moderator, thanks for deleting my post. God knows what we'd do without heavy-handed moderation.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

As for the second video. . .

I believe that umpire is a current MiLB umpire. I forwarded the video on to a MiLB umpire in my area to see his opinion, and he offered me that information. I wonder what the umpire schools would say about the handling of this situation? If he's this scared of an amatuer coach like we deal with on a daily basis, how does he deal with it in Pro ball?
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
I don't know who taught you that the ball must be dead in order to eject someone, but they lied to you. Ejections during live action are quite commonplace and done at all levels of baseball.

You seem to think we are all a bunch of hayseeds who have never worked any classy, sophisticated baseball before, but you are certainly mistaken on that account.
Thinking back on ejections I have done, I agree, a high majority were when the ball was live.

What I don't understand is why you don't have this guy on your ignore list.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 10:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins
If you couldn't eject during playing action, hen they wouldn't have the statement in the rules about the ejection not becoming effective until the end of playing action.

Eject when the action occurs.
Bob, what's the hurry? What is gained by interfering with play by ejecting while the ball is live if the player is allowed to continue in the play?

It is an association wide rule of ours. The only reason we can see to eject prior to the end of the play is that it satisfies the official's need to express his anger, or to make a bravado display of sort. IOW, it doesn't serve the game, the officials or the teams any value.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 10:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
What I don't understand is why you don't have this guy on your ignore list.
I confess, I peek.
Old Sat Nov 03, 2007, 10:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
It is an association wide rule of ours.
Didn't you make the rules? You are the boss there, right?

Quote:
The only reason we can see to eject prior to the end of the play is that it satisfies the official's need to express his anger, or to make a bravado display of sort. IOW, it doesn't serve the game, the officials or the teams any value.
That is a load of bovine manure.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
PU in 'Pissed Pitcher" vid is the gutless one. At least BU went over and kept F2 & F1 away. His herding of the PU reminded me of a MLB crew chief doing that not too long ago....
The rat that came out would have needed his car keys immediately as would [the former] F1.

Other vid shows an [IMO] inexperienced Official. Wandering around and following the rat shows inexperience. The rat, even if tossed, won that one. That guy seriously lost his temper, probably long before this tirade.

IMHO

Last edited by Rcichon; Sun Nov 04, 2007 at 02:41pm.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Bob, what's the hurry? What is gained by interfering with play by ejecting while the ball is live if the player is allowed to continue in the play?
there's no "hurry", but ejecting when the act occurs can help prevent further ejections (from others getting involved) and help stop the claim that you were "talked into it" by the team not committing the act.

Quote:
It is an association wide rule of ours. The only reason we can see to eject prior to the end of the play is that it satisfies the official's need to express his anger, or to make a bravado display of sort. IOW, it doesn't serve the game, the officials or the teams any value.
Well, good for your association. But, that's not the norm, and I haven't seen the need for such a rule.
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 09:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanDiegoSteve
Didn't you make the rules? You are the boss there, right?

That is a load of bovine manure.
Another one for "the list".
Old Sun Nov 04, 2007, 09:24pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG
Another one for "the list".
Heh heh, I peek at his posts too. I can't hep maself. I been hyp-mo-tized!
Closed Thread