The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 07:15am
Official Forum Member

new balance plate shoes

any opinions on the new balance plate shoes now that they have been around for a couple of years? how is the durability? i'm sure they are lightweight and comfortable. i'm really not sure about the look. i don't like the look of the rivets on the front of the shoe. are they covered by your plate pants?? thx.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to cowbyfan1 Send a message via Yahoo to cowbyfan1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
any opinions on the new balance plate shoes now that they have been around for a couple of years? how is the durability? i'm sure they are lightweight and comfortable. i'm really not sure about the look. i don't like the look of the rivets on the front of the shoe. are they covered by your plate pants?? thx.

I like them overall.. They are a bit snug putting them on for some reason tho. I feel like I can barely get the laces loose enuff to put them on.

Need an out, get an out. Need a run, balk it in.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

Maybe you bought a too small size.

I've bought two pairs for friends of mine, both a half size over their normal shoe size. Both rave about comfort and performance. Everyone I know that has these shoes love them. The looks are a personal preference, but they're starting to grow on me. I've switched to the NB 350 shoes for the bases, and they are fabulous.

No one I know of has complained about any sort of break down in the shoes.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

1. They come small. Order at least a half size larger.

2. If you have a high instep, they are difficult to put on.

3. Several MiLB umpire who wore them this year reported tearing of the leather where the metatarsal plate attaches to the shoe. I have seen four pairs so torn. (Mine aren't) One theory...the difficulty with which they go on creates the need to bend the plate back too far.

4. They are extemely comfortable and light.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggk
Durability suffers to comfort and lightweight on all surfaces.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

ugly

i'm sure they are comfortable - i love their base shoes- but the area of rivets looks terrible.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 06:49pm
Official Forum Member

I wore the NB plate shoes for 34 plates this year. They are very comfortable, light and offer great protection.

I've never noticed the rivets, myself. I had to go out to my equipment bag and take a look. Yep, they are black just like most of the shoe. I guess that's why I never noticed them.

Get a pair, you'll love 'em!
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 08:37pm
Official Forum Member

A longtime fan of the look and protection of the Davis plate shoes--I wore the high tops--I switched this year to the NB ones. In my 30-year career, they are by far the best plate shoes I have ever worn.

They do have a nice sheen to them, and they're the lightest, most comfortable ones I've ever worn. I've taken some hard shots off them in some D-I and independent pro ball games and have suffered no negative consequences.

Take Garth's and others' advice: order the next size up, and even the next width. I take 3E in width but went with 4Es on these and am glad I did, because the 3E ones were too tight.
Old Mon Oct 08, 2007, 09:59pm
Official Forum Member

i have the Davis plates now. you guys have convinced me to give these a try.
thx.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

I love mine. Just make sure you get the proper width also. As already mentioned, they run a little small, so at least a half size larger than normal. There was a problem in the past with the plate, however NB re-designed them from what I was told. I haven't had any problem with mine.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

New Balance 450 Plate Shoes

Great, light shoe. They take a great shine with liquid kiwi regular OR something I just discovered, liquid Kiwi Honor Guard-spit shine quality. Works great. Ditto on the sizing comments. I usually wear a 9 D, I got a 9.5 D. I am ordering a 10 D this winter and will sell the 9.5 D's on e-bay after the new ones are broken in. I routinely challenge catchers to a race to first and can keep up with most in these shoes. They wear like a running shoe to me. The base shoes, NB 350's, feel like you can run and jump all day long, like the old PF Flyers. Get both. You wont be sorry.
Old Tue Oct 09, 2007, 09:06pm
Official Forum Member

New Balance

I've worn the NB 450 and 350 since they came out and find them very comfortable. Neither pair has had any shoe polish on them. I spray them down with a mild soapy solution and they shine up good as new.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

I have never liked the hi-tops because it makes the ankle protectors on my shin guards splay out. However I am getting older and want to try them again. Who has the best price on these NB 450 plate shoes? Thanks in advance.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 12:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I went to the local place that sells New Balance shoes and had them measure my feet. They sell expensive shoes (think: Mephisto) in a connected store alongside their New Balance and their Stride Rite stores. They have a certified pedorthist (shoe fitter?) on staff there.

I was buying a 10.5 2E and the guy there said I was definitely an 11EEEE -- he also said most people buy shoes too small. I bought that size and it worked great, plate and bases.

I used my 350s for football this season (they are great unless the field is really wet or muddy), so I need to get a new pair or two before baseball season.
Old Sun Feb 10, 2008, 12:27pm
Official Forum Member

I wore my recently purchased New Balance high-top plate shoes yesterday at a high school jamboree for the first time. The comfort level was super, but by the end of the day (total of 16 innings), their weight was getting to be a factor. They are super heavy, but they are a size 13 4E. They do make the bottom of the shin guards splay just a bit. I took a shot to the top of my right foot and didn't even feel it. All in all, I think I'm going to be very happy with them. However, if I had the purchase to do over, I would have gotten the low tops due to the weight.