The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 07:41pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Red face

Honest, I've never done this before!

Boys V cross town rivals--1 point game--1 min to go--kid gets the ball on a bounce pass in the frontcourt out top (in the circle)--some confusion, defense is pressuring to start the 5 count, but they back off after two defenders collide--kid dribbles and I blew him for double dribble. I totally blew the call! I sold it well, but the crowd went nuts and my partners were in their areas and did not see. Anyway, the game goes to OT and the home team looses by 4. Sub-Varsity official who is doing an un-official evaluation comes in the dressing room after the game and said we called an excellent game. I asked him if I really did blow the call and he said yes! I have been kicking myself in the butt all day. My questions are:--How long does this sick feeling last? Is there anything I can do other than learn from the mistake? I have been calling for about 10 years and this is the first time I have ever "blown" one in a really tight and important game. HELP!
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 07:58pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

Great that you realized your mistake.

By the next game you should be concentrating on it rather than dwelling on the past.

Work hard and it will pass.

Now for an expansion of your situation:

3 years ago I had knee successful knee surgery and was keeping score when a similiar situation occurred, but this time the official called traveling on the player holding the ball. The crowd went crazy and and then there was a timeout called during which the coach of the team against who the call was made implored the official to change his call. Following the timeout the official got both coaches together and said that the player did not move his pivot foot and therefore he was rescinding the traveling violation. Needless to say this caused the opposing coach to go ballistic.

After the game the official asked me if I thought he had done right. I told him no, that he screwed up and would just have to live with the call.

What does everyone think?
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 09:42pm
Official Forum Member

Point well taken, we all mess up at one time or another. And in most cases we are the first ones that realize it.
I'd have to agree, that once you make a call go with it, you may look bad for the moment, but no where near as bad if you go around changing your call's, especially if after talking with a coach. You would never live that one down.
Good officials learn from their mistakes, and everybody makes them, sooner or later.
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 10:40pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

Did the players make any mistake's? Did the coach's make any mistake's? Did your partner's make any mistake's? Would the same call made at 4 minute's have sent the game to OT? OK you booted one! You most likely will boot a call in your future as well. You just learned a valuable lesson about yourself, you are human! You are not perfect, you have and are going to make mistake's. Sorry no way out of this one, you just have to get back on that horse and keep going.

Good luck

------------------
Don
Old Wed Jan 26, 2000, 10:49pm
Official Forum Member

Wink

If you ref long enough, you'll eventually and even occasionally have games where you just feel lousy afterward--whether from a particular "kicked" call or just a sloppy game in which you never felt in sync. In my experience, and in talking with other veteran officials who were lamenting a lousy game and wondering if they are really that bad, the feeling lasts pretty much until the next game. Then, assuming you get back into the groove and have a decent game, you'll feel the confidence come back and say, "Yea, OK, I can do this game." Just hang in there and the sick feeling inside will soon go away.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 01:24am
Official Forum Member

BK as everyone knows we all miss calls.
Get back in the saddle and don't worry about it too much or you will lose your confidence.
One way to prepare for these situations is to keep a log boook of all the games you work. This will help you discover any "problem areas you need to work on.
Another way to prepare is to have a written pre-game card and a thorough pregame with your partner(s) or by yourself if you have to.
Lastly, try to use some self talk during deadballs and while the ball is in play to prepare yourself for tight situations.
Hope this helps. Good Luck.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 02:10am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Alaska Ref
Cool

Just another thought on your situation, you can load yourself down with all this guilt. Let it go because the coach's and player will be beating you up with or without your help.

------------------
Don
Old Thu Jan 27, 2000, 07:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to BK
Thanks for the advice guys. I have ball games every Tues & Fri. for the remainder of the season. I talked with one of my partners and one of my mentors at the assoc. meeting last night and feel a lot better about the game now. You guys are first class.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

IT IS TRUE THAT YOU HAVE GOT TO"GET BACK IN THE SADDLE AGAIN" AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
IF YOUR PARTNER IS THE ONE WHO KICKED ONE HELP HIM/HER BACK IN THE GAME WITH POSITIVE REINFOCEMENT ON THE NEXT OPPORTUNITY I.E. REMINDERS OF THE GAME RESET (TIME OUTS/FOUL SITUATIONS ECT.). THE BEST THING YOU CAN DO FOR BOTH OF YOU IS TO GET BACK ON TRACK AS SOON AS POSSIBLE WITHOUT PRESSING TO GET THE NEXT CALL PERFECT. USE ANYTHING YOU CAN TO RELAX... DEEP BREATHING, SHOULDER RELAXATION. FIND WHAT WORKS FOR YOU TO FINISH THE GAME STRONG!
Old Fri Jan 28, 2000, 03:57pm
Official Forum Member

Your situation is one where you may have been able to change the call right away after realizing your error. There is really nothing open to interpretation or judgment. The player did not double dribble. What would impact the outcome of the game more? Living with the blown call and taking the ball away, or giving it back to the offense and living with the embarrasment. It's a no win situation for the official, but I don't think anyone could fault you for trying to keep it from affecting the outcome of the game.

On a personal note, I had a similar situation occur when I anticipated a palming violation as the player crossed the ball over in front of a defender. I blew the whistle right as he palmed the ball and did not put it back on the court. I though for a second I could call travelling, but he didn't travel. I simply said my fault and gave the ball back to the offense. The only thing the opposing coach said (it was right in front of his bench), was "Bryan, I though he was going to do it too." Obviously we can't make a habit out of this type of thing, but when it's obvious, I think it's the right thing to do.