The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPatrino
This situation brings up a question. I have seen other's point at the plate when a run counts, and I have done it before. If Tim Mc would have done this and emphatically signaled safe, all this hooha would have been avoided.

Now, I don't advocate doing it on every run, as I have seen before. But in certain critical situations, why not? Your thoughts?
Indeed. It references your call, the point followed with a declaration as simple as "Hand!" is a powerful tool for the experienced umpire.
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I agree with you in that McClelland could have been quicker on the safe signal.

But as pointed out earlier in this thread, McClelland was rated the No. 1 umpire in the league by the players. I think his competence is unquestioned. He got this call right. He just could have been quicker about letting us know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interested Ump
I never enjoy seeing a brother official make a public fool out of himself. I cringe at Mr. McClelland's repeated attempts to do so. If PU had a touch, and a loose ball, he has "Safe". McClelland's insistence on slow mechanics across all calls severely damaged the authority of this call. In turn, it equally damaged the perception of his competence.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates
Old Sun Oct 07, 2007, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaliix
I agree with you in that McClelland could have been quicker on the safe signal.

But as pointed out earlier in this thread, McClelland was rated the No. 1 umpire in the league by the players. I think his competence is unquestioned.
No longer.