The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
Beating myself up about this one...

Last game of the day today. 2 strikes - check swing pitch that goes to the backstop. I call ball and wait for the catcher to appeal. He never does. Everyone yells throw to first, the catcher scrambles, gets the ball, and throws to first. Partner signals out!

Dang it, we huddled, my partner said he knew he went and didn't know that I didn't call it. Offensive coach was not too bad about it, he made some valid points towards me in a soft tone of voice which I bit my lip on because I knew he was right.

I'm assuming I should have just appealed it myself immediately, correct?

Like I said, I'm not too pleased about my gross miss.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:15pm
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
Last game of the day today. 2 strikes - check swing pitch that goes to the backstop. I call ball and wait for the catcher to appeal. He never does. Everyone yells throw to first, the catcher scrambles, gets the ball, and throws to first. Partner signals out!

Dang it, we huddled, my partner said he knew he went and didn't know that I didn't call it. Offensive coach was not too bad about it, he made some valid points towards me in a soft tone of voice which I bit my lip on because I knew he was right.

I'm assuming I should have just appealed it myself immediately, correct?

Like I said, I'm not too pleased about my gross miss.
If no one appeals, you call the pitch a ball, and no one else called the pitch a strike, why is the batter out? Do a pregame next time. You shouldn't appeal unless you need help and are blocked out. If you thought the batter offered, ring him up. Your initial call of ball is what muddied up the waters.

Use this verbal mechanic on a check swing.

"Strike, on the swing" or "Strike, on the pitch".

Then use the proper mechanic for which ever call you make.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:30pm
rei

2 strikes? Yeah, you should appeal yourself if you have ANY doubt.

Don't beat yourself up too much about it though.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

This wasn't the problem, ST. I didn't see a swing attempt - although BU said he easily went around. I was completely honed in on the pitch - curveball that was close to the outside corner. I could not rule if the batter swang because I didn't see the attempt that BU saw.

We did have a pregame - but next time I will add this sitch in.

I was waiting for the catcher to appeal because I figured he would, not because I thought he went. If I thought he went, I would have rang him up right there.
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:40pm
rei

With 2 strikes, I am VERY liberal with going for help without being asked. Your situation is the reason why.

Curveball outside with 2 strikes? I am going for help if he even moved his shoulders a bit!
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 10:45pm
rei

But I got to thinking, how could you not have seen in your peripheral vision the batters attempt? If you were keeping your head still and moving only your eyes, you should have seen the shoulders move.

Did you turn your head with the pitch? If you don't know, you should really have somebody keep an eye on you to see if you are moving your head with the pitch and put an end to that bad habit in a hurry!
Old Sat Oct 06, 2007, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Cub42
In a situation like you described, it is a good mechanic to go to your partner immediately for a check swing. This is a mechanic we use in higher level ball when you have a passed ball on a check swing of any kind. This will prevent a situation like you had, with a coach creating chaos, plus giving him the opportunity to take a stroll down memory lane. You do not need to wait for the catcher to ask you to check. This is also a good mechanic to employ on a 3/2 count on a check. Don't wait, go right away. Let it go and move on. It is how we learn
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 08:03am
Official Forum Member

Read the OP. Tuss did not have a swing, called the pitch a ball, nobody asked for an appeal. the count should now be 1-2. BU threw him under the bus. We can talk all we want about when to go for an un-requested appeal, but that is not what happened. Me and BU are having a serious heart-to-heart after the game.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 08:43am
Veteran College Umpire

In a case like this, if I see the catcher take off for the ball and hear people yelling, that's a tipoff to me that I might have missed something obvious to everyone but me and this might be a good time to ask for help.

Been there, done that. Learned from it.

JJ
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ
Been there, done that. Learned from it.
Ah, this is the magical part that seems to elude so many.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This wasn't the problem, ST. I didn't see a swing attempt - although BU said he easily went around. I was completely honed in on the pitch - curveball that was close to the outside corner. I could not rule if the batter swang because I didn't see the attempt that BU saw.

We did have a pregame - but next time I will add this sitch in.

I was waiting for the catcher to appeal because I figured he would, not because I thought he went. If I thought he went, I would have rang him up right there.
I am really trying to make sense of this?

If you did not see the attempt, which happens, then how in the world would you be expecting the catcher to appeal? Maybe he didn't see it either which seems obvious because he had to be told to throw to first.

Did your partner call him out for the attempt or for not reaching first before the throw. Was there a runner on first? How many outs? Did the batter have a right to go to first on a dropped third strike?

Missing the attempt is not all that bad, it happens.

But it is hard to give you our opinion, if were not given all the info.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2 strikes - check swing pitch that goes to the backstop. I call ball (sic) F2...throws to first. Partner signals out! My partner said he knew he went and didn't know that I didn't call it. I'm assuming I should have just appealed it myself immediately, correct?
Was BU calling "Out" for the B-R 3rd strike dropped, out on throw to 1B or 3Ks? If the first, then declare the count and reset the batter. If the second, then if BU has the authority, you have a K-Out. Why would you appeal if you have made a call of "Ball"?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why would you appeal if you have made a call of "Ball"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUmpire
Appealing immediately to your partner in the OP's situation is taught at the professional level to avoid the schithouse that can occur when B/R doesn't run and an appeal is requested after F2 retrieves the ball and BU rules strike 3.
I may be incorrect but I presumed that B/R did run (otherwise F2 would have a tag instead of a throw possibly); the OP has informed that he did not observe a swing which lead to "Why would you appeal if you have made a call of "Ball"?
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 04:02pm
Official Forum Member

Ok, I'll clarify.

I did not have a swing on the play. The batter half chucked at it, the pitch was very close on the corner and I was focused there. I balled it because I didn't see a swing, but clearly I just missed it.

BU called OUT, not strike. He thought that I had called a swing - said he looked at the ball going to the backstop (still he should have seen me not do anything... I don't know where he was coming from with this).

We huddled, he said he had a swing, which I told him that I never saw, but he told me it was pretty obvious. I told him that I don't see how we can end this without an out on the B/R.

The B/R never ran, the ball went to the backstop, the catcher retrieved it and threw to first.

Live and learn...
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 05:14pm
In Time Out

No appeal, no strike.

What's so hard to understand?

The both of you fabricated a strike out of thin air.